No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope that if there's a Sanders regime that it's not all conspiracy theories. One Conspiracy Theorist regime was enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      I hope that if there's a Sanders regime that it's not all conspiracy theories. One Conspiracy Theorist regime was enough.
      I would hope that the Sanders haters would develop the ability to confront reality, but apparently not.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        I would hope that the Sanders haters would develop the ability to confront reality, but apparently not.
        I'm not sure that statement helps your case. The "everyone but me is blind to the obvious problem" mentality is typical of the conspiracy theorist mindset, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          I'm not sure that statement helps your case. The "everyone but me is blind to the obvious problem" mentality is typical of the conspiracy theorist mindset, right?
          Let me re-phrase for clarity.

I would hope that if people are trying to debate my arguments that they would actually quote what I'm saying and the articles I'm linking to instead of, you know, making bullshit blanket statements with zero links or proof of anything, directed at discrediting me instead of focusing on what I've posted.

You guys seem to think I post link and quotes for fun.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I've heard separately from family members (parents, brother) and all are anti-sanders at this point. My brother argues that this election should be a slam-dunk to oust Trump and is fearful that the democrats are alienating the middle. He believes the economy will look pretty good come election time and the left will put up someone who promises to blow it up leading a lot of the middle who should be easy pickings to hold their noses and vote trump. None of them have any faith in the youth vote actually materializing.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              I've heard separately from family members (parents, brother) and all are anti-sanders at this point. My brother argues that this election should be a slam-dunk to oust Trump and is fearful that the democrats are alienating the middle. He believes the economy will look pretty good come election time and the left will put up someone who promises to blow it up leading a lot of the middle who should be easy pickings to hold their noses and vote trump. None of them have any faith in the youth vote actually materializing.
              Yeah, that's pretty much my family and my wife's family as well, but I'm not sure they have any real sense of what will move voters in swing states to come out and vote out Trump. I'm not entirely sure any of us do.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                I hope that if there's a Sanders regime that it's not all conspiracy theories. One Conspiracy Theorist regime was enough.
                I'm going to assume that the conspiracy regime you speak of is the one currently in office.

As to all Sanders supporters being alike, not so. Though I expect Sanders to ask for a recanvas as .1% shouldn't net 2 delegates. I also would Think that NV is going to be closely monitored this time around and that whomever is in charge of monitoring the count is going to be from someone's campaign so until I see bias, I'm not going to accuse someone of it.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I've heard separately from family members (parents, brother) and all are anti-sanders at this point. My brother argues that this election should be a slam-dunk to oust Trump and is fearful that the democrats are alienating the middle. He believes the economy will look pretty good come election time and the left will put up someone who promises to blow it up leading a lot of the middle who should be easy pickings to hold their noses and vote trump. None of them have any faith in the youth vote actually materializing.
                  So would they actually vote Trump if Sanders is the nominee?
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I struggle with seeing a strong economy co-existing with a slam dunk win over Trump.
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      Yeah, that's pretty much my family and my wife's family as well, but I'm not sure they have any real sense of what will move voters in swing states to come out and vote out Trump. I'm not entirely sure any of us do.
                      I am in the same boat as you and heyelander. One difference is I'm on a college campus, so I have a front row view of the population that could make or break Sanders. I do think Sanders will push those in the middle away. In the Corn, folks in Hey's, your's, and my family and circles of adult friends. But the question I agree we don't have the answer to is this--will there be more millennial voters coming out in the key states to vote for Sanders than the gen xers and boomers that would stay home if Sanders is the nominee? I really wish I knew the answer to that one.

Comment

• OK, I've held off asking this because I sincerely doubt I'll get any answers only None of your business type Reponses.

All of you guys opposing Sanders.

What is your combined household annual income?

Do you have healthcare and if so, how good is it and how much does it cost you a month?

Do you have savings/401K with enough to cover say an emergency expense of $1000?

Did you attend/graduate college and if so, how did you pay for it--are you still paying for it?

Do you own your home? More than 1 property?

I only ask this because I have to believe those opposing Sanders and those in his camp come from different fiscal realities--Now I may be wrong, but I can't imagine anyone living in my wheelhouse ever opposing someone like Sanders.

I'll go first (but I'm not opposed to Sanders) in the interest of fair play and full disclosure.

I work full time, my wife attends school full time (it will be this way for another 7ish years as she's going for her PHD.)

I made 30K last year before taxes. My wife will be bringing in another 3-5K once she starts tutoring in the Fall. If we're lucky our annual income is 35K.

I have insurance, it costs me $350 a month or 1/10th of my annual salary. My wife does not, she gets what she needs through school and sliding scale/free clinics. To cover her on my work plan would raise out total healthcare cost to $700+ a month.

No saving, though we are trying to change that by working really hard on a budget that will allow us to save about 4-5K a year if we have no unforeseen expenses. less than 1K in my 401K (wife has none)

I did, uses grants scholarships and loans, I still owe 50K in loans (100K with interest) Wife is attending using Grants and Scholarships (4.0 top of her class) but has still accrued 20K in loans--hoping the annual dependency on those is reduced as her scholarship amounts increase.

We can fade an expense but it is really hard, 1K would be a killer--$500 is workable but makes it tight for a few months after.

Not a home owner, nor any other fiscal assets. before I'm asked, our entire monthly bill amount (utilities, car, insurance, rent etc.) is $2K and that's with Rent being $1500

We live a happy healthy lifestyle and are really lucky in our minds.

I can't imagine anyone living a similar life being against Sanders and his policies.

Again, I doubt I'll get many answers, but I have to imagine those opposing Sanders are doing much better financially and understandably don't want to risk what they have or the chance the economy might take a hit because his policies alienate the corporate barons and wealthy.

Caveat--I am NOT doing this to illicit sympathy for my lot in life--I have an AMAZING life, very fortunate on many counts and have learned to live on a tight budget--Sanders or no sanders my life won't change much.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Edit. BTW, If Sanders is elected and IF every policy he's touting is implemented day one it won't really affect my life in any significant manner outside of my Wife having healthcare and not incurring any more debt while getting her bachelors degree.
                        Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 02-10-2020, 06:37 PM.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Is there any remaining doubt that it's Trump's election to lose?

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            Is there any remaining doubt that it's Trump's election to lose?

J
                            If every Racist, Homophobe, Misogynist, Bigot, Xenophobe, Nationalist, Science Denying, Fact Ignoring, Lie Accepting, Hypocritical, and/or Fake Christian who is absolutely going to vote only for Trump is joined by the Selfish, Greedy and Callous who are more interested in their own welfare than others or the Nation in general.

Then sure--he has a chance to win another 4 years.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• "We live a happy healthy lifestyle and are really lucky in our minds.

I can't imagine anyone living a similar life being against Sanders and his policies.

Again, I doubt I'll get many answers, but I have to imagine those opposing Sanders are doing much better financially and understandably don't want to risk what they have or the chance the economy might take a hit because his policies alienate the corporate barons and wealthy."

First let me say I am truly glad you are happy with your lives.

Why did you make the comment that those who are doing much better financially would not want to risk it voting for Sanders? Why specifically would that be a risk to them? At what income level would it be at risk?

I have worked hard in my career (I have also delivered pizza to keep my house) to earn my income. I like my job. It provides me and mine with a nice life. We still have to watch it, but our needs are met. Why would I want to risk it

Comment

• Fears of moderates voting Trump over Sanders are overblown. Look at these hardcore centrists in this article all saying they will absolutely vote for Sanders. Who is this mythical centrist so turned off by Sanders as to vote Trump? I'm skeptical.

I find it hilarious that centrists spent years saying "whoever the nominee is, Sanders supporters need to get behind them"... now that the shoe is on the other foot, they wont make the same commitment.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-trump-nominee

Comment

Working...
                                X