Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    at every freeway offramp and many other intersections i see homeless people. I didn't see that 30 years ago. why is that ? why could our government, the greatest in the world, not figure it out. why is that not even an issue in presidential debates and to our presidents?
    In my rankings of presidential candidates, I don't mean to suggest I don't care about how income inequality has gotten so much worse in the past few decades or about how we are in a state of constant war and imperialism. I care a lot about both of those things. I believe it would take a generational leader to tackle the former against an opposition party in Congress and a truly civilization-changing leader to tackle the latter.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      In my rankings of presidential candidates, I don't mean to suggest I don't care about how income inequality has gotten so much worse in the past few decades or about how we are in a state of constant war and imperialism. I care a lot about both of those things. I believe it would take a generational leader to tackle the former against an opposition party in Congress and a truly civilization-changing leader to tackle the latter.
      I didn't think that at all, and always appreciate your thought. I am just a bit different in my hopes and expectations than most
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I expect a lot more than most people I suspect. Just really hard for me to accept what our country has become.
        I agree with that, but I think the presidential candidates are a reflection of how our society has changed and not a cause of it. The individualism/selfishness and materialism we embraced in the 80s (and which had its roots earlier than that) is bearing fruit now, and it's not good.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          I agree with that, but I think the presidential candidates are a reflection of how our society has changed and not a cause of it. The individualism/selfishness and materialism we embraced in the 80s (and which had its roots earlier than that) is bearing fruit now, and it's not good.
          I agree they are a reflection of our society, and I am not enthused about where our society is right now. the inequality and struggles of the working class, as well as our military/foreign policy distress me. I hope things will get better, but I suspect they will get worse before they get better. I hope to be pleasantly surprised
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I just wanted to say that I don't pass by here as often as I used to, but when I do it is always great to see Kevin Seitzer's contributions. They are well informed and thought out and great to see during times like these where my blood pressure rises on most other message platforms.

And Feral you are doing well too. I thought I remembered you being Sharp Talons from a long time ago, but if so you have matured over the years and I like your contributions as well.

Comment

• Yes, the LP failed to actually convert republican voters, but I still like their ads and I thought this one was a good one to contrast the great speeches fromm past presidents with the way Trump communicates:

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• watching my favorite movie, star trek 4 the voyage home. it has everything. time travel, humor, whales, optimism, quotes. they say the sea is cold, but it contains the hottest blood of all.

I've been in two massive layoffs were I worked twice, and both time the jobs were shipped to another country. they pay wasn't even good. but the first company took me off the street and taught me how to build 14k dense wavelength multiplexers. so companies like apple and google and facebook could rule the world someday. yet our costumers were alacatel, lucent, WorldCom, and all the other fiber companies at the time. then the dotcom bubble burst. this was a result of getting too far ahead of ourselves at the time. but it was also a result of short-sighted economic strategy -where power is consolidated and having a non-decentralized system collapses or bursts under it's own weight. that job went to South Korea and was automated and it made a difference in saving the company.

so I went to a shitty school for electronics I retrained myself. then I got another good job. pay wasn't that good again, but it was secure. started at $10.50 and got laid off 16 years later at $18. ended up with a 5k pension though. and that job went to India. and I retrained myself again and went to the worst HVAC school in the country. about half way in the state told me I qualified for trade assistance but I had already enrolled. ..it's doesn't matter. everything always ends up working out.

what I don't understand is how an economy can be based on social media and advertising. democrats say the policy is you should adapt and learn to invent companies like amazon and google and move to California and get rich because that's how our economy is based. while we outsource labor and now China has the biggest Navy in the world.

yet, if you really want to have any chance of finding a solution to a problem, you have to be able to communicate, or collaborate or even base the biggest economy that ever existed on social media first. which enhances cooperation.

politics and elections aren't fake or bad or a waste of time. they are times when civilizations attempt to reaffirm their optimism for the future.

Comment

• Dr. Gillian Taylor: Don't tell me! You're from outer space.

Kirk: No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space.

Comment

• Picard: Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.

Riker: Speak for yourself, sir. I plan to live forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                            I guess I should make some predictions.

For Trump
                            TX
                            IA
                            OH
                            FL
                            GA

For Biden

NC
                            ME-2
                            NE-2
                            AZ
                            PA
                            MI
                            WI
                            MN

312 - 226

Senate

For R's

SC
                            Alaska
                            TX
                            AL
                            MS
                            KS
                            MT

That's one flip for them

For D's

Maine
                            NC
                            CO
                            AZ
                            MI
                            IA

That's flipping 5 for a net of 4 which would give Democrats 51. This number really could wind up anywhere.

I am now predicting both GA races go to a runoff I don't think Ossoff or Perdue clear 50 today. If you made me pick one today I would take Ossoff. The second GA definitely goes to a runoff.

The House Democrats retain and I will go with gain 11 seats.
                            The good news I got really close on the Presidential race. I assume NC stays for Trump so flip GA and NC and give ME-2 to Trump, got everything else right The bad I wore my blue tinted glasses in the Senate and unless the Democrats win both GA run-offs my numbers look real shitty, ooops. The house the Dems held it but are going to lose seats and not win them. Also oops.

I'll take it and maybe no projecting anything but the pres.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                              I'll take it and maybe no projecting anything but the pres.
                              Heh...you did a great job on everything except the Tillis-Cunningham race.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X