Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Buttigieg has 4% of the black vote, Klobuchar has 0%. Neither of them are viable going forward.
    Unless their performances across IA and NH, combined with Biden's terrible showing, somehow convince Black voters who find Sanders unpalatable to hop to either Buttigieg or Klobuchar instead of Biden. That's why I think they stay in at least through South Carolina to see if they can get some kind of bounce/traction with Black voters, particularly the older and more traditional Black voters who have been leaning Biden over Sanders per the polling to date.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      Unless their performances across IA and NH, combined with Biden's terrible showing, somehow convince Black voters who find Sanders unpalatable to hop to either Buttigieg or Klobuchar instead of Biden. That's why I think they stay in at least through South Carolina to see if they can get some kind of bounce/traction with Black voters, particularly the older and more traditional Black voters who have been leaning Biden over Sanders per the polling to date.
      I dont begrudge any of the current candidates staying through SC, as they all have a puncher's chance to overperform, and the delegate math implications are minor.

But if they stay in through super Tuesday, that's way too many delegates to be distributed through too many candidates, and would drastically increase the chances of a brokered convention, especially with Bloomberg's entry.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I dont begrudge any of the current candidates staying through SC, as they all have a puncher's chance to overperform, and the delegate math implications are minor.

But if they stay in through super Tuesday, that's way too many delegates to be distributed through too many candidates, and would drastically increase the chances of a brokered convention, especially with Bloomberg's entry.
        Agreed. I think we're largely on the same page at this point. The candidates should place the country and the party over their own ambition/self-interest and should drop out before Super Tuesday if their only reasonable chance at the nomination would be via a brokered/contested convention.

Comment

I'm with B-Fly, anybody who has zero shot at the nomination who stays on through super Tuesday is hurting the Democratic party chances to unite behind one candidate, increasing the odds of a contested convention.

A contested convention would be a disaster for Democrats, especially if superdelegates nominate someone other than the vote and delegate leader. Must be avoided at all costs if you truly prioritize removing Trump.
          I agree with all of this. We definitely need to rally behind a candidate/nominee leading into the convention - whomever it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            It should also be noted that turnout was up almost 18% over the 2016 NH Primary, showing that Dems realize the importance of showing up at the polls and ousting Trump.
            Trump though was encouraging "Independents" to vote though so the body might be partially from that.

Overall, I agree with what's been said, I'm hoping Warren gets out soon and throws her support immediately to Sanders.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I think Trump with the Ukraine and Hunter non-sense, coupled with his own decline makes Biden the candidate with the most baggage. So, I guess I disagree with B-Fly in the thinking that every single remaining candidate has a clear path to wining and beating Trump. Of course, I'd vote and support Biden, but he is currently the candidate that scares me the most. I hope if he doesn't dominate in SC that he drops out, which would clear the way to find the center lane candidate to square off against Bernie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I think Trump with the Ukraine and Hunter non-sense, coupled with his own decline makes Biden the candidate with the most baggage. So, I guess I disagree with B-Fly in the thinking that every single remaining candidate has a clear path to wining and beating Trump. Of course, I'd vote and support Biden, but he is currently the candidate that scares me the most. I hope if he doesn't dominate in SC that he drops out, which would clear the way to find the center lane candidate to square off against Bernie.
                As a billionaire who isn't interested in running for president, it is important to me that Biden stays in the race. It is important that I and other billionaires aren't limited to just one candidate. We need options to ensure that our viewpoint is considered. With candidates like Sanders and Warren taking shots and us we really need candidates like Biden and Buttigieg involved to make sure the viewpoint of the excessively wealthy is not lost. We are the forgotten Democrats. Just my 2 cents.
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  Just my 2 cents.

You cheap ass...…….
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Why dont candidates pick VPs and bring them along during the primaries? Couldn't this change positive perception more than negative?

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/sho...-vp-picks-now/

hmmm

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      You cheap ass...…….
                      How do you think I became a billionaire ?
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                        Why dont candidates pick VPs and bring them along during the primaries? Couldn't this change positive perception more than negative?

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/sho...-vp-picks-now/

hmmm
                        Absolutely not. The choice of VP needs to be a strategic one based on data and polling that won't be reliable while the race remains crowded. And there may be a perceived need to create a "unity ticket" from among the candidates still pursuing the nomination. And there are probably potential running mates who may be the best choice for several of the remaining candidates, such that locking each contender into choosing their own individual running mate now could cut off their ability to team with the best running mate going into the convention.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          How do you think I became a billionaire ?
                          You're good with Commas?
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            Absolutely not. The choice of VP needs to be a strategic one based on data and polling that won't be reliable while the race remains crowded. And there may be a perceived need to create a "unity ticket" from among the candidates still pursuing the nomination.
                            I believe I saw an interview recently with Bernie were they asked if he would consider naming a running mate prior to securing the nomination and he said "quite possibly, soon." That would certainly be interesting. If anyone could do it and not suffer backlash from it, it's probably Bernie.

I agree though that it would likely be a tactical mistake for most candidate to do so early. If nothing else because it gives an air of presumption that might alienate undecided voters. Not to mention that it limits the choices for the potential VP candidate. For example, Stacey Abrams would be a very good VP choice for several candidates, so unless she felt very strongly about one - what motivation would she have to align herself with someone who hasn't won the nomination.

At best I think we may see someone position themselves for a role similarly to how Julian Castro has affiliated with Warren's campaign, but he has an out if she doesn't win the nomination.

Comment

• I think anything less than 1st place in SC will lead to a private phone call from Obama to Biden saying, ‘it’s over’.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                                I think anything less than 1st place in SC will lead to a private phone call from Obama to Biden saying, ‘it’s over’.
                                I hope so. Hell, I hope Biden doesn't need the call and recognizes himself he'd need to drop out at that point.

Comment

Working...
                                X