Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I don't see all lies being equal. I think it is a false equivalency to compare lies of substance about real issues to a political lie that has been common practice to tell by politicians. A lie about keeping or taking a better job, to me, is very different than a lie to the people about global warming or colluding with Russia or a crisis at the border or pretending I don't know what Steve King just said or David Duke it.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I was one of her constituents and I voted for her because I believed she would not run. However, I doubt it. Her running will likely not matter, as she is unlikely to win. Politicians are put in a no win situation when asked if they will run for higher office while running for a lesser office. to be clear, did she lie? Yes, I think she knew. I'd prefer politicians didn't make that lie, but it is a common one, and not the same to me as lies about policy or crime or corruption.

If she comes out saying she never heard of David Duke, I'll make sure to attack her here. Or if she claims global warming was invented by the Chinese, I'll be the first to call her out. You really think the lie politicians all tell about not running for president is the same as all of the lies Trump tells? Is it just the same as paying people to rig polls?
    I don’t believe all of Trump’s lies are all the same here. For instance, his lying about the size of his inauguration road is pretty inconsequential IMO. More inconsequential than Gillibrand saying she would serve her full term. Yet, we had several pages of hyperventilating dialogue in the Trump thread (complete with pictures) about how scandalous that was. Many, many posters took him to task. Lot of examples like that one over the past 2 years—that one just sticks out to me.
    Consistency is a wonderful thing.
    Last edited by nots; 01-17-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      How about resigning from your House seat to take a job in the private sector just days into your new term?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/polit...ion/index.html
      pending info about some sort of family financial crisis, that sure sounds disgraceful to me
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Rough article for Beto.
        Breaking news, live coverage, investigations, analysis, video, photos and opinions from The Washington Post. Subscribe for the latest on U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, climate change, health and wellness, sports, science, weather, lifestyle and more.

Might want to put a little thought into your immigration policy. Something a little deeper than ‘I don’t know’.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
          Rough article for Beto.
          Breaking news, live coverage, investigations, analysis, video, photos and opinions from The Washington Post. Subscribe for the latest on U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, climate change, health and wellness, sports, science, weather, lifestyle and more.

Might want to put a little thought into your immigration policy. Something a little deeper than ‘I don’t know’.
          That's Beto in a nutshell. He looks good in the suit and he can read a speech. Don't ask him to answer anything outside his prep or to think on his own.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• "Republican Gov. Larry Hogan is acting a lot like a guy who wants to run against Donald Trump in 2020 — and the president's reelection team is taking notice.

The second-term Maryland governor has been implicitly going after Trump in speeches, meeting with Never Trump Republicans, and planning a March trip to Iowa as vice chair of the National Governors Association.

It’s all fueling speculation that Hogan, a 62-year-old cancer survivor who coasted to reelection in liberal Maryland and remains one of the most popular governors in the country, is open to the prospect of a long-shot primary challenge to the incumbent president. His flirtation comes at a time when Trump is facing increasing blowback over his handling of the protracted government shutdown and bracing for a potentially devastating report by special counsel Robert Mueller."

Comment

• Kamala Harris officially is in the race.

Comment

• Harris will be on with Rachael Maddow tonight at 9 pm ET on MSNBC.

In what was otherwise a bipartisan shitshow, Harris struck me as acting like the adult in the room as she questioned Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing. But can any 'adults' win a Presidential primary race anymore, and will she feel the need to toss about proverbial Molotov cocktails to appease the rabid part of the base?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  Harris will be on with Rachael Maddow tonight at 9 pm ET on MSNBC.

In what was otherwise a bipartisan shitshow, Harris struck me as acting like the adult in the room as she questioned Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing. But can any 'adults' win a Presidential primary race anymore, and will she feel the need to toss about proverbial Molotov cocktails to appease the rabid part of the base?
                  Well as a former prosecutor this was right in her wheelhouse. I will have no problem supporting her but I doubt she'll be my first choice.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                    Ya know, if you read the linked article, you'd know that this was a Republican, which is why it's "worse"! If it was a Democrat, well then...
                    Bernie, sometimes you are such a self-righteous...snowman. Don't pull any muscles patting yourself on the back for being better than me. The world must be a lot easier to digest when you assume anyone you disagree with is entirely motivated by left and right instead of the nuances of right and wrong. I have never been someone who decides whether someone's actions are right or wrong based on whether they are a D or an R. At the same time, I'm not going to shy away from criticizing an R more than a D, if I think their actions are different, and the R deserves more criticism. But you and others here so often would prefer to play the gotcha game than engage with ideas.

If you think it is a super big deal that a politician lied about running for higher office while running for a lower office, just say so. If you also don't think it is a big deal that a politician takes a high paying private job right after being elected, say that too. I think the latter is as least as bad as the former, but frankly, I don't rank either as particularly offensive. They are merely things voters should consider in future elections to me.

Why not just agree or disagree without constantly suggesting that anyone who thinks differently than you is a hypocrite whose concepts of right and wrong are entirely determined by whether the person being discussed in a D or R?
                    Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-21-2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• in brighter news, Fox News conservative Tucker Carlson just went nuclear on the monsters in the Sackler family - the bastards who own Purdue, which unleashed oxycontin on the world in 1996 and who, through a series of lies and deceptions, have collected more than $10 billion on the backs of addicts alive and deceased and the devastation left in the wake of their families.

zero reason this should be a partisan issue, but sometimes these days I wonder if anything can bring people together.

I hope we've finally got these douchebags, although look at what happened after the 2008 economic collapse - too close to nothing. but I'm saying there's a chance.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/be...g-of-oxycontin

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• I don't know enough about who exactly was responsible at that company, but I agree with the idea that the company has Hell to pay for. It does seem clear that they aggressively sold a drug as harmless and non addictive when they knew that was not true, and that became a gateway to a horrific epidemic. All in the name of profit, people be damned. It is an indictment of the whole pharma vendor system. We put entirely too much stock on drug reccomendations from doctors who often just parrot what pharma brochures tell them as vendors wine and dine them. The whole system needs reform and tighter regulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          in brighter news, Fox News conservative Tucker Carlson just went nuclear on the monsters in the Sackler family - the bastards who own Purdue, which unleashed oxycontin on the world in 1996 and who, through a series of lies and deceptions, have collected more than $10 billion on the backs of addicts alive and deceased and the devastation left in the wake of their families.

zero reason this should be a partisan issue, but sometimes these days I wonder if anything can bring people together.

I hope we've finally got these douchebags, although look at what happened after the 2008 economic collapse - too close to nothing. but I'm saying there's a chance.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/be...g-of-oxycontin
                          Oh they're monsters all right. I am obviously no fan of Tucker Carlson but I will give him credit that he's been on a top of couple issues which I agree should be bi-partisan. The other big one has been foreign policy. There might have been a third one as well.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• i think Fentanyl was originally created as an alternative to morphine during the search for a holy grail like drug that wasn't addictive.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Oh they're monsters all right. I am obviously no fan of Tucker Carlson but I will give him credit that he's been on a top of couple issues which I agree should be bi-partisan. The other big one has been foreign policy. There might have been a third one as well.
                              I would give Fox credit for at least covering both sides, except I have don't watch Fox. I can't tell if this is unusual or not. Still, it's a break for all anti-Trump, Resist, Resist, Resist all the time.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Kamala Harris officially is in the race.
                                The calendar sets up very well for her. If she can finish Top 3 in Iowa and NH, she should have a great run in SC, Calif, Tenn, Texas and Alabama in March 3. Be real tough to beat after that.

Comment

Working...
                                X