Page 236 of 245 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 2449

Thread: Election 2020

  1. #2351
    Administrator revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fuggedabboutit
    Posts
    19,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Yesterday, Joe Biden referred to Angela Merkel as Margaret Thatcher, after twice before referring to Theresa May as Thatcher. 3 strikes. Oh, and he referred to Donald "Hump" on stage to laughs. Go home, Joe.

    Yeah, super thoughtful and endearing, and super normal, and not indicative of failing health. Riiiiiiight.
    He caught himself before he even got the full name out. I think we're going to have to add a new syndrome -- BDS. You're the inaugural member! LOL.

  2. #2352
    Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    He caught himself before he even got the full name out. I think we're going to have to add a new syndrome -- BDS. You're the inaugural member! LOL.
    The point is he's fumbling his words constantly.

    I asked my wife "Hey, guess who Joe Biden referred to Angela Merkel as today?" Her response "if you say Margaret Thatcher..." Endless laughter. Thanks Uncle Joe.

    Only 10 more debates to showcase his lack of ability to form coherent thoughts or remember anybody's name, and continue to lie about his own record. Should be a great primary. Go way back in this thread and I was cheering for Biden to enter the race because i thought he was super beatable on his record. But I didn't foresee his physical deterioration, so I'm now more confident than ever that he will spiral out of the top tier and hopefully be forced to withdraw due to failing health. He needs to drop into a clear 3rd place with rampant speculation about what a trainwreck he is to consider dropping out. I guess that happens around mid-Nov, but maybe they drag his ass all the way to the convention, but I don't see it.

    Did you see his campaign staff lowering expectations in the early voting states?

    Former Vice President Joe Biden's campaign is lowering expectations in some early voting states, veteran political reporter Paul Steinhauser told Hill.TV on Monday.

    "Just a few days ago, the Biden campaign in a conference with me and other national political reporters, they downplayed both what the vice president could do in Iowa and the expectations in New Hampshire as well," Steinhauser said during an interview on "Rising."

    "They were touting how their staff was beefing up in the Super Tuesday states and beyond, but they did lower expectations a little bit in the first four early voting states," he added.
    But I'm sure his campaign staff and the reporter, they all have BDS too, right?

    https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/46...s-says-veteran

  3. #2353
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    5,553
    You may want to rephrase that comment, TW. I know you really dislike Biden, but he isn't a bad guy. I assume you did not mean to say that you ar hoping for Biden's health to get worse.

  4. #2354
    Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    You may want to rephrase that comment, TW. I know you really dislike Biden, but he isn't a bad guy. I assume you did not mean to say that you ar hoping for Biden's health to get worse.
    I'm not hoping his health worsens. His health IS worsening. I hope the media stops brushing it aside and calling it "gaffes", and it becomes clear to all that he's not well enough to continue, and he throws in the towel, that's all. He needs to rest.

    That eyeball explosion is said to be caused by stress, and it happened right after getting hit with a tough question from a college student. What would Trump do? Literally make his heart explode?

  5. #2355
    Administrator revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fuggedabboutit
    Posts
    19,248
    Bernie has been strongest in Iowa, and Warren and Bernie are in bordering states to NH. It’s not reasonable to assume Biden may not do well in either of those two? (and he’s still leading in both states, mind you).

  6. #2356
    Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Bernie has been strongest in Iowa, and Warren and Bernie are in bordering states to NH. It’s not reasonable to assume Biden may not do well in either of those two? (and he’s still leading in both states, mind you).
    What did you think of the video of Biden rally attendees? There were a couple supporters who would say "he may be stumbling a bit, BUT TRUMP...", but the rest of the attendees were all highly skeptical of what Biden is offering, and of his ability to beat Trump. There's no enthusiasm for him. I don't see how that trend can be reversed. I think it only picks up speed as people tune in more.

  7. #2357
    Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    TW, what do you think of this article, which highlights Wall Street concerns about Warren? https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...zWQ?li=BBnbfcN

    It is interesting that she gets critiqued by centrists as too progressive, and by Sanders backers as too centrist. To me, Warren is definitely closer to the Sanders end of the spectrum than the Biden end, but I understand they have fundamentally different approaches than Sanders. I've seen several pieces outlining these differences. Would you say this Vox explainer is an accurate summary? It highlights and that they share a lot in terms of policies, but are very different politically. It echoes a lot of what I've seen about Sanders being a revolutionary, offering a totally new political system, and Warren be a reformist and regulator, working within current systems to achieve largely the same ends, but not turning those institutions on their heads like Sanders : https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...es-differences

    Here is an excerpt that may help us get clearer about why some of us prefer Warren or Sanders:

    "Warren is a social democrat. Sanders is a democratic socialist. The difference between the two is best explained by how Warren and Sanders convey their skepticism toward capitalism, said Sheri Berman, a political scientist with Barnard College, who has written extensively on the history of the left.

    Prominent writers on the left argue this ideological divide has played out in practice, too. In January, the Intercept’s Zaid Jilani wrote for Jacobin:

    When Warren says that the primary difference between Sanders and herself is that she’s a proponent of capitalism, it’s not just rhetoric. Her life’s work has been to make markets more competitive and equitable, not to redistribute money from the rich to the poor and remove big chunks of economic life from the private sector.

    ....

    To [Sanders], the problem is not so much that the rules are rigged so people can’t become entrepreneurs, or that regulators need to be empowered to act on behalf of the public. The problem is that the government is not doing enough to bypass the private sector to directly deliver funds and services to the poor and working class.

    “Both Sanders and Warren have put forth a slew of policies a couple of election cycles ago would have been seen just far ahead of where the Democratic Party was,” Berman said. “If you believe in capitalism and you believe it has gone a little off the rails in the last generation, but it remains the best system to maintain economic growth and democracy, then Warren is the better candidate for you.”

    “Or do you believe that capitalism is inherently unjust, inherently unstable?” Then Sanders is the right fit, Berman said."

    As for me, I find myself in the middle of those two simplified positions. I think capitalism is inherently amoral. Because of that, unfettered, it can become unjust and unstable, but it need not be, if reigned in. It has done more than just go a little off the rails recently. It has always been that way. Capitalism must be paired with proper regulation and be imbued with the spirit of compassion our social contract in the US aspires to. But I also see benefits to the system, imperfect as it is, as long as we regulate, control, and ensure we have socially conscious policies and restrictions in place along with capitalism. Clearly, Sanders and many supporters think it is all bad, but are there examples of the alternatives--state run everything that show themselves to be better? What are those examples? I cannot think of such a system that does not also come with the baggage of corruption and waste and disparity between rich and poor that we lament in capitalistic economies.
    First, I've been reading for years that Sanders more closely resembles a Social Democrat than a Democratic Socialist, so I'm not fully on board with their definitions.

    I think we've already seen how little progress can be achieved on a 'hope & change' Presidency that seeks to find compromises and not rock the boat. How can she get her policies passed if she's indebted to the DNC, the Clinton insiders, the dark money interests? Warren endorsed Clinton over Sanders in 2016 because she had signed a pledge to support her in 2013, now she's collecting on her cowardice with interest. How can she afford to enact any of her plans if she follows the DNC rule requiring new spending needs to be offset, and if she supports unnecessary bloated Pentagon funding? The elites are smart, and they hear her double-speak loud and clear.

    The fact is that her supporters to this point have the least racial diversity, highest education, most wealth. It's not magic and it's not a mystery. These folks want another impotent but inspiring Obama clone. Another health care bandaid to be ripped off by the next Trump.

  8. #2358
    Journeyman TranaGreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    downtown
    Posts
    4,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Yesterday, Joe Biden referred to Angela Merkel as Margaret Thatcher, after twice before referring to Theresa May as Thatcher. 3 strikes. Oh, and he referred to Donald "Hump" on stage to laughs. Go home, Joe.

    Yeah, super thoughtful and endearing, and super normal, and not indicative of failing health. Riiiiiiight.
    genuine question: so given that this has been going on for some time now, why do you think he's polling as well as he is? my thought is that the general populace doesn't care about these details. But you seem to think that they will wake up suddenly & gain perspective ... maybe I'm too cynical but I don't see that happening.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.
    Some people think he's playing chess when actually his aides are trying to stop him from eating the pieces.

  9. #2359
    Hall of Famer B-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montclair, NJ
    Posts
    47,578
    Warren pulled into a tie with Biden atop the latest Economist/YouGov Democratic Primary poll.

    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

  10. #2360
    All Star DMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    First, I've been reading for years that Sanders more closely resembles a Social Democrat than a Democratic Socialist, so I'm not fully on board with their definitions.

    I think we've already seen how little progress can be achieved on a 'hope & change' Presidency that seeks to find compromises and not rock the boat. How can she get her policies passed if she's indebted to the DNC, the Clinton insiders, the dark money interests? Warren endorsed Clinton over Sanders in 2016 because she had signed a pledge to support her in 2013, now she's collecting on her cowardice with interest. How can she afford to enact any of her plans if she follows the DNC rule requiring new spending needs to be offset, and if she supports unnecessary bloated Pentagon funding? The elites are smart, and they hear her double-speak loud and clear.

    The fact is that her supporters to this point have the least racial diversity, highest education, most wealth. It's not magic and it's not a mystery. These folks want another impotent but inspiring Obama clone. Another health care bandaid to be ripped off by the next Trump.
    Gimme a break. You tout Warren's lack of racial diversity among her supporters, but ignore Biden's overwhelming advantage among African Americans. Talk about double-speak.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

    Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

    How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •