No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if Teenwolf and/or GITH will like this analysis or hate it, but I'm growing more comfortable with Sen. Sanders's presidential prospects.

The Democratic establishment should chill out about Bernie Sanders

He has a long track record as a fairly banal, reasonably effective, and reasonably popular legislator.

Comment

• if Russia or the US really wanted to destroy each other, there's really nothing either one could do a. Russia could send nuclear powered nuclear torpedoes to strike the coasts anytime, and the US would respond with mobile remote nuclear arms. everything is already past the point of unsafe before albeit in the hands of a dopey president. heh

Comment

• latest poll from Morning Consult/Politico (1,992 RV) is not good news for the Dopey One:

- 39% approve, 57% disapprove
        - just 33% of female voters approve
        - households earning under $50k is now at just 36% approve
        - he gets only a 40% approval on the economy
        - he gets failing grades on all issues besides Security
        - on Health Care, just 22% are in favor with a whopping 60% strongly disapproving
        - just 24% would definitely vote for Trump, 49% definitely for someone else
        - Biden 42%, Trump 34%
        - if your fear is milennials not wanting an old white man as the Dem nominee, fear not -- Biden has a whopping 25% lead over Trump among those demographics

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          Not sure if Teenwolf and/or GITH will like this analysis or hate it, but I'm growing more comfortable with Sen. Sanders's presidential prospects.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...liberals-chill
          Thanks for posting this. It addresses some of my concerns regarding how pragmatic Sanders would end up being both in a general election and while in office. I too think he has as good a shot as any of getting the nomination and I think he can win. I'm surprised the age thing has sort of fizzled out. If he wins, at age 77, we will be the oldest president ever elected, topping the previous record holder, Trump, who was 70, by 7 years.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-24-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            Not sure if Teenwolf and/or GITH will like this analysis or hate it, but I'm growing more comfortable with Sen. Sanders's presidential prospects.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...liberals-chill
            You guys are all missing my point.

BTW Screed is a good name for a band..........

I'm not here to say i'm Better than others as DMT alluded to, I'm saying I hold the moral high ground. If you construe that to mean I'm better, that's your problem.

I hold the moral high ground becuas ei have decried Clinton and trump from day one.

Those who support trump have NO moral high=ground, they have given up their integrity, morality and and intellectual acumen to gain what? 2 SCOTUS appointees and a few ducetts in their 401K?

Those who supported HRC and bash those who support/do not bash Trump are just Hypocrites, she was unethical, but they didn't care just as those who supported/support Trump don't care--but for some reason they feel they are in some way less complicit in the results because they're platforms/ideals are in the greater good, superior to those on the right.

]Yes, the Democrat/liberal platform is fundamentally more intelligent/factual/greater good biased than the GOP platform, but who the fuck cares anymore?

Politics has become Fuck You and try to stop me. Trump does what he wants and dares the powers that be to stop him and how has that gone? He's gotten 2 SCOTUS appointees., he's flooding the lower courts with his people, he lies with impunity, he could give a shit less about anything but what he wants and guess what--He's getting most of it.

Democrats stand around saying OMG this is so outrageous while Trump bulldozes their pansy asses. Sure the Dems are absolutely right about this, but you can;t win a fight when you've been knocked on your ass.

Trump says FU, and issues an Executive order, the state says FU and say we'll do what we want, the city/county officials sa FU to the state and do whatever they want. Sure it all get's tied up in court, but in the mean time the Better to ask forgiveness, rather than permission attitude succeeds.

My Screed, Trollish rant was this.

Like it or not, trump won because he played to the extreme and to beat him, democrats must do the same--access emotion rather than intellect. Sure you're right, incremental, bipartisan policy is the best for the nation, but it can;t be implemented if you're sitting on the sidelines.

Win first, sweat the details later and you won't be winning with Biden or any other centrist.

Again, I'm not here saying Im better, Í'm saying I'm right.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind ad BG said, this place has become an echo chamber and I, nor any of you no matter who eloquent you might be, are going to change that.

But seeing as how you are all so dug into your positions and perspectives, I thought I'd just enjoy being right one more time.

You're smarter.

You're more diplomatic.

You're more eloquent.

But I'm righter.

And that's what I came here to say in the first place.

That and I am starting a band called Screed and the Troll...............

PS Fresno, you're spot on about Barbie's boyfriend.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Joe Biden announces his candidacy, yay! I can't wait to watch him punch himself in the face for a year!
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Did Kamala Harris jump back ahead of Beto and Buttigieg after the CNN debate marathon? I'm hearing she had a good performance.

With Biden jumping back in, what are the odds we see something like Bernie 40%, Biden/Harris/Buttigieg in some order at let's say 33/18/5... if no candidate accrues 50% of the votes in the primary, and no unity-ticket is proposed, then it goes to a 2nd vote including the super-delegates. So then super-delegates vote to approve the unity ticket of 2nd/3rd, screw Bernie if he's under 50%, and watch as Progressives burn the fucking country down voting 3rd party. It should concern you that DNC insiders are already worried about the optics of screwing over Bernie again (they worry about the result of WHEN they screw him over, not worried about whether to screw him over or not), so I think they might prefer to force Bernie to have a centrist VP, rather than a Tulsi Gabbard or Nina Turner, but if they think they can get away with screwing Bernie again, they will attempt to do so. I also predict MSM will start pushing the other progressives at some point as an attempt to siphon votes from Bernie and keep him under 50% on the first ballot. Still hopeful he can surpass 50%, crush the field, and force the centrist Dems to unite around him, but I'm not holding my breath. Current atmosphere doesn't look good, with CNN asking about the dangers of turning into a communist country, and if the Boston bomber should have the right to vote, and all the other smears, it looks like they'll continue to attempt to attack Sanders and keep him under 50% if at all possible. I agree with B-Fly's Vox article, this is self-defeating, as Bernie is the likely Dem nominee, and it's exactly what Obama decried as a "circular firing squad".

I wouldn't mind if Harris rose to 2nd, and Sanders/Harris was the ticket, if Bernie adopting a centrist is the only path to the WH. I think Harris is a phony on major issues, but she wouldn't find it so easy to backpedal if she were Bernie's VP. How is that for pragmatism? Oh, and she has that pigmentation you're all so eager for the Dem ticket to have. Even if most of the black voters turned on her the minute she claimed to listen to Snoop Dogg & 2Pac while smoking weed in college... in the 80's. Let's stick to the important issues. If you're going to talk hip-hop, do a little more prep work to avoid looking dumb. (I'm mostly joking, but it is a symbol of her phony facade that she made such a dumb mistake and blatant lie about a non-issue)
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• CNN has Bernie ranked #1, but I'm sure it's just because they love a good upset story that they can help orchestrate.

Bernie Sanders has been running for president for the last four-ish years straight. In the wake of his closer-than-expected primary loss to Hillary Clinton in 2016, Sanders kept his massive grassroots organization active and made sure anyone and everyone knew that he wasn’t done with this whole “national politics” thing.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                    Joe Biden announces his candidacy, yay! I can't wait to watch him punch himself in the face for a year!
                    What do you guys think of his launch, talking about Charlottesville and how Trump is an evil villain? Think it's got legs? Maybe we should ask Hillary?

Did anybody think it was a strong launch message? Revo, you seem like Biden's biggest supporter around here. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      CNN has Bernie ranked #1, but I'm sure it's just because they love a good upset story that they can help orchestrate.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/04/24/pol...%3Frefresh%3D1
                      First, this poll ignored Sanders. There was an early video highlighting the top 10, and it had 9 faces, with no Bernie... that one was amusing. There were clips of Harry Enten and Cilizza saying that Sanders was sure to fade, that he was only polling well due to name recognition, etc... Remember the whole narrative these guys were pushing that "Bernie isn't necessary anymore because everybody else has adopted his policies"? The narrative about his sexual assault claims hurting him, or not releasing his taxes and how that makes him equivalent to Trump... "Trump of the Left"... on and on... it won't stop.

But I enjoy their new strategy of calling him the frontrunner well past the point it was obvious. We'll see how they spin things going forward. I think they're a bit worried Mayor Pete hasn't caught fire as much as they'd hoped... but I'm truly confused why they call Kamala Harris' performance the worst of the 5 town halls from this week. She's the strongest supporter of Med4All among the centrists, maybe stronger than Warren even (maybe that's why they don't support her anymore?). She also had that great answer on gun control, and her hesitation on restricting inmates from voting comes from her prosecutorial background, so I trust that she knows it's a complex issue, despite everybody wanting things dumbed down and binary. Being attacked by CNN for nuance is exactly their style.

Comment

What do you guys think of his launch, talking about Charlottesville and how Trump is an evil villain? Think it's got legs? Maybe we should ask Hillary?

Did anybody think it was a strong launch message? Revo, you seem like Biden's biggest supporter around here. Thoughts?
                        I'll support anyone who can evict Trump. If that's Biden, that's great.

As far as his kickoff message, it was fine. The Charlottesville episode was one of the lowest points in American political history, so why not use it against him? Not sure what Hillary has anything to do with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          I'll support anyone who can evict Trump. If that's Biden, that's great.

As far as his kickoff message, it was fine. The Charlottesville episode was one of the lowest points in American political history, so why not use it against him? Not sure what Hillary has anything to do with this.
                          I'm positing that Biden's method of campaigning is going to seek to emulate HRC, by speaking in generalities like "redefining the soul of America". I think he's attempting to target minority voters by highlighting Charlottesville. I wonder how much he's going to cling to Obama, calling himself "an Obama-Biden Democrat" as he's been doing recently... sure sounds awkward. He should just change his first name to Obama and run as "Obama Biden 2020".

Also, media has been whispering about Biden's record fighting against desegregated bussing, and the consensus seems to be "wow, that hurts". Not from me, from MSNBC and the like. So he needs all of the "progressive messaging" (as if being anti-nazi counts for progressive, whatever) he can manage if he wants to survive his track record. Never mind Hillary's speeches to Goldman Sachs, let's see Biden's eulogy from Strom Thurmond's funeral to see the type of scumbags Biden makes political bedfellows with.

If Biden wins, the Dems lose. This old man, fight behind the school crap is so juvenile. I hope Biden faceplants and exits early enough not to damage the Democratic brand too badly. Just one Bernard Brothers' opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            Like it or not, trump won because he played to the extreme and to beat him, democrats must do the same--access emotion rather than intellect. Sure you're right, incremental, bipartisan policy is the best for the nation, but it can;t be implemented if you're sitting on the sidelines.
                            fwiw, I think the above is bang on. Who can appeal to broadest range of dem voters at an emotional level?
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• I agree that appealing to emotion is correct. I don't think that means abandoning sound policy or bipartisanship. It just means that a policy dissertation and the old way of bipartisanship (that trusts the other side to follow norms) doesn't work. But you can use emotion to elicit/coerce cooperation from the other side of the aisle. The Democrats have done it on occasion.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

. He should just change his first name to Obama and run as "Obama Biden 2020".
                                ..LOL..

a
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X