No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two quick announcements before this week’s edition of Silver Bulletpoints. First, we’re going to experiment with the format this week and try un-batching the Bu…

Poll aggregate comparison from March 31st and now. Warren has taken about 6 points from Sanders and Mayor Pete and Beto have sort of flipped spots. Not much else major movement.

Comment

• Is the media turning on Joe Biden?

While talk radio audiences may know that Joe Biden and his son were involved in a March 2016 scandal in Urkraine, it was largely ignored by the media. However, the NYT has dragged it out of the archives. Other sources have linked it with the sons cocaine usage. This sort of thing is usually reserved for Republicans.
      As vice president, Joe Biden played a key role in the dismissal of a Ukrainian prosecutor who had opened an investigation of a company employing Mr. Biden’s son.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• While I'm not following anyone's positions on the whole, I do find it impressive that Warren stated that she would ban private prisons & detention facilities. That's pretty bold.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          While I'm not following anyone's positions on the whole, I do find it impressive that Warren stated that she would ban private prisons & detention facilities. That's pretty bold.
          That is one place that private enterprise has no business trying to turn a profit. The incentives are terribly perverse.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            While I'm not following anyone's positions on the whole, I do find it impressive that Warren stated that she would ban private prisons & detention facilities. That's pretty bold.
            Well - I guess that is the only reason at this point I would vote for her - I do agree with that stance.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
              Well - I guess that is the only reason at this point I would vote for her - I do agree with that stance.
              So you're saying there's a chance?!?!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                LOL - I doubt I would vote for Warren. Im just saying that in this one instance she and I actually have an aligned thought. However - she is pretty far left for me. Im curious to see what the other options available will be come election time - and will likely "waste my vote" voting for someone that best aligns with my views.

Ive been lurking from work on occasion, but this is the first "work" day I have been home. Im taking my Series 66 course online class. Will be taking multiple sets of practice exams to prepare before actual test day.
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  LOL - I doubt I would vote for Warren. Im just saying that in this one instance she and I actually have an aligned thought. However - she is pretty far left for me. Im curious to see what the other options available will be come election time - and will likely "waste my vote" voting for someone that best aligns with my views.

Ive been lurking from work on occasion, but this is the first "work" day I have been home. Im taking my Series 66 course online class. Will be taking multiple sets of practice exams to prepare before actual test day.
                  Good luck!
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    To get a Democrat in the White House, probably not.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Joe Biden's courtship of James Eastland has been revealed through a series of letters between the two. Turns out they worked together on Biden's racist anti-busing legislation. Published the same day that Morning Joe and The View, and all of those shallow news hosts defended Biden and said others should apologize for questioning uncle Joe.

Hey, In The Corn! Do Joe Biden's views on segregation resonate with you like his views on abortion? DMT? Am I being unfair and taking things out of context again with my irrational hatred based on my love of Bernie?

https://nypost.com/2019/06/21/joe-bi...ator-revealed/

Joe Biden’s history of dubious stances on racially charged issues came back to haunt him again Friday with the disclosure of old letters he wrote to a racist Southern senator thanking him for helping him to fight forced school busing.

“I want you to know that I very much appreciate your help during this week’s Committee meeting in attempting to bring my anti-busing legislation to a vote,” Biden wrote on June 30, 1977, to Sen. James Eastland, the Washington Post reported.

Eastland was a plantation owner who believed blacks were an inferior race, and forcefully fought desegregation throughout his career as a Democratic lawmaker from Mississippi.

[...]

Biden on Wednesday night described his relationship with Eastland as one he “had to put up with.”

But according to the DC paper’s account, the letters show a relationship in which they were both on board the fight against school integration through busing.

Biden’s campaign late Thursday said that “the insinuation that Joe Biden shared the same views as Eastland on segregation is a lie.”

“Plain and simple. Joe Biden has dedicated his career to fighting for civil rights,” the statement said.

But the letters show that Biden’s friendship with Eastland began in 1972, before he had taken office, and that he wrote to him listing his top six committee assignment requests, with Foreign Relations and Judiciary at the top.

Later, Biden wrote to thank Eastland, saying he was “flattered and grateful” for his help.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Most bizarre part of the whole thing is Biden is essentially saying, ‘ look at how I can work with other Democrats on legislation ‘. Isn’t that sort of a given? Did he forget Eastland was a Democrat? Bizarre way to accentuate your moderate bonafides.

Comment

• Here's the thing about Biden.

he's a perfectly fine candidate with normal flaws that aren't game changers--he's electable.

But that's it.

If Bernie and others on the left get a fair shot at the nomination with no interference from the DNC or anyone/anything else, progressives will vote for him. If there's even a suggestion, a hint, a crumb that the fix is in or, slides being greased or any of that, Biden or any "chosen" centrist will have a hard time gaining anything over what HRC had in 2016. Trump is hated on the far left, but just as reviled is the system which denies true choice and their voice in the process.

Biden might attract someone borderline independents, republicans and libertarians, and that may offset the loss of the progressives but it's really not up to him--it's up to the powers that be and how they behave during the next year or so.

I'm still a Bernie guy, but like I've said right now my 4 horsemen are Sanders, Warren, Gabbard and Mayor Pete with a little love for Yang. I hope they get an actual shot at the nomination free from Russian (I mean DNC) interference.

Let's hope they chose this path, It'll be interesting the path trump takes as I believe his strategy is wholly dependent on who gets the nod from the Left.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                            Joe Biden's courtship of James Eastland has been revealed through a series of letters between the two. Turns out they worked together on Biden's racist anti-busing legislation. Published the same day that Morning Joe and The View, and all of those shallow news hosts defended Biden and said others should apologize for questioning uncle Joe.

Hey, In The Corn! Do Joe Biden's views on segregation resonate with you like his views on abortion? DMT? Am I being unfair and taking things out of context again with my irrational hatred based on my love of Bernie?

https://nypost.com/2019/06/21/joe-bi...ator-revealed/
                            John Lewis, who's done more for Civil Rights in this country than all but a few, isn't offended, but I should be because you are? Again, Biden is not my preferred candidate, but yes acting like letters written 42 years ago to a fellow Senator is somehow a deal-breaker again reveals your irrationality when it comes to Biden.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I think what this episode underscores is my aversion to age 70+ candidates of any party.

the world has changed so much, and there are important new issues, and I don't think electing old-timers is the best idea.

for millennials and now Gen Y or Z or whatever they are, forced busing and segregation - and even Democratic politicians being the most racist - suggests an era that seems like 100 years ago.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                I think what this episode underscores is my aversion to age 70+ candidates of any party.

the world has changed so much, and there are important new issues, and I don't think electing old-timers is the best idea.

for millennials and now Gen Y or Z or whatever they are, forced busing and segregation - and even Democratic politicians being the most racist - suggests an era that seems like 100 years ago.
                                But that's ageism. Lumping Sanders and Warren in with Biden simply because of their age is absurd IMO.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X