No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sen. Elizabeth Warren has apologized to the Cherokee Nation for her decision to take a DNA test to prove her Native American ancestry, according to reports. “Senator Warren has reached out to us an…

She sure was proud about her test back in October though, wasn’t she?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      As has been undeniably proven in study after study looking at costs vs. efficacy, we are ALL getting screwed in this country because the system is completely broken (except the rich of course). Aren't you all about shaking up the system? Why are you so opposed to shaking up the healthcare market? Look at the insulin prices...why are we 4x what other countries are paying?
      I want to shake up the industry! I want them to publish what their cost to me is so I can see it before I buy it. If these companies are required to compete for market share by showing what their price is - one of those producers will lower the price to get more market share. Then in order to compete some other company will lower their price to gain market share back - and so on and so on....

People in AZ and CAL frequently go to Mexico in order to save money - because they are able to shop the price.

Edit to add: We have to also do something about the patent laws as it pertains to drugs. It is insane the amount of time a producer can monopolize the production/supply of our medications.
      Last edited by baldgriff; 02-01-2019, 03:56 PM.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Booker is officially in. I saw that Richard Ojeda officially dropped out. I'm most surprised by the lack of noise from Biden or his camp, but I guess with his name recognition and profile it's less imperative for him to jump in to fundraise and line up supporters early.

Comment

• I know it seems like a pipe dream (or nightmare, depending on your political leanings, I suppose), but do not completely discount Buttigieg's chances.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
            I know it seems like a pipe dream (or nightmare, depending on your political leanings, I suppose), but do not completely discount Buttigieg's chances.
            Are Americans ready to vote for a 37-year old married gay man (whose name stars with "butt")? I would like to hope so, but I'm skeptical.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Are Americans ready to vote for a 37-year old married gay man (whose name stars with "butt")? I would like to hope so, but I'm skeptical.
              Why should I care that he is gay?? Is he capable and does his political outlook align with mine - that is how I determine who I will vote for. Who he is married to and sleeps with is not relevant.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                He will enrage many, for sure, but his ability to galvanize young voters is meaningful. He's a long shot but maybe not as long as some think.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  Why should I care that he is gay?? Is he capable and does his political outlook align with mine - that is how I determine who I will vote for. Who he is married to and sleeps with is not relevant.
                  You say this ( and I believe you) BUT there are many who it does matter- I would say a large percentage of Trumpers,Christians... I know a lot of people who voted for trump over Hillary because of this 1 issue. I have heard people who say I could never vote Democratic because they are for legal same sex marriages. I think this is some of the problem people have with you is WE SEE you as someone who has little empathy for way people get treated for race,sexual preference,income short comings... but wants to live by the creed it is all up to ourselves to better our life... All People should not have to put up with some of the crap life throws at them and we should all want to help out making life as good as we can for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                    You say this ( and I believe you) BUT there are many who it does matter- I would say a large percentage of Trumpers,Christians... I know a lot of people who voted for trump over Hillary because of this 1 issue. I have heard people who say I could never vote Democratic because they are for legal same sex marriages.
                    And it is our job to continue saying - Why do you care who the love or have sex with, it is not a factor in their leadership capabilities. So we have to change their minds about this and continue having the conversation. Labeling someone an Xist or Xophobe does nothing to further the conversation. The day HRC labeled multiple millions as deplorable was likely the day she lost the election.

I think this is some of the problem people have with you is WE SEE you as someone who has little empathy for way people get treated for race,sexual preference,income short comings... but wants to live by the creed it is all up to ourselves to better our life... All People should not have to put up with some of the crap life throws at them and we should all want to help out making life as good as we can for everyone.
                    First - I understand that you believe I have little empathy. I have stated in these conversations I understand being seen as crass or "uber-pragmatic". None of us get to start in the same spot, and none of us get the same lives (that just the nature of our existence). Fortunately for us, we do live in a country that allows us to work hard, make good decisions and hopefully prosper more and more. The fact that some start further ahead than other proves my "Rule #1".

Second I agree that people should not have to put up with some of the crap life throws at them. The only difference here between me and others here is that I dont place the responsibility of making my life better on the government. Anytime governments have tried to make life fair among its citizenry it has turned out bad for the citizenry. Mao, Stalin, Marx, Khmer Rouge, N. Korea and on and on and on... hundreds of millions of dead stacked up like chord wood to make life fair for its citizens - even down to the point that you were killed because you had glasses....

I dont want the government trying to make things "equal", I want government that allows us to live our own lives and in general leaves us alone to make our own lives as we see fit.
                    Last edited by baldgriff; 02-01-2019, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Well, we don't have to worry about Virginia Governor Ralph Northam entering the race any time soon, lol:

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam confirmed Friday evening his appearance in a picture that features a person in blackface and another wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood in a 1984 medical school yearbook page that also holds different pictures of the future governor.

WTOP obtained a copy of the photo Friday from Eastern Virginia Medical School library, which Northam attended. The photos were first published by the conservative news site Big League Politics.
                      Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s 1984 medical school yearbook page with a racist photo surfaced Friday. The governor has since confirmed his appearance in a picture that features a person in blackface and another in a KKK hood.

Comment

Anytime governments have tried to make life fair among its citizenry it has turned out bad for the citizenry. Mao, Stalin, Marx, Khmer Rouge, N. Korea and on and on and on... hundreds of millions of dead stacked up like chord wood to make life fair for its citizens - even down to the point that you were killed because you had glasses....
                        Lol, yeah Stalin and Mao and North Koreans tried so hard to make life better for there citizens, but they found out it's just not possible for a government to do that ! Try really hard and I'll bet you can think of a few things our government has done in the last 200 years that have improved peoples lives.

trying to provide health care for citizens is just exactly the same as killing people because they wear glasses. Wow
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Lol, yeah Stalin and Mao and North Koreans tried so hard to make life better for there citizens, but they found out it's just not possible for a government to do that ! Try really hard and I'll bet you can think of a few things our government has done in the last 200 years that have improved peoples lives.

trying to provide health care for citizens is just exactly the same as killing people because they wear glasses. Wow
                          I didnt say that the tried to make life BETTER for their citizens - I said they tried to make life FAIR among its citizenry. You appear to equate BETTER with FAIR. They are not necessarily the same.

Our government gave people the right to be DIFFERENT and strive for whatever individual goals they may like to achieve. We also abolished slavery, gave women the vote, there are a vast number of things our founding fathers provided that we have built upon - and not at the expense of 100's of millions of dead people.

Comment

I didnt say that the tried to make life BETTER for their citizens - I said they tried to make life FAIR among its citizenry. You appear to equate BETTER with FAIR. They are not necessarily the same.

Our government gave people the right to be DIFFERENT and strive for whatever individual goals they may like to achieve. We also abolished slavery, gave women the vote, there are a vast number of things our founding fathers provided that we have built upon - and not at the expense of 100's of millions of dead people.
                            ok. If you think that making life fair for all citizens is what those guys were interested in and that it applies to health care in the U.S. or any other issue in our country right now it's probably not worth discussing further. Were they killing people with glasses to make life fair ? Come on dude
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So the evil people killed people with glasses to make people equal, but we abolished slavery and gave women the right to vote in order to give individuals rights ? You don't think abolishing slavery or giving women the right to vote made things fair or equal ?
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

And it is our job to continue saying - Why do you care who the love or have sex with, it is not a factor in their leadership capabilities. So we have to change their minds about this and continue having the conversation. Labeling someone an Xist or Xophobe does nothing to further the conversation. The day HRC labeled multiple millions as deplorable was likely the day she lost the election.

First - I understand that you believe I have little empathy. I have stated in these conversations I understand being seen as crass or "uber-pragmatic". None of us get to start in the same spot, and none of us get the same lives (that just the nature of our existence). Fortunately for us, we do live in a country that allows us to work hard, make good decisions and hopefully prosper more and more. The fact that some start further ahead than other proves my "Rule #1".

Second I agree that people should not have to put up with some of the crap life throws at them. The only difference here between me and others here is that I dont place the responsibility of making my life better on the government. Anytime governments have tried to make life fair among its citizenry it has turned out bad for the citizenry. Mao, Stalin, Marx, Khmer Rouge, N. Korea and on and on and on... hundreds of millions of dead stacked up like chord wood to make life fair for its citizens - even down to the point that you were killed because you had glasses....

I dont want the government trying to make things "equal", I want government that allows us to live our own lives and in general leaves us alone to make our own lives as we see fit.
                                It easy for us to say we don’t want Government trying to make things equal. By us I mean straight white Males. We come out of the Shute with no current biological handicap! But if the Government hadn’t step in we might still have slavery, no right to vote for women and blacks.... and even if they could “take care of themselves”. They still live in fear EVERYDAY because color of skin, sexual preference... because of a mass amount of the population WHO DONT THINK OR WILL EVER THINK THEY ARE EQUAL. THAT is why we and OUR Government must get involved.
                                Last edited by hacko; 02-02-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X