No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Almost our entire lives, progressives have been on the fringe of the Denocratic party and the Democratic discussion. Tonight, they were literally center stage, because they're polling the best of anybody on the stage, they're in the top 3. But also because their ideas are center stage. Now, you have the moderate Democrats playing the role of the fringe candidates, which we've never before seen in our lifetimes."

Cenk Uygur made a good point, noting how far the progressive movement has come.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I thought the healthcare debate was good and worth having. Thank god they stopped making people raise their hands to indicate positions on things.

Bernie was much better in this debate and Warren had some high moments and faded away at times, but still good. Interesting that CNN set up the debate to be Warren and Sanders against the field, what I mean is they would ask a question about a policy from one of them to a moderate and then there would be a debate. The only downside to this for me is Warren and Sanders didn't debate each other at all. They fended off the same attacks.

So nothing for me changed in the big picture from this group. Sanders and Warren remain the only two with shots at the nomination. Pete is a guy I like a lot but I don't think he is going to get a big bounce to be a candidate that can win. I think he had to be Delaney like if he wanted to take that shot. Meaning he needed to be a moderate willing to attack Warren and Sanders. That just might not be who he is, but playing the status quo won't get him a big enough bounce I don't think. That said by not attacking them hard on anything he does leave himself more available as a VP option.

Klobuchar did the same thing as Pete she didn't attack the candidates left of her and while she hammered away at the electability argument it just isn't going to pop as long as Biden is in the field. She needed a standout moment and she didn't have any. She does remain in the VP conversation because she will play well in the midwest.

Beto at least had a few good moments but also had long periods of doing nothing. I know there were polls yesterday that made TX look almost purple, but it is one of those things I need to see in an election before I believe it and by seeing it I mean someone has to win something statewide before his electability argument will get him traction anywhere including as a VP candidate. He probably only can be the VP nominee to Harris.

Bullock did well with the hand he had to play. I don't think he can win, but he was much better than Hickenlooper and Ryan who had similar hands.

Delaney is DOA as a candidate, but I want to give him credit for getting so much air time. He didn't back down from the questions and for a guy polling under 1% he was on TV as much as anyone. That said his policies aren't going to win a Democratic primary.

Williamson was less crazy-sounding and talked about a few issues that matter to her but again DOA as a candidate so it doesn't matter.

Comment

• I was a little surprised Warren and Sanders didn't spar a bit more too separate themselves from each other, but for now, I think it was a good strategy, as they both had to defend themselves from the rest of the stage, and they agree on almost everything, so making it them against the centrist field was well planned.

At this point, I don't think Mayer Pete can overcome his negatives, but I continue to think he is good at debating and he navigated the waters between left and center pretty well.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-31-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Fascinating interview with Marianne Williamson where she claims to have been partially swayed towards Med4All by Sanders and Warren in the debate.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• It’s happening again — GOP congressmen/women are retiring rather than face an uphill battle to win back their seat with Dopey Don embarrassing them on a near daily basis.

So far five GOPers have announced they’re done, the latest being Rep. Mike Conaway of Texas.

“Serving in the era of Trump has few rewards,” Tom Davis, a former senior Republican congressman, told The Hill. “He has made an already hostile political environment worse. Every day there is some indefensible tweet or comment to defend or explain. It is exhausting and often embarrassing.”

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              It’s happening again — GOP congressmen/women are retiring rather than face an uphill battle to win back their seat with Dopey Don embarrassing them on a near daily basis.

So far five GOPers have announced they’re done, the latest being Rep. Mike Conaway of Texas.

“Serving in the era of Trump has few rewards,” Tom Davis, a former senior Republican congressman, told The Hill. “He has made an already hostile political environment worse. Every day there is some indefensible tweet or comment to defend or explain. It is exhausting and often embarrassing.”
              I'm sure he would say he is just culling the losers and wimps out of the party. Only he wouldn't say culling, cuz it isn't one of his "best words."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I'm sure he would say he is just culling the losers and wimps out of the party. Only he wouldn't say culling, cuz it isn't one of his "best words."
                I find the most accurate way to view any Trump quote or tweet is thru the most narcissistic, self involved lens possible. He is the most me centric person I have ever seen so I chose to view his tweets that way.

Comment

It’s happening again — GOP congressmen/women are retiring rather than face an uphill battle to win back their seat with Dopey Don embarrassing them on a near daily basis.

These are never-Trump types. The uphill battle is a primary challenge, in addition to November.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  That isn't a bad way to put it.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    These are never-Trump types. The uphill battle is a primary challenge, in addition to November.
                    Except they're not Never Trumpers. Some did publicly question his racist tweets, but that's called being a good human being, J.

Comment

Except they're not Never Trumpers. Some did publicly question his racist tweets, but that's called being a good human being, J.
                      Yes they were. They did not openly oppose him public but they cannot separate the policy from the mannerisms, ie the substance from the superficial. George Will and Bill Krystol can't either. Calling Trump racist is just a way of being superficial and avoiding his real message, which is solidarity. Trump does not govern as a racist, which what good humans care about.

In the end it won't matter. 2020 is going to be a bad year for the Democrats and Trump's reelection is only part of it.
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

In the end it won't matter. 2020 is going to be a bad year for the Democrats and Trump's reelection is only part of it.
                        is that when you think the death camps will become operational?
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          is that when you think the death camps will become operational?
                          In the year 2525.................
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yes they were. They did not openly oppose him public but they cannot separate the policy from the mannerisms, ie the substance from the superficial. George Will and Bill Krystol can't either. Calling Trump racist is just a way of being superficial and avoiding his real message, which is solidarity. Trump does not govern as a racist, which what good humans care about.

Whaat? He couldn't give two shits about cities/states/people that didn't vote for him. He's the most divisive president in American history. Solidarity? Maybe on Bizarro J World.

Comment

• Cory Booker had a great prepared line for Joe Biden on criminal justice issues. His counter punch had my wife and I absolutely howling:

"You're dipping in the Kool-Aid and you don't know the flavour!"

The knives are out, making for some fun soundbites.

Hey, my prediction that Tulsi would expose Kamala Harris is coming true right now! Loving it!

Comment

• I know this is shallow and not relevant, but Tulsi is looking real purty tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X