Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2020

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Nikki Haley deletes her Twitter account to start a new one, amid speculation that she is launching a primary nomination fight vs. Trump. Wow, this could be an even more crowded field than the Dems! Jeff Flake, John Kasich, Nikki Haley, dare I say Mitt Romney.....come on in, the water's fine!
    I think the only way Trump goes down in the primary is if the in-party opposition has a consensus alternative candidate to unite behind. Pretty much as soon as Iowa and New Hampshire are decided, everyone but the leading non-Trump option would need to get out of the way and endorse the other. I think Flake is too weak a candidate and think Romney feels he needs to give Utah a full term. I think either Haley or Kasich or maybe Paul Ryan could do it, again, if a leading challenger emerges quickly from among them and the others rally behind him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    I think the only way Trump goes down in the primary is if the in-party opposition has a consensus alternative candidate to unite behind. Pretty much as soon as Iowa and New Hampshire are decided, everyone but the leading non-Trump option would need to get out of the way and endorse the other. I think Flake is too weak a candidate and think Romney feels he needs to give Utah a full term. I think either Haley or Kasich or maybe Paul Ryan could do it, again, if a leading challenger emerges quickly from among them and the others rally behind him/her.
    True, but OTOH, any time an incumbent has encountered a primary fight, he's lost in the general election; and two, if there's actually a burgeoning field, and not and one-off, it shows a serious perceived divide in the party.

Big Leaguer
    Govt shut down headed towards what seems to be a wreck of a state of the union address, as I do not see this backing down before then, jan. 30th. This gross immoral clueless man who has buyers to his steady stream of not just lies, but alternate reality, will face a reckoning. Trump will sign a bill to re open, and simply re name the obvious defeat as a rose of another name, and will have followers who will eat up the nonsense. But it wont be soon, it will be the longest govt shut down in our history, and the absurdism of it all, that we had a passed bi partisan support bill for continuing resolution but Trump watched some tv and didnt like what the nutjobs like Rush on the most extreme channels were saying and 1 man showed this circus, proudly telling Schummer he will own it.

Anyway, my guess is this will go to jan 30th, impossibly ridiculous, but where do i put down my bet.

In same way Trump will declare victory in the face of an obvious defeat of shutdown, he will do so with re election, and cannot run.

South of the Cheedar Curtain, in the land of the FIBs
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Nikki Haley deletes her Twitter account to start a new one, amid speculation that she is launching a primary nomination fight vs. Trump. Wow, this could be an even more crowded field than the Dems! Jeff Flake, John Kasich, Nikki Haley, dare I say Mitt Romney.....come on in, the water's fine!
    Flake can’t win, IMHO. Kasich tried and couldn’t find the spark to gain support. Romney isn’t going to run, I suspect he’d like to but, he won’t. It’s too soon for Ryan. I’d love to see Nikki Haley give it a go.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Big Leaguer
    Flake
    Kasich
    Romney
    Ryan
    Nikki Haley
    I would with gusto be thrilled and relieved with any of these names being President. I would love someone who reads and can process that information and can speak a couple sentences without lying as President, so any of those names I would say is a huge upgrade.

Suburbs of Minneapolis...close to Hornsby
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    Flake can’t win, IMHO. Kasich tried and couldn’t find the spark to gain support. Romney isn’t going to run, I suspect he’d like to but, he won’t. It’s too soon for Ryan. I’d love to see Nikki Haley give it a go.
    I think Kasich started too late. If there would have been another 4-6 weeks in the primary season, I think he would have overtaken Trump. He didn't gain traction early because he is too moderate, and he couldn't speak to the hard conservatives. IMO, when it got down to Trump and one or two others, all of sudden people were like, "Hey, I could live with this Kasich guy." He just ran out of time. I think he would be a great candidate in the primary now.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

South of the Cheedar Curtain, in the land of the FIBs
    Quote Originally Posted by In the Corn View Post
    I think Kasich started too late. If there would have been another 4-6 weeks in the primary season, I think he would have overtaken Trump. He didn't gain traction early because he is too moderate, and he couldn't speak to the hard conservatives. IMO, when it got down to Trump and one or two others, all of sudden people were like, "Hey, I could live with this Kasich guy." He just ran out of time. I think he would be a great candidate in the primary now.
    ITC I’m not sure I agree with everything you wrote about overtaking Trump, but in general, I agree that he would have been far far far better choice than Trump. He wouldn’t have been my first choice but I could’ve voted for him. If he is the only alternative to primary against Trump, he’ll get my vote.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

I'm starting to receive a lot of email from Kamala Harris, so she's definitely bought/acquired Democratic donor/supporter lists. I'm pretty confident that she'll be in, and I'd say she's probably my early favorite from the field.

The next President will be Ted Cruz. I know that sucks but make plans to deal with it.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    The next President will be Ted Cruz. I know that sucks but make plans to deal with it.

J
    President of what?