No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a summary of the Sanders supporters' criticisms of Warren.

Bernie Sanders supporters are questioning Warren’s progressive bona fides — and for the first time, the campaign is going along with it.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Here is a summary of the Sanders supporters' criticisms of Warren.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0019647a279bb
      I have no criticisms of Warren and my worries about her vulnerability vs Trump in the General are waning, in fact I don't think any Dem is going to struggle against this POS and once he's impeached by the house, he's out as NO rational GOP member running for re election is going to back him.

2020, is already--a very good year.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I have no criticisms of Warren and my worries about her vulnerability vs Trump in the General are waning, in fact I don't think any Dem is going to struggle against this POS and once he's impeached by the house, he's out as NO rational GOP member running for re election is going to back him.

2020, is already--a very good year.
        I still think it's overly optimistic. The dude has so many things that should have brought him down already and people who vote for him just......don't......care.

I have a friend who was a Trump voter, largely because he was super anti-HRC, not so much that he supported Trump outright. In any event, he has gone down the rabbit hole and, despite us calling a moratorium on political stuff, I now get anti-Warren stuff, anti-Bernie stuff, anti-DNC stuff from him. And I don't think he is particularly unique in that respect. I think there are a lot of people who are like him.

But, I don't know - I guess we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
          I still think it's overly optimistic. The dude has so many things that should have brought him down already and people who vote for him just......don't......care.

I have a friend who was a Trump voter, largely because he was super anti-HRC, not so much that he supported Trump outright. In any event, he has gone down the rabbit hole and, despite us calling a moratorium on political stuff, I now get anti-Warren stuff, anti-Bernie stuff, anti-DNC stuff from him. And I don't think he is particularly unique in that respect. I think there are a lot of people who are like him.

But, I don't know - I guess we'll see.
          Exactly my experience. I know a guy who was kind of on the fence and seemed to be wary about Trump before the election but now he's daily posting pro-Trump/anti-Democrat memes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
            Exactly my experience. I know a guy who was kind of on the fence and seemed to be wary about Trump before the election but now he's daily posting pro-Trump/anti-Democrat memes.
            What is it about Trump that makes so many tens of thousands of people delusionally inspired? No one was that rabid about Obama. Or Bush. Or Clinton. Or any president before them. Or anyone who faced off against them. I don't recall any rabidness about Mitt Romney. Or John McCain. Someone won the election. Someone lost. The results and whoever won was generally accepted by all. Now, no one has downplayed and denigrated their political opponents as much as the current Trump GOP -- and they're the current holders of the WH! They won! Can you imagine if they lost, the daily deluge of anti-Hillary stuff?

So what is it? Are they terrified to be under a Democratic president again? Are they that swept up into the white, nationalistic, anti-immigrant rhetoric? Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
              Likewise. People in my family who were not in favor of Trump prior to the election are now posting stuff that is pro-Trump and mocks the Democratic candidates. They are on Team GOP, and if Trump is the price of that, they are willing to pay it.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                What is it about Trump that makes so many tens of thousands of people delusionally inspired? No one was that rabid about Obama. Or Bush. Or Clinton. Or any president before them. Or anyone who faced off against them. I don't recall any rabidness about Mitt Romney. Or John McCain. Someone won the election. Someone lost. The results and whoever won was generally accepted by all. Now, no one has downplayed and denigrated their political opponents as much as the current GOP -- and they're the current holders of the WH! They won! Can you imagine if they lost, the daily deluge of anti-Hillary stuff?

So what is it? Are they terrified to be under a Democratic president again? Are they that swept up into the white, nationalistic, anti-immigrant rhetoric? Does anyone have any ideas?
                Some (not all, thankfully) of the older members of my family get a constant diet of Fox News. Literally. The TV is on all day at their houses and it is tuned to Fox News. That starting happening some time during the Obama administration and has continued under Trump.

I don't think it was as widespread back then, but even under Clinton, I knew people who would listen to hours on end of right-wing talk radio.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

What is it about Trump that makes so many tens of thousands of people delusionally inspired? No one was that rabid about Obama. Or Bush. Or Clinton. Or any president before them. Or anyone who faced off against them. I don't recall any rabidness about Mitt Romney. Or John McCain. Someone won the election. Someone lost. The results and whoever won was generally accepted by all. Now, no one has downplayed and denigrated their political opponents as much as the current Trump GOP -- and they're the current holders of the WH! They won! Can you imagine if they lost, the daily deluge of anti-Hillary stuff?

for me it's a part of their culture. he's some how become a representative not the other way around. i ask myself while sitting around the campfire, and listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Kid Rock, Guns and Roses and Bob Segar 'turn the page'. and then i watch them freak out about bee's, snakes, and spiders and i am like wtf guys, we are living in the woods. the other night they killed a huge wolf-like spider and took many hits with a giant fly swatter. and then i was like wtf, it was harmless and a beautiful specimen of nature. granted we are all drunk and then guns and roses or bob seger came on the radio and i am like, sigh i hate this song. i like kid rock and lynyrd skynyrd though.

it's just different worlds guys. perception is subjective.

Trump could very well get elected and i'd say his chances have gone up since he's become president. one comforting thought is he can't be any worse or that at least he's more experienced or should be better at it.

Warren is unelectable. she could be phony. i don't think she is. but she's not as totally transparent or honest like Sanders. she's like Hillary-lite. she'll change her positions and go with whats more popular, she's just not as craven of experienced as HRC. i'm fine with either woman, but if you thing a democratic woman from the northeast can get elected president today, i've got ketchup to sell to people wearing white gloves, or ice to Eskimos. who was the last one to pull it off JFK? it's not gonna happen. at least Sanders comes from a pro-gun state. like i said the first woman elected president, and i don't mean to be misogynistic, will be a conservative female. probable from the northeast.

i am starting to think Trump will be reelected. don't underestimate the impossible.

Comment

It seems it's not about getting anything done or even any policies, but more about "owning the libs". Trump is an internet troll personified, the culmination of years of talking heads talking out of their asses without any repercussions. He's their dream come true, whether he actually makes the country better or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Likewise. People in my family who were not in favor of Trump prior to the election are now posting stuff that is pro-Trump and mocks the Democratic candidates. They are on Team GOP, and if Trump is the price of that, they are willing to pay it.
                      With all the things Trump has done and said, I just don't understand how anyone can support him. In the past, I've disagreed with Republican presidents but felt like they at least could act presidential, this guy's a buffoon.

Grab 'em by the pussy quote? nothing
                      mock the reporter with the disability? nothing
                      Just make shit up on the spot? nothing
                      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• I'm not following the math. I don't expect anyone who voted Trump in 2016 to change their vote.

The change will come from the Left being united going into the election, which they were not in 2016. THOSE are the difference making votes.

The Left is far more energized this election than they were after the Dem Primaries.

Again I don't see where Trump gains a thing, unless the DNC shoots themselves in the foot again.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          I'm not following the math. I don't expect anyone who voted Trump in 2016 to change their vote.

The change will come from the Left being united going into the election, which they were not in 2016. THOSE are the difference making votes.

The Left is far more energized this election than they were after the Dem Primaries.

Again I don't see where Trump gains a thing, unless the DNC shoots themselves in the foot again.
                          Yep, and all those anti-Clinton folks who figured what the hell have seen Trump as President and it's been a total clusterfuck. His base simply isn't enough to win re-election.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Tidbits from the campaign trail...

Tulsi Gabbard is the 12th candidate to qualify for October debate. She was asked directly "who do you plan to knee-cap in the next debate?" and she laughed. She said Liz Warren isn't fit to serve as President, so that might be her next target. Should be fun to watch. Other Tulsi news, she doesn't support impeachment (I'm with her), and she's backed away from Med4All (ugh). So she's a wildcard, but I like her on the stage. Debate would split to 2 groups of 6, unless anybody drops out. Cory Booker is likely to drop out quickly, made a plea that if he doesn't raise $1.7 Million in 10 days, he would drop out. That was 4-5 days ago. Klobuchar should join him, but she has nobody to advocate for, whereas Booker sees Liz Warren's VP ticket as a much more attainable prize.

Other news, Yang recently hit 4th place in national polling at 8%... I hate that motherfucker. His cheap $1K/mth ploy to buy poor people's entitlements is sick shit, but it's working. I hope he gets sidelined somehow, but he currrently looks on pace to finish top 5, and hugely skew the progressive vote. Just like I fearfully predicted from the start.

Warren backed away from Med4All AGAIN... Here's the direct quote, word for word: "Right now, what we have with Medicare for All is a framework, and it doesn't have the details, and you're right to be asking. But the most important part of her asking is to raise awareness so that we get this right as we go through it." Uhhh... there's no details for Medicare for All? The bill introduced by Sanders, that you say you support? So you're admitting that you're just using the "Med4All" LABEL, because the label plays well? Oh, that's... interesting. After previously saying "I support Medicare for All, I think it's a good plan. I mean, look, I support a lot of plans. Other things that people have come up with, when they're good plans, let's do it! This isn't some kinda contest, I gotta think of mine first. What's best for the American people?" Yeah... that's not your Med4All fighter. She's also previously said "we need everybody at the table, including the insurance industry folks".

I apologize in advance for my direct quotes. I know reality is hard for many folks here.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Yep, and all those anti-Clinton folks who figured what the hell have seen Trump as President and it's been a total clusterfuck. His base simply isn't enough to win re-election.
                              I agree that his base isn't enough, but here's his path to victory:

1) Biden nominated....Bernie camp remain unenthused and pissed about the system and don't vote for Biden.

2) Bernie or Warren nominated....centrists/moderate democrats find them "too progressive" and either stay home or vote again for Trump or vote for a third party.

3) People who don't like Trump but are personally doing better than they were 4 years ago. Might be compelled to not "rock the boat" and ignore everything else because personally they're doing better.

Any combination of these three things plus the pretty enthusiastic base that he has can tip the scales in favor of re-election. I guess I'm not as optimistic as everyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                                I agree that his base isn't enough, but here's his path to victory:

1) Biden nominated....Bernie camp remain unenthused and pissed about the system and don't vote for Biden.

2) Bernie or Warren nominated....centrists/moderate democrats find them "too progressive" and either stay home or vote again for Trump or vote for a third party.

3) People who don't like Trump but are personally doing better than they were 4 years ago. Might be compelled to not "rock the boat" and ignore everything else because personally they're doing better.

Any combination of these three things plus the pretty enthusiastic base that he has can tip the scales in favor of re-election. I guess I'm not as optimistic as everyone else.
                                I am somewhere between pessimistic and optimistic. Pessimistic for all the reasons you describe. Optimistic because I hope the people who thought that letting Trump run things instead of the establishment (two-party system) couldn't be any worse have realized the error of their ways and are willing to correct it.

Comment

Working...
                                X