Page 77 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2020

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    Dragging stuff up that he said 25 years ago isn't going to sway many people who weren't going to vote for him anyways IMO.
    His gaffes are both historical and ongoing.

Complimenting Mike Pence on his moral character is an unforced error, and that's not even a policy issue, that's his 1990's thinking that promising to work towards bi-partisan compromise is a winning strategy. He is a dinosaur. His record is terrible, whereas Bernie was saying everything that he's saying now about wealth inequality in the early 80's. That gives him credit for being right, and believability because he's never wavered.

Andrew Yang is a bigger threat to Bernie than Biden, imo, because they're fighting for the same base. Yang made strong appearances on Joe Rogan and Breakfast Club, and UBI could be the one policy that could pull voters away from Sanders within the progressive base of the party.

Suburbs of Minneapolis...close to Hornsby
    Why were Obama and Hillary given passes when their position evolved, but Biden and others get no such mercy/pass?
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    His gaffes are both historical and ongoing.

Complimenting Mike Pence on his moral character is an unforced error, and that's not even a policy issue, that's his 1990's thinking that promising to work towards bi-partisan compromise is a winning strategy. He is a dinosaur. His record is terrible, whereas Bernie was saying everything that he's saying now about wealth inequality in the early 80's. That gives him credit for being right, and believability because he's never wavered.

Andrew Yang is a bigger threat to Bernie than Biden, imo, because they're fighting for the same base. Yang made strong appearances on Joe Rogan and Breakfast Club, and UBI could be the one policy that could pull voters away from Sanders within the progressive base of the party.
    Your quote reminded me of this article I saw a few days ago. I used to read Brad DeLong's blog until I couldn't take it anymore.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ft-brad-delong

Quote Originally Posted by In the Corn View Post
    Why were Obama and Hillary given passes when their position evolved, but Biden and others get no such mercy/pass?
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... you'll never get fooled again.

The age of the horoscope President (project your own values onto them), is over. Obama/Hillary are the exact reason you have Trump. Voters won't allow another neo-liberal to win the primary, only to nosedive and crash and burn.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Your quote reminded me of this article I saw a few days ago. I used to read Brad DeLong's blog until I couldn't take it anymore.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ft-brad-delong
    Fantastic article filled with everything I've been saying.

Obama's centrist compromises were spat on, and gave Republicans the incentive to be the obstructionist assholes they are today, because it worked! Never again.

Or Buttigieg. I do think that as the less well known candidates get more well known, some young voters may move away from Bernie toward a younger progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    Or Buttigieg. I do think that as the less well known candidates get more well known, some young voters may move away from Bernie toward a younger progressive.
    I would worry about that more if Bernie wasn't reaching out to centrists, but his embrace of identity politics means he's running double barrel on the most popular policies as well as a compelling personal story. Targeting every segment of the Dem voter base, I think his strategy will be highly successful. Look at the chuckle he gets over his Trump joke about allowance. He's relatable and likable despite being a gruff and repetitive ancient politician. He's also speaking in a lot of the populist anti-establishment messaging that Trump won using. They've got nothing that can outflank Bernie on policy or personality, other than a Hail Mary UBI policy from Yang, but that might only happen if Feb's brutal job numbers continue for another year plus.

I liked Yang's take on UBI on Rogan. He seems like a smart guy, but it doesn't seem like he will get much traction. I also liked his take on why free college for all may not be the best solution to the tuition crisis in this country.

whats up with the position of breaking up facebook, google and amazon because they are so-called too big? anyone have an opinion on the position. not to be misogynist but i say that's wacko-talk. heh

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I liked Yang's take on UBI on Rogan. He seems like a smart guy, but it doesn't seem like he will get much traction. I also liked his take on why free college for all may not be the best solution to the tuition crisis in this country.
    Saw this article today. Whether or not now is the right time, I think it is good that this concept is being discussed

https://www.fastcompany.com/40549433...income-in-2020

Andrew Yang has a one word answer for why he’s running for president in 2020. It’s not Trump, or healthcare, or fame. It’s automation: the way in which machines are taking away jobs already and are set to take away many more in the future. “To me, this is an elephant in the room that’s stomping around and making a mess and everyone seems to be ignoring it,” he says.