Page 79 of 86 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2020

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    I think it's way too early for me to try to convince anyone to choose one candidate from the field of announced candidates, let alone for me to allow anyone to convince me to settle on one candidate. I'm planning on waiting until at least the first round of debates. There's not a single announced candidate that I've ruled out or would rule out at this point.
    I agree, I suppose my comments were more about the Vanity Fair article. Celebrity worship for the 1% (ok, maybe 10%).

Well, it is crude yellow journalism, but it may still sink Beto. Fox News is basically suggesting he wants to murder children and steal all their computer passwords, because he wrote a short story ad a 15 year old where the character in the story went on a !murder spree that included running over kids. And he was part of a hacker group, though he didn't do anything wrong while in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Well, it is crude yellow journalism, but it may still sink Beto. Fox News is basically suggesting he wants to murder children and steal all their computer passwords, because he wrote a short story ad a 15 year old where the character in the story went on a !murder spree that included running over kids. And he was part of a hacker group, though he didn't do anything wrong while in it.
    I've seen a ton of stuff about Beto since he announced, but hadn't seen that. I can't imagine that it will affect many Democratic primary voters. From all I've read though, i have a hard time seeing how he will have much appeal or will last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I've seen a ton of stuff about Beto since he announced, but hadn't seen that. I can't imagine that it will affect many Democratic primary voters. From all I've read though, i have a hard time seeing how he will have much appeal or will last very long.
    He doesn't have a large and substantive record of political accomplishment, and that may well be his downfall in a presidential race, but in terms of being able to persuasively advocate for the Democratic agenda to a broader audience and his ability to connect with and energize a crowd, he reminds me a lot of Obama.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    He doesn't have a large and substantive record of political accomplishment, and that may well be his downfall in a presidential race, but in terms of being able to persuasively advocate for the Democratic agenda to a broader audience and his ability to connect with and energize a crowd, he reminds me a lot of Obama.
    Yes, me too. It will be interesting to see how he does and how he defines himself. He, like all of the candidates, will continue to be tested, by opponents and the media. How the candidates respond and overcome will go a long way in to determining who survives this gauntlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    First off, I should give Beto some credit for taking on the greatest politician in the history of the world and nearly beating him. You've probably seen a lot more of him than I have. From what I've read he seems to promote Bi-partinsanship and moderate policies more than the "Democratic agenda" which is actually really difficult to define since it covers quite a range of policies. It will be interesting to see how far he shifts to the left for his presidential campaign and how much enthusiasm and support he can get when competing with national Democratic politicians and not Ted Cruz.

Beto is refusing to reveal his 1st day fundraising totals, and I saw a clip talking about a 1st day haul mentioned by Betos staff. $5000. If true, thats an absolute disaster.

Did none of you watch that announcement speech clip in the same way you would a skateboarder tackling a 100 ft rail grind? Appropriate metaphor for Beto, I think.

It was all gobbledygook. Something like "if we gather our shared ambitions, and enable the strength of our democracy, through our convictions, every one of us can enact the change necessary to come together, as one people, in an era of division... " blah, blah, blah. I think comparisons to Obama are extremely insulting to the intelligence and oratory skills of Obama. "Born to be in it, man." Obama derived his cool-factor by speaking with incredible insight, intelligence, conviction, and wittiness. Do you guys honestly see the same from Beto? Do I need to start quoting his actual words to show you what a shallow idiot he is?

Big Leaguer
    Teen, same feeling. Beto might be a swell guy but there is no resemblance in stirring oratory, or charisma, intelligence, integrity, or any of 100 other qualities, to Obama. If Obama could run now, he would win by a record margin, not party nomination but Presidency. This all feels like a shabby school play now, these candidates dont inspire. Well, Bernie does, and, though there is nothing he can do about it, he is 450 years old, so that is a bummer. But the road is long, and plenty will change as candidates become someone to remember, or drop out.

Quote Originally Posted by gcstomp View Post
    Teen, same feeling. Beto might be a swell guy but there is no resemblance in stirring oratory, or charisma, intelligence, integrity, or any of 100 other qualities, to Obama. If Obama could run now, he would win by a record margin, not party nomination but Presidency. This all feels like a shabby school play now, these candidates dont inspire. Well, Bernie does, and, though there is nothing he can do about it, he is 450 years old, so that is a bummer. But the road is long, and plenty will change as candidates become someone to remember, or drop out.
    I need to actually watch Beto more, it seems. I've only seem him in sound bites, and read accounts so far. I'm pretty ignorant of him as a candidate, and I agree, he is a long way from the polished orator Obama was. I guess I'm most drawn to the contrast in styles and message between him and Trump at the moment, but I'm not suggesting that should be enough for him to win out, or that it will be. He does seem to have some appeal, so I think he will be in the mix, but I could be wrong. I plan on trying to watch as many of the debates as I can to get a sense of all of these candidates. Right now many of them I see through the filters of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I need to actually watch Beto more, it seems. I've only seem him in sound bites, and read accounts so far. I'm pretty ignorant of him as a candidate, and I agree, he is a long way from the polished orator Obama was. I guess I'm most drawn to the contrast in styles and message between him and Trump at the moment, but I'm not suggesting that should be enough for him to win out, or that it will be. He does seem to have some appeal, so I think he will be in the mix, but I could be wrong. I plan on trying to watch as many of the debates as I can to get a sense of all of these candidates. Right now many of them I see through the filters of others.
    This is a great point. I'm confident Bernie has turned the corner, but that's because I'm viewing what he does with a microscope. I'm also laughing at the media slant against Bernie again. It's hilarious to see them attack Bernie over his campaign sexual misconduct multiple times, when you had the same thing happen on Clinton '16, same thing on Kamala Harris without a word... Kirsten Gillibrand's campaign saw someone resign over their sexual misconduct claims being ignored, and you don't hear a peep from MSM. People are smarter than this crap, and it's exactly what emboldens his supporters against criticism. Bernie's critics have all made themselves look foolish for years in their dismissal of him. It only gets funnier, as they show polls with him closing a 13 pt Biden lead down to 2, and they'll do 10 mins of speculation on Biden without mentioning Bernie at all. This clear attempt to guide voters away from Bernie is so transparent that it becomes largely ineffectual. In such a large field, the winner might only need 20-30 % of the votes to win the nomination. Can't wait for Biden to run, split more votes.