Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    My point being not that she is the reason Clinton lost, but her ridiculous decision to not vote for Clinton--even after Sanders told his supporters to do so--means I no longer care to hear about her views on politics.
    I think that's absolutely fair, and I would agree with you that left wingers who didn't vote Hillary in the general can mostly get fucked. But it's a myth to say that Bernie supporters abandoned Clinton any more than other constituencies in other election cycles, and it's part of the smear on Bernie that his supporters are all loony lefties without an ounce of pragmatism. I want to state clearly that if I were American, I would have held my nose for HRC.

GITH was treated like garbage around here, but he made a lot of valid points about Clinton's vulnerability that were ignored at the time, and he was right. HRC lost to the dumbest, most hateful and disgusting person imaginable. GITH called it, and he still gets ignored. I think his passion is admirable, and although I disagree with him on strategy, I think he deserves more respect than he's given. I take 2016 as a lesson to never forget the vacant "I'm With Her" campaign, to never abandon policy in favour of pageantry, and to never again be snookered into DNC strongarming of their candidate of choice. My strong rhetoric reflects the bitter taste in my mouth from '16, and avoidance of past mistakes.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I hope Democrats avoid past mistakes too. There were so many, including not realizing Trump as a legitimate and existential threat that should not be taken lightly. HRC made so many strategic blunders in the general. I'd hope whoever wins this primary learns from those mistakes. Sanders going into the lion's den early on Fox was a good move imo. I do like that he seems willing to spread his ideas any and everywhere to try to win all votes he can. HRC took some votes for granted while writing off others as unnecessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I hope Democrats avoid past mistakes too. There were so many, including not realizing Trump as a legitimate and existential threat that should not be taken lightly. HRC made so many strategic blunders in the general. I'd hope whoever wins this primary learns from those mistakes. Sanders going into the lion's den early on Fox was a good move imo. I do like that he seems willing to spread his ideas any and everywhere to try to win all votes he can. HRC took some votes for granted while writing off others as unnecessary.
        Bernie exhibits some real crossover appeal, and will not make the same mistakes HRC did by ignoring or insulting various voting groups as she did.

Anybody remember, I think it was early September 2016, when Sanders was supposed to debate Trump, just for funsies? Trump had agreed, but after about a week he canceled (smartly, had nothing to gain). I really think Bernie will thoroughly embarrass Trump by making him look incompetant as opposed to the '16 strategy to make him look immoral. The Fox News Town Hall was an appetizer.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I hope Democrats avoid past mistakes too. There were so many, including not realizing Trump as a legitimate and existential threat that should not be taken lightly. HRC made so many strategic blunders in the general. I'd hope whoever wins this primary learns from those mistakes. Sanders going into the lion's den early on Fox was a good move imo. I do like that he seems willing to spread his ideas any and everywhere to try to win all votes he can. HRC took some votes for granted while writing off others as unnecessary.
          I thought it was a great move by Sanders to go on Fox and he did a very job selling his views to what I would guess was an ambivalent (at best) audience, and I thought Fox did a fair job in moderating. IMO, it makes the DNC seem childish and short sighted not to allow Fox to broadcast their debates. It only helps reach more potential voters if the debates can be seen by more viewers, even if only a small amount are willing to change their views. Although, I guess that kind of ‘shoot yourself in the foot’ leadership is to be expected from the DNC.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            I didn’t say Weld would be a significant challenge. But if he opens the doors for Kasich and/or Flake, wouldn’t you say that’s a significant challenge?
            Not no. HELL NO!!!

Seriously, they don't. Flake is a lightweight and Trump already crushed Kasich once. If Trump decides to run, which it appears he has, there will be only token resistance. The General will be closer but not close.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• I respect this tweet - and then Ronan Farrow joined in with a "mea culpa"

Maggie Haberman
              ‏Verified account @maggieNYT

Maggie Haberman Retweeted Manu Raju

Additional context - Romney described Russia as the greatest US geopolitical foe in his 2012 presidential campaign, and was broadly mocked. I was among reporters who should have given it more weight.

then there is this from Politico:

"Later that year [2012], after Mitt Romney suggested Russia was America’s “No. 1 geopolitical foe,” Obama ridiculed his Republican challenger. “The 1980s are now calling and they want their foreign policy back,” Obama retorted.

[sure, North Korea and China can still be picked, of course, but that was a very stupid comment - especially considering all the spying and other shenanigans the Russians did right under Obama's nose.]
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Obama was the worst foreign policy President since WW II. Who cares what he thinks.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• "’s approval rating dropped 3 percentage points following the release of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report, marking the lowest level of 2019, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released Friday.

About 37 percent of adults surveyed said they approved of Trump’s performance in office, down from 40 percent in a similar poll conducted on April 15, before the Mueller report's release.

According to Reuters, the figure was down from 43 percent in a poll conducted shortly after Attorney General William Barr delivered his summary of Mueller's report to Congress last month.

The survey found that Americans remain divided over whether they think Trump should be impeached. Forty percent if those polled said Trump should be ousted, while 42 percent said the House should not begin impeachment proceedings."

[note that Trump would NOT be ousted by impeachment; only a Republican-run Senate could "oust" him]

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    Obama was the worst foreign policy President since WW II. Who cares what he thinks.

J
                    And as JJ just pointed out, a whopping 63% of Americans feel the same about the current idiot who’s the short-term occupant. That’s saying a lot considering there’s low employment and a good economy.

Comment

• Looks like popular GOP governor Larry Hogan is *seriously* considering a GOP primary run. This is probably the best news a moderate Republican— and the Dems— can hope for.

Would that be a serious challenge, Trumpies?

Comment

Looks like popular GOP governor Larry Hogan is *seriously* considering a GOP primary run. This is probably the best news a moderate Republican— and the Dems— can hope for.

Would that be a serious challenge, Trumpies?
                        GOP would only oust Trump in favor of Terry Hogan. #Hulkamania2020

Comment

• Buttigieg takes his cue from MSM and compares Bernie to Trump... oh, but no circular firing squads, right guys? Whatever. Let the gloves come off, Buttigieg is too conservative to win, despite the non-stop TMZ style media fawning. Buttigieg will continue to be propped up, doubtful the DNC puts him on the same stage as Bernie until the debates narrow to 1 night.

"I think the sense of anger and disaffection that comes from seeing that the numbers are fine, like unemployment’s low, like all that, like you said GDP is growing and yet a lot of neighborhoods and families are living like this recovery never even happened. They’re stuck,” Buttigieg told high school students in in Nashua, N.H.

“It just kind of turns you against the system in general and then you’re more likely to want to vote to blow up the system, which could lead you to somebody like Bernie and it could lead you to somebody like Trump. That’s how we got where we are.”
                          The same week that we saw the result of the Trump tax cut (a 1 penny raise for workers), he defends the Trump economy! Pathetic candidate to put up v. Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                            GOP would only oust Trump in favor of Terry Hogan. #Hulkamania2020
                            They don't have to oust Trump. History has proven that a serious challenge to an incumbent severely damages their re-election chances.

Comment

• "History has proven that a serious challenge to an incumbent severely damages their re-election chances."

is this the same history that proved that Trump can't get elected? yes, yes it is.

Trump is what lawyers call "sui generis"

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

They don't have to oust Trump. History has proven that a serious challenge to an incumbent severely damages their re-election chances.
                                I don't think any of the challengers are going to present a serious challenge to Trump. I would be deeply surprised if the collective delegate total of the challengers approaches anywhere near 100. And as JJ says, I'm not sure how much the historical record applies here, anyway.

What I do think might be relevant is that multiple primary challengers are an indicator that people in the party think Trump may be weak in the general election.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X