No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These polls are interesting - but lets not forget the Electoral College. By popularity Trump is close in those polls, and he may still be able to win there.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      These polls are interesting - but lets not forget the Electoral College. By popularity Trump is close in those polls, and he may still be able to win there.
      You make a very important point. This is also where someone who is a moderate will help, especially in the Midwest. Hillary, while a moderate, was a tainted candidate and had a poor campaign strategy for the Midwest. Any moderate who can pull WI, MI, OH and PA from Trump will easily win.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
        Sometimes centrist decide to keep the crap they have, as they don't know what the other turd smells like.

I think most everyone is accepting of incremental change. Wholesale change is very difficult.

Until you see a lot of the older Baby Boomers starting to die off, you're going to see a lot of support for Trump.
        That's exactly where your assumption goes wrong, thinking that baby boomers are a larger and more important voting bloc than millenials. Did you know that 2019 is the year that millenials overtake boomers as a larger voting group? So by November of 2020, if millenials outnumber boomers by a 5-10% margin, even if they have a 10% lower turnout, their influence would still equal boomers, who largely support Trump.

So you want to choose someone who won't excite the biggest base of Democratic voters, who are shown to support Dems at a 2-1 ratio, so long as they're progressive... you want to go the Hillary route and instead try to peel away fanatical Trump supporters by prematurely "meeting in the middle", against a viciously uncompromising Republican party? Think that would go well, or produce anything? On income inequality, health care, marijuana legalization, $15/hr minimum wage, free college, you name it. The "far-left" aligns much closer with popular opinion than centrism which declares these popular opinions as too pie-in-the-sky. That won't get it done. Not with Bernie jumping in. 50% of the country make less than $30K/yr. The economic boom is a mirage, as real wages are stagnant. You think they're going to get excited by Kamala Harris LIFT act, a middle class tax scheme? When it's set in contrast to Bernie? I doubt it, but we shall see.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          That's exactly where your assumption goes wrong, thinking that baby boomers are a larger and more important voting bloc than millenials. Did you know that 2019 is the year that millenials overtake boomers as a larger voting group? So by November of 2020, if millenials outnumber boomers by a 5-10% margin, even if they have a 10% lower turnout, their influence would still equal boomers, who largely support Trump.

So you want to choose someone who won't excite the biggest base of Democratic voters, who are shown to support Dems at a 2-1 ratio, so long as they're progressive... you want to go the Hillary route and instead try to peel away fanatical Trump supporters by prematurely "meeting in the middle", against a viciously uncompromising Republican party? Think that would go well, or produce anything? On income inequality, health care, marijuana legalization, $15/hr minimum wage, free college, you name it. The "far-left" aligns much closer with popular opinion than centrism which declares these popular opinions as too pie-in-the-sky. That won't get it done. Not with Bernie jumping in. 50% of the country make less than $30K/yr. The economic boom is a mirage, as real wages are stagnant. You think they're going to get excited by Kamala Harris LIFT act, a middle class tax scheme? When it's set in contrast to Bernie? I doubt it, but we shall see.
          But here's is the real key......THEY HAVE TO ACTUALLY VOTE!!!!!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I did a quick google search and found this
            http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-s-electorate/

potential voting millennials is growing but they are still not a substantial percentage is not voting compared to other groups.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              But here's is the real key......THEY HAVE TO ACTUALLY VOTE!!!!!
              Wait a tick...... you mean I have to actually get up and go someplace that maintains some semblance of a controlled environment in order to perform a task. Meh - too much work.

LOL!
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Its actually a brilliant long term strategy by the political parties. Make the process unappealing to be involved in, so fewer and fewer take part in the process. Quit teaching kids in elementary and high school about the political process, so they are less likely to take part in the process. The less interested they are - the more power the parties can take.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  Its actually a brilliant long term strategy by the political parties. Make the process unappealing to be involved in, so fewer and fewer take part in the process. Quit teaching kids in elementary and high school about the political process, so they are less likely to take part in the process. The less interested they are - the more power the parties can take.
                  yep
                  https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/86002635-132.html

and then hire as secretary of education a person who does not want to see public schools succeed

Comment

• Sanders doesn't just appeal to millennials. He showed he can appeal to the white working class better than candidates whose message is more based on social justice rather than economic fairness. That could be very successful in the Midwest swing states. His campaign in 2016 earned the right to be taken seriously again in 2020, but he needs to show he can bring voters of color into his "coalition" if he wants to emerge as the nominee. Maybe AOC would be able to help him do that if she became a strong early surrogate.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      Sanders doesn't just appeal to millennials. He showed he can appeal to the white working class better than candidates whose message is more based on social justice rather than economic fairness. That could be very successful in the Midwest swing states. His campaign in 2016 earned the right to be taken seriously again in 2020, but he needs to show he can bring voters of color into his "coalition" if he wants to emerge as the nominee. Maybe AOC would be able to help him do that if she became a strong early surrogate.
                      I find it interesting the the esteemed RJ Political Wonk, Bob Kohm posted on Facebook, "Go away, Bernie."

AOC needs to find her grounding. I'm in agreement with some her ideas, but there seems to be little substance behind it.
                      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Sanders doesn't just appeal to millennials. He showed he can appeal to the white working class better than candidates whose message is more based on social justice rather than economic fairness. That could be very successful in the Midwest swing states. His campaign in 2016 earned the right to be taken seriously again in 2020, but he needs to show he can bring voters of color into his "coalition" if he wants to emerge as the nominee. Maybe AOC would be able to help him do that if she became a strong early surrogate.
                        Yep, totally agree that is the key for Sanders and I think his greater name recognition this time around will help. Hopefully the corporatist elites in the Democratic Party don't try to marginalize him again considering how widely supported his proposals are. It will also help that there isn't an "anointed" candidate like there was last time.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                          I find it interesting the the esteemed RJ Political Wonk, Bob Kohm posted on Facebook, "Go away, Bernie."

AOC needs to find her grounding. I'm in agreement with some her ideas, but there seems to be little substance behind it.
                          Kohm was always firmly entrenched in the center, except on foreign policy where he was a Neo-Conservative.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            I still would rather a centrist candidate win than a more progressive candidate lose and am not convinced, at all, that a very progressive candidate would win.
                            I too would rather see any one of the Democratic candidates win over seeing my favorite candidate win the nomination and lose, no question. On a scale of 1 to 10, Trump is a 1, and the Democrats are all 7s, 8s or 9s. Heck, even Weld or Kasich would be 5s in comparison to Trump for me. So yes, a lot of it for me comes down to an assessment around who is the best candidate to win versus Trump. I'm not convinced, necessarily, that "centrism", broadly defined, will perform better than "progressivism", broadly defined, in the critical swing states. I think it comes down to the clarity of the message and the connection that the candidate is able to establish with voters around the message and the policies, and yeah, being able to win PA, MI, WI, MN, FL, etc, by a few percentage points, versus being able to win NY/CA by 50 percentage points.

Comment

I too would rather see any one of the Democratic candidates win over seeing my favorite candidate win the nomination and lose, no question. On a scale of 1 to 10, Trump is a 1, and the Democrats are all 7s, 8s or 9s. Heck, even Weld or Kasich would be 5s in comparison to Trump for me. So yes, a lot of it for me comes down to an assessment around who is the best candidate to win versus Trump. I'm not convinced, necessarily, that "centrism", broadly defined, will perform better than "progressivism", broadly defined, in the critical swing states. I think it comes down to the clarity of the message and the connection that the candidate is able to establish with voters around the message and the policies, and yeah, being able to win PA, MI, WI, MN, FL, etc, by a few percentage points, versus being able to win NY/CA by 50 percentage points.
                              agree mostly and we really don't know have the faintest idea who that person is at this time - and there are a few more that havent been added to the list yet

Comment

• I like this guy's analysis. He believes Sanders would sweep the midwest, for much of the reasoning B-Fly mentioned already. Sanders has the highest approval rating in the country, and I keep seeing this new critique of him that "everybody adopted all of your ideas already, so do you even serve a purpose?".... it makes me laugh so hard. MSM underestimates Sanders popularity, bigly. I'm glad B-Fly sees a path to Sanders winning. I cannot wait to see the double whammy impact of AOC endorsing Bernie and the entire media attacking her for it.

Every single candidate's rollout has been a disaster, IMO, except for Buttigieg, Yang, and now Sanders. In order of awfulness: Warren, Booker, Harris, Klobuchar, and to a lesser degree, Tulsi, Gillibrand... all extremely problematic. I'm confident they'll be sniffed out. Tulsi remains a wildcard. I think she's a threat to Bernie's left consolidation more than anybody.

Biden jumping in would be like the end of The Running Man, where Jesse Ventura comes out of retirement to create a believable narrative that Biden somehow has a better chance of winning. Would people buy that argument? I doubt it. I hope Biden runs. I think his polling is entirely based on name recognition, and he would be the Jeb '16 of 2020. Just my take though.

Bernie running means Howard Schultz will burn more money to keep Trump's tax cuts in play. But I honestly think he'll campaign hard enough that it spawns a Starbucks boycott to keep him out of the race. That's my hope, anyway.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X