Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2020

Check this out, my dad's 1959 James Madison HS (Brooklyn, NY) yearbook:

Dad Yearbook.jpg

Bernie Sanders Yearbook.jpg

Top photo is my dad, bottom photo is Bernie Sanders. Since my dad has passed away, I don't know if they knew each other, but I'm sure they did in some capacity.

Also in Madison's Class of 1959: infamous Mafia hitman Roy DeMeo. I'd love to have gone to a few of those parties.....

incredibly, my father went to the same high school.

but he was Class of 1936 (yes, he was old when I was born!). the school's top athlete was Marty Glickman, who as a teenager qualified for the Olympics that year in Berlin. a certain Chancellor of Germany was said to have influenced the removal of Glickman and another Jewish athlete from competing in the Games.

my Dad - who was not a sports fan, really (my Mom was) - once told me that for some reason he still remembered the name of the quarterback on archrival Erasmus High because he was that impressive.

"Guy's name was Sid Luckman," he told me. "I wonder if he went any further in football."

uh, yeah. he quarterbacked the Chicago Bears to the NFL title in 1940, 1941, 1943, and 1946 and landed in the College and Pro Football Halls of Fame.
    just finished my 35th year in 12-team NL 5x5
    AVG collapse in Sept left us finishing 4th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

UPDATED! 2019 keeper candidates (can keep up to 11)
    SP Kershaw 42, AWood 5, CSmith 1
    RP Jeffress 1, Dominguez 10, Knebel 2
    C Realmuto 13, 3B Longoria 15, 2B Kendrick 8, 2S Hanson 10
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, CarGo 14, FCordero 10

LOL. My father also went to Madison. Maybe even class of 1959, because I think he graduated at age 16, but I'm double checking with him. He's getting old so he doesn't text me back right away.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    LOL. My father also went to Madison. Maybe even class of 1959, because I think he graduated at age 16, but I'm double checking with him. He's getting old so he doesn't text me back right away.
    At least he can text.. My father barely can use the flip phone he has.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

My Dad was Madison Class of 1960.

My Dad was Madison Class of 1960.
    Did he participate in any activities?

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Did he participate in any activities?
    I'll ask him, but my understanding is that while he was good enough to play basketball at City College, he was not good enough to make the team at Madison, and that he therefore played soccer instead.

I'll ask him, but my understanding is that while he was good enough to play basketball at City College, he was not good enough to make the team at Madison, and that he therefore played soccer instead.
    My dad was on the bowling team, and I also have that team photo. So if he bowled, he's there. Did you ask him if he knew my dad (or Bernie)?

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    My dad was on the bowling team, and I also have that team photo. So if he bowled, he's there. Did you ask him if he knew my dad (or Bernie)?
    I know he didn't personally know Bernie Sanders. Did your dad go by Robert or Bob or Bobby?

I know he didn't personally know Bernie Sanders. Did your dad go by Robert or Bob or Bobby?
    Bobby.