Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I took issue with your wording My wife is also a POC and loves Bernie - so I thought it was a tad overreach on your part to say he is out of touch and clueless with POC.
    If you agree with everything else I said, I don't know how you also disagree with calling him out of touch and clueless. Unless you think he is totally in touch and understands the demographic and consciously chooses not to court it more effectively.

And I suspect your wife's love of Bernie, like my wive's less than love for him, is probably influenced by underlying politics as much as him being great at messaging for the POC demographics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      If you agree with everything else I said, I don't know how you also disagree with calling him out of touch and clueless. Unless you think he totally understand the demographic and consciously chooses not to court it more effectively.
      Ok hes clueless and out of touch
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I thinl you are ignoring the open ended interpratations of callimg someone clueless and out of touch....very imprecise language
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• My wife and mother are both white, and both hate Bernie because they feel he didn't work hard enough to get his supporters and otherwise use his influence to get Hillary elected over Trump. So while I think his candidacy is in many ways boosted by his primary performance in 2016, there are definitely lingering bad feelings and negatives among the Democratic Primary electorate as well. (I should note that, personally, I was mostly satisfied with his advocacy for Hillary over Trump from the Convention through Election Day.)

Comment

I thinl you are ignoring the open ended interpratations of callimg someone clueless and out of touch....very imprecise language
            What is opened ended about it? I meant to suggest he does not understand or show he cares specifically about the specific issues that face Black and Latinx Americans. They are not part of his lived experience, and I don't fault him for that. I think his heart is in the right place and his policies would have a positive impact on most Americans, including POC. But out of touch and clueless seem like apt descriptors for him on this issue to me given how he has articulated his messages to that demographic to date. I think the numbers show that so far. It doesn't mean that won't change or he can't win those voters over.

Comment

What is opened ended about it? I meant to suggest he does not understand or show he cares specifically about the specific issues that face Black and Latinx Americans. They are not part of his lived experience, and I don't fault him for that. I think his heart is in the right place and his policies would have a positive impact on most Americans, including POC. But out of touch and clueless seem like apt descriptors for him on this issue to me given how he has articulated his messages to that demographic to date. I think the numbers show that so far. It doesn't mean that won't change or he can't win those voters over.
              Seriously you can't understand that lots of different people could interpret "Clueless and out of touch" in a lot of different ways. I won't argue that with you, but I think it is a ridiculous statement
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Seriously you can't understand that lots of different people could interpret "Clueless and out of touch" in a lot of different ways. I won't argue that with you, but I think it is a ridiculous statement
                No, I seriously don't see how clueless and out of touch can be interpreted differently from my statements that suggest I think he is clueless and out of touch. Especially taken in the larger contexts of my posts and general stances on all issues on these boards. Please give me an alternate interpretation of those phrases that differs significantly from the claims I have made about how he does not seem to know how to speak specifically to POC, and his silence on many issues suggests he doesn't understand or know about those issues.

Comment

No, I seriously don't see how clueless and out of touch can be interpreted differently from my statements that suggest I think he is clueless and out of touch. Especially taken in the larger contexts of my posts and general stances on all issues on these boards. Please give me an alternate interpretation of those phrases that differs significantly from the claims I have made.
                  My dad is clueless and out of touch when it comes to baseball.

Please tell me something about my dads knowledge of baseball
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

My dad is clueless and out of touch when it comes to baseball.

Please tell me something about my dads knowledge of baseball
                    Well, I'd assume he knows nothing about baseball from the clueless remark, and/or would be surprised by its evolution in the last couple of decades by the second.

ETA: It seemed to me you were using my post as a jumping off point about such points being made about Bernie as part of a larger "gotcha" agenda by HRC supporters and Republicans. Given my posting history, I didn't think that was fair to use my post to raise that issue, and further sought to clarify why I have my stance on this issue. Perhaps those specific phrases have been used by such folks, but I used them inadverantly. Not as a parroting of others' talking points. They reflect how my wife feels, and I've grown to agree with her. I still like Bernie, though, and think he can do better on reaching POC in 2020.

Comment

Well, I'd assume he knows nothing about baseball from the clueless remark, and/or would be surprised by its evolution in the last couple of decades by the second.
                      No you are wrong, it has nothing to do with that
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• He actually thinks the Yankees are better than the Phillies, how clueless can anyone be ?
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

He actually thinks the Yankees are better than the Phillies, how clueless can anyone be ?
                          You are just being contrarian now (not new, but I can never stay mad with that avatar staring at me) and harping on semantics.

Also, if the Phillies sign Harper, maybe he will change his mind!

Comment

ETA: It seemed to me you were using my post as a jumping off point about such points being made about Bernie as part of a larger "gotcha" agenda by HRC supporters and Republicans. Given my posting history, I didn't think that was fair to use my post to raise that issue, and further sought to clarify why I have my stance on this issue. Perhaps those specific phrases have been used by such folks, but I used them inadverantly. Not as a parroting of others' talking points. They reflect how my wife feels, and I've grown to agree with her. I still like Bernie, though, and think he can do better on reaching POC in 2020.
                            All I said in my last posts was that you should acknowledge the infinite number of interpretations and connotations when you call someone "Clueless and out of touch". I certainly didn't interpret your thoughts correctly and I'm certain there were also others who didn't
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

You are just being contrarian now (not new, but I can never stay mad with that avatar staring at me) and harping on semantics.

Also, if the Phillies sign Harper, maybe he will change his mind!
                              and thanks for the avatar comments !
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                My wife and mother are both white, and both hate Bernie because they feel he didn't work hard enough to get his supporters and otherwise use his influence to get Hillary elected over Trump. So while I think his candidacy is in many ways boosted by his primary performance in 2016, there are definitely lingering bad feelings and negatives among the Democratic Primary electorate as well. (I should note that, personally, I was mostly satisfied with his advocacy for Hillary over Trump from the Convention through Election Day.)
                                Hate Bernie for Clinton losing? Come on. So would they not vote for him if he's the nominee?
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X