Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nots View Post
    I know this will piss off Sanders' supporters, but the bottom line remains, if he gets the votes, he will be the man. If he doesn't, he won't. It looks shady, but Sanders' fate is in his own hands.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-29-2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• I would very much like to see the Democratic primary voters and caucus goers deliver the delegates required for the nomination to a candidate before the convention begins, to avoid the infighting, cross-accusations and hurt feelings that a brokered convention would undoubtedly bring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I know this will piss off Sanders' supporters, but the bottom line remains, if he gets the votes, he will be the man. If he doesn't, he won't. It looks shady, but Sanders' fate is in his own hands and the hands.
        The whining from Sanders supporters is so tiresome. Politics is a nasty business, get over it or find another hobby.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• This is where I'd encourage every Democrat to get off their ass and tell the DNC to stay the fuck out of it.

Should there even be a perception of a brokered nominee, Sanders supporters will burn it to the ground Trump or no Trump.

If this happens, kiss the Democratic party goodbye as you've known it. Progressives will form their own party and GOP will benefit from the split.

I know these people because I am these people.

Incremental change is no change at all in todays political environment. If it can be undone with a flurry of a pen on an executive order it doesn't matter.

The ACA pandered to the insurance companies, half assed it Incrementally so it could be passed and for a couple of years people had some coverage, it's pretty much back to the state it was before. Had they gone with Single payer or a universal healthcare platform, it have been tougher to dismantle as private insurance would have been background noise to the availability of free/low cost healthcare.

The days of bipartisan cooperation are over. Get your people into power and Jam through as much legislature from your platform if you can even if you scorch the earth to do so (not actually scorch the earth, but you get it)

You can disagree all you want but you're wrong. You're ignoring that 1/3 of the people in this country actually Believe Trump-Like Trump--Support Trump regardless of anything he might say or do. They're not going to work with ASNYONE who's not in their genere, Moderate/Incremental changes will never be effective until they go away--and I don't see a 1/3 of the National population suddenly dying off anytime soon (Unless we could engineer the coronavirus to attack only Proud Boy Meetings and Monster Truck Rallies)

Now I understand your reasonable approach to moderate change--Intellectually is makes the most sense, but practically?

We live in a world where Professional Sports teams cheat to win, corporations measure everything in dollars including the value of a human life, people walk by the less fortunate on the street as if they don't exist, they're killing the planet because it's easier than losing money in the market or paying more at the store or making substantial changes to their lives/lifestyles. They hate people because of the color of their skin/gender/sexuality/nationality/religion/political affiliation. TOO MANY PEOPLE DON"T GIVE A SHIT.

What are we left with then?

For me--It's choose something to stand for--Except nothing less, demand it, never stop demanding it. If you find someone who represents those ideals--Advocate for them, vote for them and if someone beats them fair and square--OK, you tried--But if they're cheated or robbed (Even if THAT'S THE WAY THE SYSTEM WORKS) you FIGHT.

If someone other than Sanders wins the nomination in a fair primary, I'm fine with it--But If the DNC pulls it's bullshit again this time around. I'm done with the Democratic Party. Because what they are saying to me (and other progressives) is that 4 more years of Trump are preferable to Sanders.

*climbs off soapbox.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            The whining from Sanders supporters is so tiresome. Politics is a nasty business, get over it or find another hobby.
            You might want to skip the next post then.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

If someone other than Sanders wins the nomination in a fair primary, I'm fine with it--But If the DNC pulls it's bullshit again this time around. I'm done with the Democratic Party. Because what they are saying to me (and other progressives) is that 4 more years of Trump are preferable to Sanders.

*climbs off soapbox.
              I'm sure you have answered this before, and I probably should not open this can of worms, but is it your belief that the DNC's playing favorites is why HRC beat Bernie in the primary, or is your point that even though HRC would have beated Sanders in a fair, clean fight, the fact that they showed a clear preference and tried to put their thumb on the scale is what matters here. I am just wondering if you are especially pissed because you think they actually influenced the results, or you are pissed they they tried to, even if it didn't actually affect things.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-29-2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I'm sure you have answered this before, and I probably should not open this can of worms, but is it your beliefe that the DNC's playing favorites is why HRC beat Bernie in the primary, or is your point that even though HRC would have beated Sanders in a fair, clean fight, the fact that they showed a clear preference and tried to put their thumb on the scale is what matters here. I am just wondering if you are especially pissed because you think they actually influenced the results, or you are pissed they they tried to, even if it didn't actually affect things.
                I believed they did. From declaring Superdelegates early, to feeding HRC debate questions and from my own personal experience with HRCs campaign at the NV caucuses where I witnessed first hand the shit the Clinton campaign did to the Sanders contingent. It was underhanded and unethical and because most of the Democratic Party leadership was from the Clinton camp--they got away with it. I know for a fact Sanders won Nevada--yet who ended up getting the delegates after the State Caucus? HRC.

I'm sure there were other incidents in other states that we'll never know because cheaters tend to try and get away with as much as they can to advance their goal and get away with most of it.

I can give you a blow by blow account of how they screwed Bernie in NV--some might say That's Politics, but I expect more. And as I've mentioned many times--I'm often disappointed.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If someone other than Sanders wins the nomination in a fair primary, I'm fine with it.
                  I'm going to hold you to this, Brian.

I really, really hope that the primaries deliver a clear nominee in advance of the convention, and if it does have to go to a brokered convention, I would prefer that the nomination go to whomever enters the convention with the most earned delegates, whether it's Sanders or Biden or someone else. Because it's tough to argue against the fairness of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    I'm going to hold you to this, Brian.

I really, really hope that the primaries deliver a clear nominee in advance of the convention, and if it does have to go to a brokered convention, I would prefer that the nomination go to whomever enters the convention with the most earned delegates, whether it's Sanders or Biden or someone else. Because it's tough to argue against the fairness of that.
                    You know well Brian, I'm a man of my word.

I don't have anything against Biden, I just don't think he's the best for the gig.

However, as I mentioned before--I can vote for anyone here in California and it won't make a difference--The states going with whomever is the Democratic Nominee, still I shall let you know how I vote come November.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• i think the fact Obama and HRC support Warren says a lot. i liked Obama but he completely ignored the kids when they were protesting wall street. i don't even think he threw them a bone. i can understand bailing banks out and i know he wrestled with it and it was the only thing to do. i know HRC is wall street, Obama by default is, so it makes Warren too. the fact they are so scared of Sanders getting the nomination. i don't think it's because they think he will lose and Warren has a better chance. she has a much more liberal voting record.

when was the last time the democratic party really stood up for unions? they do advocate minimum wage increases but mostly leave it to the states to decide. look at california, they probably have more homelessness per capita than west virgina. you can do things like a vacancy tax. but hot shot silicon valley moves in and can pay triple the rent and every other scrub gets evicted. i think Obama's and HRC's support for Warren is alarming.

i will give props for wanting to remove Trump from office, if that is really their strategy. because i think any other republican would have a better shot at getting elected. so you could say it's the right thing to do, but the incorrect one. unless that isn't their strategy and they just want to keep him in office but hurt his chances of winning.

Comment

The days of bipartisan cooperation are over. Get your people into power and Jam through as much legislature from your platform if you can even if you scorch the earth to do so (not actually scorch the earth, but you get it)
                        no you're right. don't be shy. it literally does scorch the earth sometimes.

Comment

• I understand jamming through as much legislation as you can from your platform, because you think it helps the country. I can understand pushing through as many judicial confirmations as you can, because you want to restore balance and justice in the courts. But I can't support things like gerrymandering and trying to disenfranchise the Republican Party's voters. I think that would be both wrong and counterproductive in the long run.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            I understand jamming through as much legislation as you can from your platform, because you think it helps the country. I can understand pushing through as many judicial confirmations as you can, because you want to restore balance and justice in the courts. But I can't support things like gerrymandering and trying to disenfranchise the Republican Party's voters. I think that would be both wrong and counterproductive in the long run.
                            On all of this-we agree.

I'm not here to advocate disenfranchising voters regardless of affiliation, nor do I want to win at any cost.

In fact I believe I have more against the system in general than the GOP (non Trump) platform.

Hopefully Sanders won't have to face this bullshit again and whomever wins the nod, does so in a fair fight.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I liked David Frums point this morning, that using Dershowitz's definition, the more of a deranged egomaniac the president is, the more rights he would have.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Amy Klobuchar put away a black 16 year old for life in prison for a drive-by shooting that killed a young girl. Now that it appears Klobuchar locked up this 16 year old until the age of 33 without serious material evidence, and he's been found to be likely innocent, multiple groups are calling for Klobuchar to suspend her campaign. Being the vindictive asshole that she is, of course she disallowed him from attending his mother's funeral while stealing the prime of his life. I have no clue what anybody here likes about her. Not a fun way for her to go into the weekend before Iowa, but I guess at least with impeachment holding her in the Senate she can't be asked about it.

minneapolis-naacp-black-lives-matter-call-on-klobuchar-to-suspend-campaign
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X