Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    The GOP has turned into the Party of Hatred seemingly overnight. While some undercurrents were always there, it’s like the death grip has taken over. I wish I was back in college taking PoliSci courses again....it would be a fascinating study.
    At the end of they day they're frightened. They see America changing all around them at a frenetic pace. TV frightens them as well...minorities are normalized. Black people have relationships with white people. Gays are shown to not only be normal, but capable of being loving parents. Minorities of all colors are soon to be the majority, if they're not already. This is not the America that they want, the America that they think that they grew up in, but it IS the America of the future. It's as inevitable as the tides rolling in, and cannot be stopped. They do not want the change, but all they can do is to prolong the inevitable...and they'll do everything in their power to do so.

But life is change, and change it will...some will be left by the wayside of history, but the majority will march into the future, as has always been the case.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      At the end of they day they're frightened. They see America changing all around them at a frenetic pace. TV frightens them as well...minorities are normalized. Black people have relationships with white people. Gays are shown to not only be normal, but capable of being loving parents. Minorities of all colors are soon to be the majority, if they're not already. This is not the America that they want, the America that they think that they grew up in, but it IS the America of the future. It's as inevitable as the tides rolling in, and cannot be stopped. They do not want the change, but all they can do is to prolong the inevitable...and they'll do everything in their power to do so.

But life is change, and change it will...some will be left by the wayside of history, but the majority will march into the future, as has always been the case.
      Nicely said, Hornsby.
      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

granting all of that, how can a rival political party lose?
        by having a prominent (deserved or not) member not only disgracefully describe migrant detention centers (built by Obama) as "concentration camps" - but double down on it when called out. and get a pass from much of the left, who understand the difference (and don't really sincerely rally 'round a couple of historians who parse language - we all know what 'concentration camps' connote).

I'd like to think that some Republicans are appalled by some of the hateful, vicious bile from "their guy." but if the media paints the other side as having their own morons, then it gives them an excuse to stick with him, alas.

give them a better, more productive alternative. that's what Pelosi is seeking. it's not good enough to correctly observe that Trump has countless more offensive comments or that he is President or that he is so much older. remember "when they go low, we go high?"

it was always a bit smug, but there's a kernel in there.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          yep

"America needs you to focus. Democrats’ first thought in the morning and their last thought when they fall asleep at night should be, “How will this play in Erie, Pennsylvania?”

There are four states that matter in 2020: Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida. Win three out of four of those states and Trump is a one-term president. No matter how popular something might be with activists in Los Angeles or donors in Manhattan, it’s dead weight or worse if it isn’t a winner with Rotary Club members in Kenosha, Wisconsin."

"Progressives keep trying to convince themselves that people are sick and tired of what’s going on in this country. They are half right. Americans are tired. They’re tired of the endless rancor, the name-calling and the lies. They’re tired of the frenetic insanity of the last few years and the unprecedented attacks on America’s institutions. Americans don’t want to burn down the system. They want to put the fire out. Progressive activists may be angry but most of us are just exhausted."
          I don't disagree with this and the goal should be to win, but doesn't this speak to the problem with the electoral college? Heck, I am in one of the states that matter and it seems silly to me. A party that got 3 million more votes nationally for its last Pres. candidate needs to move their agenda to the right to appeal to voters in 4 states? I know the EC isn't going anywhere, just an observation.

Comment

• I think it has something to do with those silly forefathers and trying making sure that one state cant rule all the states.... being a republic rather than a full blown democracy.

Silly silly guys.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• I love these articles where the author says, "I know my house has the walls broken down and open sewage running across the floors, but I think it's important to tell my neighboor that his porch light has burned out and he better replace the light bulb ASAP. We all share the neighborhood, you know."
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                I think it has something to do with those silly forefathers and trying making sure that one state cant rule all the states.... being a republic rather than a full blown democracy.

Silly silly guys.
                Ok but we are saying that these candidates can tailor their entire campaign to 4 states that will swing the election because the other states are locked into how they will vote. I don't think it is crazy to point out how 4/50 states deciding the next president is silly. I know we are not going to the popular vote, but knowing 4 states are going to decide an election over a year out makes the process silly in some ways.

Comment

• HRC essentially attempted to do that in her last campaign. She ignore a number of states - PA, WI, FL and OH (if I recall correctly). Yes she did win the popular vote, but the fact is this - While she won NY, CA, IL 3 of the biggest states. The folks in the states she ignored were the states that put Trump over the top. The EC worked, and the last election demonstrates it - and also why it works.

But thats just my opinion.
                  Last edited by baldgriff; 07-18-2019, 12:09 PM.
                  It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• I just don't love that Democrats can ignore the west coast and the northeast. Republicans can ignore the south and we are going to let a few states in the midwest (and FL) decide an election. I don't expect a change I just don't like how the process works in a Pres. election. The argument was small states will get ignored if we went to a popular vote, but those small states are already getting ignored. Outside of occasionally Iowa and NH we don't have swing states that are small. WI, MI, PA, and FL are bigger states.

Comment

• I find it terribly distressing that the vast majority of Americans already are locked into which party gets their vote in 2020, 2024, 2028 and beyond. that's the biggest problem.

and yes it is weird to have 4 states make the decision - but at least they are winnable states for both parties.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                        I just don't love that Democrats can ignore the west coast and the northeast. Republicans can ignore the south and we are going to let a few states in the midwest (and FL) decide an election. I don't expect a change I just don't like how the process works in a Pres. election. The argument was small states will get ignored if we went to a popular vote, but those small states are already getting ignored. Outside of occasionally Iowa and NH we don't have swing states that are small. WI, MI, PA, and FL are bigger states.
                        I like the idea of each state apportioning their electoral college votes. Then Dems wouldn't want to ignore R strongholds and vice versa.

Comment

• I believe that the states can define how their votes get apportioned. If they want to split up their votes across the parties, I dont have an issue with it. It could likely help get both parties more active in the process in that state as they are competing for even the scraps.

Comment

• Nebraska and Maine do something like this, in that the EVs go by district. I think both have had "split tickets" in recent Presidential elections.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                              I believe that the states can define how their votes get apportioned. If they want to split up their votes across the parties, I dont have an issue with it. It could likely help get both parties more active in the process in that state as they are competing for even the scraps.
                              I wonder how that tests out. Does it really make both parties more active? Because it lowers the stakes. Rather than winning a full complement of electoral college votes you are just getting the marginal votes. So does it help more to focus on those margins, or try to get 1-2% more in a state that may tip the scales and give you all the votes?

Comment

• Honestly - Im not sure. However, if I dont do the work in a state - why should I get any of the votes. If I put in some effort at least I have a chance at some of them. Though again, each state can do what they want.

Comment

Working...
                                X