Page 404 of 436 FirstFirst ... 304354394402403404405406414 ... LastLast
Results 4,031 to 4,040 of 4351

Thread: Election 2020

OK, I've held off asking this because I sincerely doubt I'll get any answers only None of your business type Reponses.

All of you guys opposing Sanders.

What is your combined household annual income?

Do you have healthcare and if so, how good is it and how much does it cost you a month?

Do you have savings/401K with enough to cover say an emergency expense of $1000?

Did you attend/graduate college and if so, how did you pay for it--are you still paying for it?

Do you own your home? More than 1 property?

I only ask this because I have to believe those opposing Sanders and those in his camp come from different fiscal realities--Now I may be wrong, but I can't imagine anyone living in my wheelhouse ever opposing someone like Sanders.

I'll go first (but I'm not opposed to Sanders) in the interest of fair play and full disclosure.

I work full time, my wife attends school full time (it will be this way for another 7ish years as she's going for her PHD.)

I made 30K last year before taxes. My wife will be bringing in another 3-5K once she starts tutoring in the Fall. If we're lucky our annual income is 35K.

I have insurance, it costs me $350 a month or 1/10th of my annual salary. My wife does not, she gets what she needs through school and sliding scale/free clinics. To cover her on my work plan would raise out total healthcare cost to $700+ a month.

No saving, though we are trying to change that by working really hard on a budget that will allow us to save about 4-5K a year if we have no unforeseen expenses. less than 1K in my 401K (wife has none)

I did, uses grants scholarships and loans, I still owe 50K in loans (100K with interest) Wife is attending using Grants and Scholarships (4.0 top of her class) but has still accrued 20K in loans--hoping the annual dependency on those is reduced as her scholarship amounts increase.

We can fade an expense but it is really hard, 1K would be a killer--$500 is workable but makes it tight for a few months after.

Not a home owner, nor any other fiscal assets. before I'm asked, our entire monthly bill amount (utilities, car, insurance, rent etc.) is $2K and that's with Rent being $1500

We live a happy healthy lifestyle and are really lucky in our minds.

I can't imagine anyone living a similar life being against Sanders and his policies.

Again, I doubt I'll get many answers, but I have to imagine those opposing Sanders are doing much better financially and understandably don't want to risk what they have or the chance the economy might take a hit because his policies alienate the corporate barons and wealthy.

Caveat--I am NOT doing this to illicit sympathy for my lot in life--I have an AMAZING life, very fortunate on many counts and have learned to live on a tight budget--Sanders or no sanders my life won't change much.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Edit. BTW, If Sanders is elected and IF every policy he's touting is implemented day one it won't really affect my life in any significant manner outside of my Wife having healthcare and not incurring any more debt while getting her bachelors degree.
    Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 02-10-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Is there any remaining doubt that it's Trump's election to lose?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
    If every Racist, Homophobe, Misogynist, Bigot, Xenophobe, Nationalist, Science Denying, Fact Ignoring, Lie Accepting, Hypocritical, and/or Fake Christian who is absolutely going to vote only for Trump is joined by the Selfish, Greedy and Callous who are more interested in their own welfare than others or the Nation in general.

Then sure--he has a chance to win another 4 years.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hall of Famer
    "We live a happy healthy lifestyle and are really lucky in our minds.

I can't imagine anyone living a similar life being against Sanders and his policies.

Again, I doubt I'll get many answers, but I have to imagine those opposing Sanders are doing much better financially and understandably don't want to risk what they have or the chance the economy might take a hit because his policies alienate the corporate barons and wealthy."

First let me say I am truly glad you are happy with your lives.

Why did you make the comment that those who are doing much better financially would not want to risk it voting for Sanders? Why specifically would that be a risk to them? At what income level would it be at risk?

I have worked hard in my career (I have also delivered pizza to keep my house) to earn my income. I like my job. It provides me and mine with a nice life. We still have to watch it, but our needs are met. Why would I want to risk it

Fears of moderates voting Trump over Sanders are overblown. Look at these hardcore centrists in this article all saying they will absolutely vote for Sanders. Who is this mythical centrist so turned off by Sanders as to vote Trump? I'm skeptical.

I find it hilarious that centrists spent years saying "whoever the nominee is, Sanders supporters need to get behind them"... now that the shoe is on the other foot, they wont make the same commitment.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-trump-nominee

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    "We live a happy healthy lifestyle and are really lucky in our minds.

Again, I doubt I'll get many answers, but I have to imagine those opposing Sanders are doing much better financially and understandably don't want to risk what they have or the chance the economy might take a hit because his policies alienate the corporate barons and wealthy."

First let me say I am truly glad you are happy with your lives.

Why did you make the comment that those who are doing much better financially would not want to risk it voting for Sanders? Why specifically would that be a risk to them? At what income level would it be at risk?

I have worked hard in my career (I have also delivered pizza to keep my house) to earn my income. I like my job. It provides me and mine with a nice life. We still have to watch it, but our needs are met. Why would I want to risk it
    We've all had menial jobs, we've all worked hard (or at least I'll give everyone else the benefit of the doubt because I know I have) Society rewards certain jobs fiscally over others and not in the importance they serve to society or the general welfare of others.

I guess what I should have said is--If I can get by on 35K a year, so can everybody. Or at least they should be able to. To have more, nicer car, nicer home, clothes, stuff--is nice and I'm sure you feel you've earned every bit of it--but you haven't worked that much harder in your lifetime than I (if harder at all) and yet you have more. Even still--THAT'S OK even to Sanders--He's not targeting you unless Pizza delivery have allowed you to amass 3.5 million in net worth.

As to those not wanting to risk it--I UNDERSTAND--I just wouldn't make the same choice, maybe because I know how to get by on less I'd gladly live on what I have forgoing 'more' to allow others to have at least what I have. BUT it'll never even come to that--Sanders is NOT targeting people like you Or Brian Or anyone here in the forum, he's targeting the machine and even if you lost ALL value in your 401K, you'd still have enough to keep your lifestyle to a point. I guess I see luxury as something people should gladly forgo to contribute to the greater good. Most people who are for Sanders share similar ideology.

I understand it, I just disagree with the reasoning--and not trying to make things similar, I UNDERSTAND the reasoning behind those who support Trump, I just disagree with that reasoning as well--though that's apples and oranges.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
    Gee, J, way to pop back into the discussion when Trump hits his highest approval rating of his presidency. You sure got us this time!
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    Gee, J, way to pop back into the discussion when Trump hits his highest approval rating of his presidency. You sure got us this time!
    I guess jerking off to Fox News CAN get old...…….

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm part of the 9.9% but I supported Sanders in 2016 and will enthusiastically do so again if he's the nominee.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rticle/559130/

Most of my closer friends are as well, and they are all all-in no matter who the nominee is as well. Except one guy who wants Bloomberg but probably won't vote for any of the others. He despises Trump though so he wouldn't vote for him.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

wow, just saw this regarding Bloomberg. I have to imagine it will be problematic

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/s...73723720396808