Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nots View Post
    I don’t believe Ford had an 89% rating amongst Republicans and I am sure Carter didn’t have one amongst Democrats. If the % sinks, sure it’s possible, but if it stays where it is, I can’t see it. Plus, America has become much, much more tribal since the 70s. ‘My team is the best and your team sucks’ wasn’t as prevelant back then
    I agree, but I'm just not sure a primary campaign would be a suicide mission. I think it's even possible that more than one GOPer decides to run (Flake, Romney, Kasich, Corker?)

Comment

I don’t disagree with your toddler comment, but I think you have to be careful with the clear majorities stuff.
      Clear majorities were against Obamacare too. We don’t govern based on clear majorities.
      https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...plan-1130.html
      I'm just saying there is no way the Democrats are going to cave on the wall because the majority of Americans don't want it. Trump holding government workers hostage over it is a losing hand.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I agree, but I'm just not sure a primary campaign would be a suicide mission. I think it's even possible that more than one GOPer decides to run (Flake, Romney, Kasich, Corker?)
        I will take the under on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          typically it is maybe halfway through a six-year term, for plausible deniability. I've never see anything thus blatant, other than Hillary - whose Senate gig was gifted to Gillibrand, as fate would have it - still taking six-figure speech deals from Wall Street just days before her official announcement to run for President. but that's not an exact match.
          How about resigning from your House seat to take a job in the private sector just days into your new term?

Rep. Tom Marino, a Pennsylvania Republican, announced Thursday he’ll resign from Congress to pursue a private sector job, after just starting his fifth term in Congress.

Comment

• I have told all my kids - You cant quit one job until you have another one lined up.....
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              How about resigning from your House seat to take a job in the private sector just days into your new term?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/polit...ion/index.html
              Little different than saying you aren’t going to run for President and then running 6 weeks later, no?

Comment

Little different than saying you aren’t going to run for President and then running 6 weeks later, no?
                Yes, selling out for private sector is worse than running for higher office imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Yes, selling out for private sector is worse than running for higher office imo.
                  Interesting take. Lying is preferable to taking a different job. Hadn’t thought of that before.

Comment

Interesting take. Lying is preferable to taking a different job. Hadn’t thought of that before.
                    So, it is not a like of omission to take a private job right after running? You think if someone had asked him if he was going to leave for the private sector immediately after winning, he'd have said, I don't know, maybe? He gets credit, cuz no one asked him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      So, it is not a like of omission to take a private job right after running? You think if someone had asked him if he was going to leave for the private sector immediately after winning, he'd have said, I don't know, maybe? He gets credit, cuz no one asked him?
                      I am not really taking up for the guy because I don’t know him. Maybe he is leaving because of a scandal that hasn’t come down yet. Maybe he’s broke and needs to earn more $, I don’t know. I am sure he declared his candidacy well before 6 weeks ago though. I assume there was a primary and then a run up to the general election. Maybe his situation drastically changed during that time. Maybe it didn’t.
                      I am more perplexed about the free ride some of you folks are giving Gillibrand. Almost every lie Trump says gets called out on here with a WaPo update, 2 article links and then scorn and derision from the masses in here(which is fine). But as soon as a member of the Blue Team is called out by JJ for a pretty obvious lie (really hard to believe that when she was asking Wall St donors for money a couple of weeks ago, she hadn’t decided to run, right?), we get the ‘every politician does it’ excuse and the ‘what aboutism’ of this no name Pa Republican. Like I said in a previous post: this is why Republicans don’t call Trump out. People defend their team at all costs and today has been a really good example of that.
                      So, are we on board with what aboutism or not? Is Gillibrand lying important or not? Just let me know the ground rules and I will follow them.

Comment

I am not really taking up for the guy because I don’t know him. Maybe he is leaving because of a scandal that hasn’t come down yet. Maybe he’s broke and needs to earn more $, I don’t know. I am sure he declared his candidacy well before 6 weeks ago though. I assume there was a primary and then a run up to the general election. Maybe his situation drastically changed during that time. Maybe it didn’t.
                        I am more perplexed about the free ride some of you folks are giving Gillibrand. Almost every lie Trump says gets called out on here with a WaPo update, 2 article links and then scorn and derision from the masses in here(which is fine). But as soon as a member of the Blue Team is called out by JJ for a pretty obvious lie (really hard to believe that when she was asking Wall St donors for money a couple of weeks ago, she hadn’t decided to run, right?), we get the ‘every politician does it’ excuse and the ‘what aboutism’ of this no name Pa Republican. Like I said in a previous post: this is why Republicans don’t call Trump out. People defend their team at all costs and today has been a really good example of that.
                        So, are we on board with what aboutism or not? Is Gillibrand lying important or not? Just let me know the ground rules and I will follow them.
                        I don't see all lies being equal. I think it is a false equivalency to compare lies of substance about real issues to a political lie that has been common practice to tell by politicians. A lie about keeping or taking a better job, to me, is very different than a lie to the people about global warming or colluding with Russia or a crisis at the border or pretending I don't know what Steve King just said or David Duke it.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I was one of her constituents and I voted for her because I believed she would not run. However, I doubt it. Her running will likely not matter, as she is unlikely to win. Politicians are put in a no win situation when asked if they will run for higher office while running for a lesser office. to be clear, did she lie? Yes, I think she knew. I'd prefer politicians didn't make that lie, but it is a common one, and not the same to me as lies about policy or crime or corruption.

If she comes out saying she never heard of David Duke, I'll make sure to attack her here. Or if she claims global warming was invented by the Chinese, I'll be the first to call her out. You really think the lie politicians all tell about not running for president is the same as all of the lies Trump tells? Is it just the same as paying people to rig polls?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Trump fooled the country once, he won't be able to do it again. (Other than his delusional base). He's a weak candidate who is further going to be hurt by his own primary challengers.
                          Where have I heard this before? I'll be right back when I figure that out!
                          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I think I said this issue was not even remotely close to my radar, whether it is from the R side or the D side. I am reasonably certain that nobody believes a politician who says they will serve their whole term if another opportunity comes up. Much like I don't believe an athlete who says they want to spend their whole career with one team...that is, until a better opportunity for money, a title, or both comes around.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                              I think I said this issue was not even remotely close to my radar, whether it is from the R side or the D side. I am reasonably certain that nobody believes a politician who says they will serve their whole term if another opportunity comes up. Much like I don't believe an athlete who says they want to spend their whole career with one team...that is, until a better opportunity for money, a title, or both comes around.
                              That is a great comparison.

Comment

Ya know, if you read the linked article, you'd know that this was a Republican, which is why it's "worse"! If it was a Democrat, well then...
                                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X