No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like Harris, much as I like almost all of the Democrats who have made the effort to pursue the nomination. She had many more strengths than weaknesses, in my opinion, and could also be a strong VP or Attorney General should the opportunity arise. I also think she'll continue to be a key leader in the Senate, particularly should the House pass Articles of Impeachment and send them to the Senate for trial. I also still have some reservations about all of the septuagenarians, but any of them would be worlds better than the septuagenarian we currently have in the White House.

Comment

• Well, credit to DMT. He predicted Kamala Harris wouldn't go far based on her prosecutorial record. nots and Judge Jude thought Harris was a strong bet.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• "Manufacturing consent in action". This is ridiculous.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          "Manufacturing consent in action". This is ridiculous.

https://www.alternet.org/2019/12/pbs...ernie-sanders/
          What's ridiculous?

I thought the article was pretty accurate.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            What's ridiculous?

The segment ignoring Sanders.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              What's ridiculous?

Given DMT's use of Chomsky's concept of manufactured consent, I assume he means how this is an example of the media carrying out "system-supportive" propaganda that is not overtly coercive, but effective, non-the-less, in shaping opinions through assumptions and self-censorship. He is agreeing with you that the lack of coverage on Bernie in this case is BS.

ETA: And I agree. I think the media's coverage of many of the candidates is problematic. I think the reference to Chomsky is spot on. It isn't a well-organized cabal against or for specific candidates, but the effect is much the same. Bernie certainly deserves more coverage than he gets, especially now that Warren is fading, and he represents an important faction of voters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Given DMT's use of Chomsky's concept of manufactured consent, I assume he means how this is an example of the media carrying out "system-supportive" propaganda that is not overtly coercive, but effective, non-the-less, in shaping opinions through assumptions and self-censorship. He is agreeing with you that the lack of coverage on Bernie in this case is BS.

ETA: And I agree. I think the media's coverage of many of the candidates is problematic. I think the reference to Chomsky is spot on. It isn't a well-organized cabal against or for specific candidates, but the effect is much the same. Bernie certainly deserves more coverage than he gets, especially now that Warren is fading, and he represents an important faction of voters.
                I figured this would be obvious but apparently not.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Here is a positive spin theory, though. While it may be unfair, and Trump proved that even negative coverage is good coverage with all the free press, much of it bad, he got in 2016, perhaps the lack of coverage for Bernie is better than over-coverage/critical coverage. It seems as though the bright lights of scrutiny from the msm has burnt out other candidates while Bernie keeps chugging along. At some point, the msm will have to pay more attention. Meanwhile, sources on the far left and the right are getting lots of play out of how he is getting shafted on MSNBC and other places. Also, a NYT's writer just endorsed him, so there's that.

Comment

Here is a positive spin theory, though. While it may be unfair, and Trump proved that even negative coverage is good coverage with all the free press, much of it bad, he got in 2016, perhaps the lack of coverage for Bernie is better than over-coverage/critical coverage. It seems as though the bright lights of scrutiny from the msm has burnt out other candidates while Bernie keeps chugging along. At some point, the msm will have to pay more attention. Meanwhile, sources on the far left and the right are getting lots of play out of how he is getting shafted on MSNBC and other places. Also, a NYT's writer just endorsed him, so there's that.
                    That's a great point, look at what they did to Warren, and she's not even a real progressive!
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Interesting take on Harris.

The Democrats’ leftward lurch doomed Kamala Harris, an ex-prosecutor—and ignores the political pressures that black and female candidates faced not long ago.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        I figured this would be obvious but apparently not.
                        I was just asking for a little clarification. I couldn't tell if you thought the article itself was ridiculous, or the media coverage.

Thanks to Sour Masher for clarifying.

Comment

Here is a positive spin theory, though. While it may be unfair, and Trump proved that even negative coverage is good coverage with all the free press, much of it bad, he got in 2016, perhaps the lack of coverage for Bernie is better than over-coverage/critical coverage. It seems as though the bright lights of scrutiny from the msm has burnt out other candidates while Bernie keeps chugging along. At some point, the msm will have to pay more attention. Meanwhile, sources on the far left and the right are getting lots of play out of how he is getting shafted on MSNBC and other places. Also, a NYT's writer just endorsed him, so there's that.
                          I disagree that the Bernie Blackout helps him overall. But the one thing you're right that works in his favor is the element of surprise, at least for the results in Iowa and New Hampshire. He doesn't need to outperform polling by much to win both. If he's able to outperform polling and win some early states, it will inevitably create a shock and awe effect among mainstream media that have treated him like an afterthought. So it could eventually help him, but is still suppressing his numbers with non-ideological voters to this point. They need to see him win first to believe.

Comment

• As someone who seems to worry more about the age of the top candidates more than most around here, I felt compelled to share this to assuage my own anxieties that Bernie and Biden are living on borrowed time as men who already exceed the average life expectancy of males in this country. The article isn't about Bernie or Biden (or Bloomberg), but helpfully gives as an example a male born in 1942, right when Biden and close to when Bernie was born:

For instance, in 2006 the life expectancy at birth of someone born in 1942 was about 68 years. If that person survived to 65, they could expect to live another 18.4 years, meaning their life expectancy was no longer the same as it was at birth—it was 5.9 years longer than the life expectancy of people born in 2006—83.4 years. If that person lived to 75, their life expectancy increased to 86.8—9.3 years longer than the average child born in 2006.

So, yeah, of course averages tell us little about individuals, but it does make me feel slightly better to know that the average 75 year old male who managed to make it to 75, like Bernie and Biden have, lives to be nearly 87. Not that folks tend to be tip-top mentally and physically right at the end, but at least this helps me have less nightmares of the front-runner croaking on election night.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/under...ctancy-2223950

Comment

• Details about Mayor Pete's time in Iraq.

- Terence McKenna

Comment

• Bernie Sanders places first in a new California poll, and the Bernie blackout continues. Original headline reads "Warren and Biden lose ground in California's shifting California Democratic primary race". Two big pictures, Biden and Warren. Sanders isn't mentioned until the 3rd paragraph.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...ading-la-times

Sanders has 5 field offices and 100 paid staff in California, 5x the next biggest staff of Warren. He's been investing in California as the bigger prize, knowing he should at least break 15% in the early states to earn delegates throughout, but he's aiming for a big super Tuesday. I like it.

Sanders 24% (+5 since Sept.)
                                Warren 22% (-7)
                                Biden 14% (-6)
                                Buttigieg 12% (+6)
                                Harris 7% (-1)
                                Steyer 1% (+1)

Harris voters presumably go to Biden more so than Sanders or Warren, which is not insignificant. But that's showing some big Sanders momentum.

Comment

Working...
                                X