Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Nor is Kamala Harris'.
    I don’t know about that....California has a very early primary this year, followed by several Southern ones, where Democratic minorities would likely do well. A decent showing in Iowa, followed by a dead cat bounce by Warren in NH, followed by Harris winning in SC and California and she would have a lot of momentum.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      I'm not interested in and don't plan to engage in any pot shots against any prospective Democratic nominee. Welcome to the race. You've got a good year to sell me on why you should have my vote and my support.
      Ronald Reagan approves of this message.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Interesting. In this year of the woman in politics, why do you say that (moreso about Harris).
        Her prosecutorial record isn't very progressive.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• A platform not built on "Anything is better than Trump" is an important starting point. Defining exactly what you are for or against is going to be important. The problem with doing that is it inevitably disenfranchises various voting blocks on the left side. If you disenfranchise one - you tend to disenfranchise a number of them. The other concern in my mind on the D side is that we are seeing the effects of the pendulum that has been swinging further and further left in that party. Will that pendulum continue moving left - which may likely create some serious concerns with more moderate lefties - or will it start swinging back to the middle.

Having a defined platform that unites the left - would be easy - "Im not Trump". Selling that in the general election to the masses - likely not as easy.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            I'm not interested in and don't plan to engage in any pot shots against any prospective Democratic nominee. Welcome to the race. You've got a good year to sell me on why you should have my vote and my support.
            I haven't made up my mind either, but examining someone's record is not a pot shot.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
              A platform not built on "Anything is better than Trump" is an important starting point. Defining exactly what you are for or against is going to be important. The problem with doing that is it inevitably disenfranchises various voting blocks on the left side. If you disenfranchise one - you tend to disenfranchise a number of them. The other concern in my mind on the D side is that we are seeing the effects of the pendulum that has been swinging further and further left in that party. Will that pendulum continue moving left - which may likely create some serious concerns with more moderate lefties - or will it start swinging back to the middle.

Having a defined platform that unites the left - would be easy - "Im not Trump". Selling that in the general election to the masses - likely not as easy.
              Trump fooled the country once, he won't be able to do it again. (Other than his delusional base). He's a weak candidate who is further going to be hurt by his own primary challengers.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Trump fooled the country once, he won't be able to do it again. (Other than his delusional base). He's a weak candidate who is further going to be hurt by his own primary challengers.
                Im no fan of Trump. That said, the Right does not have as big a problem defining their position - it may be figuring out how to get back to the center a bit and finding a way to hamstring Trump using his own words against him. You may not like either of these guys, but I think if Ted Cruz or Mitt Romney were willing to get their pants a bit dirty and start calling out Trump for some of his exploits - they may be able to pick up some steam by showing they can be much more diplomatic and still throw a good punch.
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Im no fan of Trump. That said, the Right does not have as big a problem defining their position - it may be figuring out how to get back to the center a bit and finding a way to hamstring Trump using his own words against him. You may not like either of these guys, but I think if Ted Cruz or Mitt Romney were willing to get their pants a bit dirty and start calling out Trump for some of his exploits - they may be able to pick up some steam by showing they can be much more diplomatic and still throw a good punch.
                  Without something substantive from Mueller (or a new scandal) running against Trump in the primaries is a Kamakazi mission. He has an 89% approval rating among Republicans. The folks taking him on are committing political suicide and will be forever ostracized within the party. Additionally, I can’t imagine any card carrying Republican wants ‘kept Trump from 2nd term’ to be the first line in their obituary. I realize it’s a liberal fantasy that some white knight is going to ride in and wound Trump in a primary but I just can’t see it happening. Maybe, maybe someone planning on switching parties (Flake?), but even then it seems more fantasy than reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                    Without something substantive from Mueller (or a new scandal) running against Trump in the primaries is a Kamakazi mission. He has an 89% approval rating among Republicans. The folks taking him on are committing political suicide and will be forever ostracized within the party. Additionally, I can’t imagine any card carrying Republican wants ‘kept Trump from 2nd term’ to be the first line in their obituary. I realize it’s a liberal fantasy that some white knight is going to ride in and wound Trump in a primary but I just can’t see it happening. Maybe, maybe someone planning on switching parties (Flake?), but even then it seems more fantasy than reality.
                    Kasich 'actively thinking' lol.

Calling the current political climate "disturbing," outgoing Republican Ohio Gov. John Kasich told "Fox News Sunday" that he is "actively considering" mounting a primary challenge to President Trump in the 2020 election.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

The Democrats had no problem defining their platform in the mid-terms.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

You may be right nots!

Im just getting very tired of both sides willing to play a game of scorched earth politics - even though it continues to make my point that the parties are more concerned about themselves than the actual people.

At some point someone is going to have to be a uniter here.

Comment

You may be right nots!

Im just getting very tired of both sides willing to play a game of scorched earth politics - even though it continues to make my point that the parties are more concerned about themselves than the actual people.

At some point someone is going to have to be a uniter here.
                          And the country is tired of our president governing like a toddler. Clear majorities a) are opposed to the wall, and b) blame Trump and McConnell for the shutdown.

The Democrats have absolutely no incentive to placate the toddler.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Running a primary campaign against the incumbent didn't seem to affect the futures of Ronald Reagan or Ted Kennedy, even after the incumbent lost.

Also, a PBS/Marist poll released today shows that 57% of registered voters will absolutely not vote for Trump in '20. But more importantly, the % of Republicans who said they definitely would vote for Trump has dropped to just 69%.

Comment

And the country is tired of our president governing like a toddler. Clear majorities a) are opposed to the wall, and b) blame Trump and McConnell for the shutdown.

The Democrats have absolutely no incentive to placate the toddler.
                              I don’t disagree with your toddler comment, but I think you have to be careful with the clear majorities stuff.
                              Clear majorities were against Obamacare too. We don’t govern based on clear majorities.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Running a primary campaign against the incumbent didn't seem to affect the futures of Ronald Reagan or Ted Kennedy, even after the incumbent lost.

Also, a PBS/Marist poll released today shows that 57% of registered voters will absolutely not vote for Trump in '20. But more importantly, the % of Republicans who said they definitely would vote for Trump has dropped to just 69%.
                                https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-trump-in-2020
                                I don’t believe Ford had an 89% rating amongst Republicans and I am sure Carter didn’t have one amongst Democrats. If the % sinks, sure it’s possible, but if it stays where it is, I can’t see it. Plus, America has become much, much more tribal since the 70s. ‘My team is the best and your team sucks’ wasn’t as prevelant back then

Comment

Working...
                                X