No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wondering who Marianne Williamson was, never heard of her before. Some of this debate reminds me too much of a day at work.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
      He isn't having a good night but I don't think Bernie is either. This is Harris way ahead and at least for me Pete a clear 2nd.
      I agree, Biden and Bernie are both having awful performances. Very disappointed with 1 of Bernie's answers not mentioning minorities. I think Bernie's biggest issue is his general dismissiveness of mainstream media. He's legitimately sick of their BS, but I think it shows, and I don't think it's a good look on him. He needs to regroup, but I guess he's lucky to have a strong base, it just won't grow from this performance. Too many voices talking gibberish to stand out. Edit to add: he just had a killer answer on foreign policy. His specific anti-interventionist 3 point plan got a big applause.

I cannot wait to see the SNL impersonations of Marianne Williamson. She seems super out of it. First thing you would do as president: I'd call the leader of New Zealand and tell her, 'you got it girl'... was it something like this?

Harris has mostly been crushing it, other than her greatest threat is Russia answer. I'm just so happy that Biden's anti-busing legislative history was used as a giant cudgel to crush him. Harris used it brilliantly.

Mayor Pete is gonna score points for the Jesus shoutout. But he hasn't said much of substance, has he?
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I only watched 15 minutes, but it was painful. And not very enlightening. Now get off my lawn!
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Harris was really good and as important to me I can see her taking on Trump and not backing down. Warren is someone I like but I worry her debate style will get run over, Harris isn't going to get run over by anyone in a debate.

Biden tried to lay low for a while and basically say you guys liked Obama right? He took some punches and then we all remembered that Joe Biden isn't really a good debater.

Bernie isn't the underdog this time. Last time he got to stand next to Hillary and be the outsider. Now he is one of the front runners and he is being attacked on some positions and by other candidates. He just comes across unhappy almost about debating. He needs a new style next time.

Pete I thought did well with his time, but I agree if we are going to take him seriously for the top spot he is going to need to get specific on policy now. He did however handle the stage well and show he could be up there with the big boys and not look out of place.

Do I have to talk about the rest? Gillibrand is DOA as a presidential candidate. Bennett has no chance. Really do I have to keep going? Hickenlooper did nothing to stand out. Really do I have to keep going? Swallwell was not likable. Yang didn't do anything. Williamson is nuts.

I think Biden's number was soft and he bleeds most. Jesse is right Bernie's main supporters are hard in for Bernie so my guess is he only bleeds some. Harris gets the biggest boost, double digits or low teens?. Warren gets a bit of boost, mid teens?. Pete gets a boost 8-11?. Booker gets up to like 5? Castro gets up to like 3?

Comment

• I'll say Bernie's last 2 speaking moments were strong, but they were making up for a poor early performance. Might gain a few of Biden's massive exodus, but more will go to Harris.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I am extremely impressed with Kamala Harris. Her post-game interview may have been even better than her debate. As much as I’ve been pimping Biden, I can foresee Harris as the winner — both for the Dem primaries and the overall winner.

Comment

• non-entity candidate Seth Moulton finally getting noticed - for getting ridiculed on Twitter.

he objected to the SCOTUS ruling today on gerrymandering - and blamed it for Stacey Abrams losing a close Governor's race in Georgia last year.

best tweet I saw on it was, "wow, they gerrymandered part of Alabama into Georgia? how did we not know this?"
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  I am extremely impressed with Kamala Harris. Her post-game interview may have been even better than her debate. As much as I’ve been pimping Biden, I can foresee Harris as the winner — both for the Dem primaries and the overall winner.
                  Were there any particular policies that were impressive or notable. Or just her debating skills and demeanor ? Why should i vote for her ?
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Debate makes Biden lose supporters?
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• typically I would say Biden remains nearly unscarred in the polling. but this is a new social media era (again), so hard to say.

Biden can't really go after Harris on her record as a prosecutor (not popular among progressives), but other snipers on-stage will next time around. as they say, everybody gets a turn in the barrel.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        Debate makes Biden lose supporters?
                        I think in this case with this candidate it moves his polling numbers. I think he has a lot of soft support. Sure he has some firm supporters like anyone but I heard this compared a bit to Hillary 2008. People supported her because they didn't think anyone else could win so they supported her. I just think people needed to see some credible candidates and he will lose some points in the polls we have been seeing.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          John Lewis, who's done more for Civil Rights in this country than all but a few, isn't offended, but I should be because you are? Again, Biden is not my preferred candidate, but yes acting like letters written 42 years ago to a fellow Senator is somehow a deal-breaker again reveals your irrationality when it comes to Biden.
                          Seems like my prediction that these are critical flaws for Biden is proving to be true, and not simply irrational hatred? Hmm, that's weird...

Biden's so awful, even a nobody like Michael Bennett landed a haymaker on him for making a deal with Mitch McConnell against his own party to extend the Bush tax cuts permanently, and he tried to take credit for it on stage! When Bennett is getting serious shots in on you, which aren't even being mentioned because they're overshadowed by your racist history?... game over, man. Game over. 11 more debates. Joe Biden won't even make it to the end January at this rate. Did anybody catch Biden's self-own, at the end of a response, Biden adds "my time is up". The most truthful statement he made all night.

Steve should be voting for me. I'm crystal balling this shit.

Biden was an easy target. When the field is narrowed, Harris might have a tougher time vs. Bernie. Saying Russia is the greatest threat is a bad sign.

Mayor Pete is getting praised, but even Swalwell took a shot at him for not firing his current police chief, and he had nothing but a death glare in response. I think Pete actually stagnates or drops slightly... maybe a few of the Biden exodus shift to Buttigieg for a little while, but he offers what Joe Biden claims to offer: Obama 2.0. Actually, I change my mind, the Jesus shout out will definitely help him temporarily, as he's the only kid in class rocking the WWJD t-shirt. That will play for some of the voters. But mainstream media acting like he had a good performance seems misguided. His only attribute is being a mayor, and he said "I failed" on his only supposed advantage. He might look very sincere in admitting his failings, but does that look Presidential? Not really. I mean, I would like a return to accountability in the White House, but your ability to sincerely apologize for the shitty job you did as Mayor, when you're running on your record as Mayor... not a good look.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            typically I would say Biden remains nearly unscarred in the polling. but this is a new social media era (again), so hard to say.

Biden can't really go after Harris on her record as a prosecutor (not popular among progressives), but other snipers on-stage will next time around. as they say, everybody gets a turn in the barrel.
                            Biden is going to keep getting brutalized from all sides. Once Klobuchar, Delaney, Hickenlooper, are all gone, very soon, he will have no friends on stage. I'm kind of glad Harris took the shot on Biden instead of Sanders, as Sanders would be vilified if he made the same statements about Biden's segregationist history. So Bernie is playing it smart, letting them all take each other out, biding his time until things get serious. It's a tightrope for him, not sure he can thread the needle. Will need better messaging than he gave for the first 90 minutes last night. These are just warmups, but he can't afford to have his numbers stagnate, and a narrative build that his campaign is out of momentum.

But you really think everybody gets their time in the barrel and this isn't the start of Biden's complete destruction?

Comment

• Biden was alarmingly bad in that debate. It doesn't end his candidacy, but it should certainly end any aura of inevitability or "safeness" about him. Harris and Buttigieg won the debate in my mind, without question. They are both made for this. Like Booker's play for black and brown support on Wednesday night, Gillibrand's play for female support last night was perhaps a little to blatant, but was probably the right strategy/only shot. I'd award her third place over all. The two Coloradans seem like reasonable fellows, but they don't have the charisma for national leadership. Swallwell was annoying for me. Yang did nothing to make me consider him. And Williamson was, um, entertaining in a bizarre sort of way.

Bernie for me just reinforced why I'd rather elect Liz Warren to lead/execute the battles that he deserves credit for prioritizing.

So coming out of Round 1, my list is:

1. Elizabeth Warren
                              2. Kamala Harris
                              3. Pete Buttigieg
                              4. Cory Booker
                              5. Julian Castro
                              6. Kirstin Gillibrand
                              7. Bernie Sanders
                              8. Amy Klobuchar
                              ----
                              Then in any order, Inslee, Ryan, Bennett, Hickenlooper, Gabbard

Then Biden. He's just not doing it for me. (Same for that matter with O'Rourke.) That said, if he wins the nomination he'll have my full-throated support.
                              Last edited by B-Fly; 06-28-2019, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                Biden was alarmingly bad in that debate. It doesn't end his candidacy, but it should certainly end any aura of inevitability or "safeness" about him. Harris and Buttigieg won the debate in my mind, without question. They are both made for this. Like Booker's play for black and brown support on Wednesday night, Gillibrand's play for female support last night was perhaps a little to blatant, but was probably the right strategy/only shot. I'd award her third place over all. The two Coloradans seem like reasonable fellows, but they don't have the charisma for national leadership. Swallwell was annoying for me. Yang did nothing to make me consider him. And Williamson was, um, entertaining in a bizarre sort of way.

Bernie for me just reinforced why I'd rather elect Liz Warren to lead/execute the battles that he deserves credit for prioritizing.

So coming out of Round 1, my list is:

1. Elizabeth Warren
                                2. Kamala Harris
                                3. Pete Buttigieg
                                4. Cory Booker
                                5. Julian Castro
                                6. Kirstin Gillibrand
                                7. Bernie Sanders
                                8. Amy Klobuchar
                                ----
                                Then in any order, Inslee, Ryan, Bennett, Hickenlooper, Gabbard

Then Biden. He's just not doing it for me. (Same for that matter with O'Rourke.) That said, if he wins the nomination he'll have my full-throated support.
                                I’m tempted to put Harris 1 for me but I want to see her on stage with Warren. I really just think Harris will be an excellent debater vs Trump. She has natural political talent, but yes top 3 for me are some order of Harris Warren and Pete.

Comment

Working...
                                X