Page 78 of 88 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2020

Beto O’Rourke finally enters the race. Now we’re just waiting on the front-runner!

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Beto O’Rourke finally enters the race. Now we’re just waiting on the front-runner!
    Also waiting on Stacey Abrams, who said that a 2020 run is definitely on the table for her. Anecdotally from my friends, she is far more popular with less equivocation among Black voters than the other Black/mixed candidates in the race so far, Harris and Booker. If she runs, I suspect it would immediately change the nature of the primaries, given the overwhelming power of Black voters in the Democratic primary process, particularly in the southern states.

I am wondering how much president* Trump's lack of experience has encouraged people without a long standing political career to run. And then how much of his failure/flaws would translate similarly to other inexperienced president (or is is just him?)
    or did di really start with Obama? - 7 years state senator - 1/2 senate term - president

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... you'll never get fooled again.

The age of the horoscope President (project your own values onto them), is over. Obama/Hillary are the exact reason you have Trump. Voters won't allow another neo-liberal to win the primary, only to nosedive and crash and burn.
    I heard someone on MSNBC make a similar point in regards to Beto, although their takeaway was that the horoscope candidate is still a viable lane in 2019. "While he's taken some criticism for not really standing for much just yet, that idea of being a blank canvasse that voters can fill in, that worked for Barack Obama in 2007." Wow, what a dumbass. Also, how much disdain for the intellect of voters does it show to suggest standing for nothing is a positive attribute?

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    I heard someone on MSNBC make a similar point in regards to Beto, although their takeaway was that the horoscope candidate is still a viable lane in 2019. "While he's taken some criticism for not really standing for much just yet, that idea of being a blank canvasse that voters can fill in, that worked for Barack Obama in 2007." Wow, what a dumbass. Also, how much disdain for the intellect of voters does it show to suggest standing for nothing is a positive attribute?
    While he does not yet have a signature issue that would help define his candidacy and help him stand out in a crowded field, it's not like he hasn't articulated positions on important issues. Here is an article that outlines some of those positions: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/u...he-issues.html

The short of it is that he is for the Dream Act and a path to citizenship, he is against the wall, he is for stricter gun controls, he supports universal healthcare, he is for criminal justice reform, and he is against Trump's tarriffs.

He seems pretty progressive on most issues. He does need to find his voice and get more specific, but why the hate from the progressive side? He seems closer to that side than the centrist side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    While he does not yet have a signature issue that would help define his candidacy and help him stand out in a crowded field, it's not like he hasn't articulated positions on important issues. Here is an article that outlines some of those positions: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/u...he-issues.html

The short of it is that he is for the Dream Act and a path to citizenship, he is against the wall, he is for stricter gun controls, he supports universal healthcare, he is for criminal justice reform, and he is against Trump's tarriffs.

He seems pretty progressive on most issues. He does need to find his voice and get more specific, but why the hate from the progressive side? He seems closer to that side than the centrist side.
    I don't have an opinion of Beto yet. I do read lots of people who do. This one highlights some reasons progressives might not like him

https://twitter.com/SilERabbit/statu...3-14-2019.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I don't have an opinion of Beto yet. I do read lots of people who do. This one highlights some reasons progressives might not like him

https://twitter.com/SilERabbit/statu...3-14-2019.html
    Should he get a pass for any questionable votes because of where he got elected, Texas? Are there examples of folks with a more progressive voting record from staunchly red areas? I am sincerely asking on both counts, as I don't know.

Should he get a pass for any questionable votes because of where he got elected, Texas? Are there examples of folks with a more progressive voting record from staunchly red areas? I am sincerely asking on both counts, as I don't know.
    I certainly don't know the answer to the second question. Regarding getting a pass because he is from Texas - that's a hard one. I tend to hate those kind of arguments because I think they can easily be used to excuse/rationalize a lot. However, if you are running for Senate in Texas you need to consider the people voting.

I read part of his Vanity Fair article. Seems like a nice guy, I guess. But why would anyone vote for him to be our president ? Someone convince me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I read part of his Vanity Fair article. Seems like a nice guy, I guess. But why would anyone vote for him to be our president ? Someone convince me.
    I think it's way too early for me to try to convince anyone to choose one candidate from the field of announced candidates, let alone for me to allow anyone to convince me to settle on one candidate. I'm planning on waiting until at least the first round of debates. There's not a single announced candidate that I've ruled out or would rule out at this point.