Page 47 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2020

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    She's really no better than that woman who faked being black to work for the NAACP. This will be an incredible distraction and IMO this should hopefully terminate her chances of being nominated. Dems can't have her vs. Trump, it would be disastrous.
    She really epitomizes George Costanza’s ‘it’s not really a lie if you believe it’ line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    This seems like a wish fulfillment fantasy for someone who thinks a far left dem and trump could lead to a 3rd party candidate having a chance in hell. Because we all know all Dem voters simply vote however Michael Moore and whatever others make up the "they" in your statement tells them to.
    "They" are the Democratic Party.....

Lets look the list of “front-runners” in the Dem Party
    Warren
    Sanders
    Harris
    Biden
    Booker
    O’Rourke

Now you tell me what percentage of that group are “moderate” Democrats? Biden, yep. Certainly not Warren, Sanders or O’Rourke. Harris and Booker – may be somewhere in between the Far Left and Centrist Left.

However, other than Biden, the party frontrunners all appear to be further left than “centrist left” Biden is on the list, sure but he just doesn’t check off enough of the diversity boxes that many on the left want.. Sure he would be a nice VP (again… which isn’t going to happen).

I understand this group here is a small sampling size - but we have had some 3 or 4 people here making reference to their frunstrations about BOTH parties and that they dont find either appealing. So its not about leaving the Dems - its about leaving BOTH sides. And who on the Reps side is really going to take on Trump? If they are, the coup better start soon.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I actually agree with your first claim that Dems have a history of pulling down frontrunners, although HRC is recent evidence that isn't always the case. If your second claim is that a far left candidate will definitely emerge, then I don't think that is certain at all. Also, Biden could delay announcing longer, which I think would help his chances.
    Think 2008. It is no secret they stacked the deck in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    "I think there's no way in hell Biden DOESN'T get the nod."

two years after Donald Trump is elected President, and.......
    wtf

and I'm not even counting Biden dying, ill, terrorist event or anything like that.

so a healthy Biden, no world event. still, the guy is a walking malaprop, with a ton of weaponalizable TV footage against him already out there - fair or not - and he will have new ones up on a tee next year.

Biden has an impressive resume, but he also is dragging a TON of very very problematic skeletons around from his past.
    Exactly. Plus, he's well over four years older than Trump.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

to be clear - there is a huge difference between one saying Biden would beat Trump, vs Biden will win the D nomination
    just kicked off my 36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    have stumbled out of the gate
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Roark 8, PLopez 1
    RP Jeffress 1, AMiller 14, Dominguez 10, Neshek
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B Descalso, 13 Belt 10, 2B EGonzalez 2, SS BCrawford 9, 2S ABarnes 8
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, KMarte 10, Dyson 8, NWilliams 2, UT Daza
    DL: SP Cueto 1, 3B TFrazier 2, OF Dickerson 17

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    She's really no better than that woman who faked being black to work for the NAACP. This will be an incredible distraction and IMO this should hopefully terminate her chances of being nominated. Dems can't have her vs. Trump, it would be disastrous.
    I agree. Fortunately, I don't think she has what it takes to get the nomination anyway.

If you think Biden can't win the nomination then you don't understand the Democratic party.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    If you think Biden can't win the nomination then you don't understand the Democratic party.
    I think he can win that - but he'll need some breaks to go his way. the increasingly diverse and younger progressives see an old white dude. then when they hear about his tone-deaf language over the years (I assume no one cares about plagiarism anymore) and recent apology for voting for the 1990s "crack bill" that sent away countless young minority men for many years in prison - well, he'll quickly lose some of the young base for good.

btw I thought one of his supposedly biggest gaffes - at a campaign rally, he asked for the candidate to stand up and be recognized, which was awkward since the guy gets around in a wheelchair - actually was a net plus. his ad lib was truly stellar. #lemonadeoutoflemons
    just kicked off my 36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    have stumbled out of the gate
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Roark 8, PLopez 1
    RP Jeffress 1, AMiller 14, Dominguez 10, Neshek
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B Descalso, 13 Belt 10, 2B EGonzalez 2, SS BCrawford 9, 2S ABarnes 8
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, KMarte 10, Dyson 8, NWilliams 2, UT Daza
    DL: SP Cueto 1, 3B TFrazier 2, OF Dickerson 17

He's already got some breaks going his way, in that several of the announced candidates are running in the "progressive lane", such that he might get the "establishment lane" largely to himself. Trump rose to the nomination largely by virtue of having his own lane in a crowded field that was otherwise splitting the GOP primary vote. By the time it narrowed to Trump, Kasich and Cruz, Trump had already established a solid lead that was hard for the other two to surmount. Biden would potentially have a tougher time if someone else with strong establishment/centrist appeal (Klobuchar? Hickenlooper? Bullock?) entered the race and got some traction. If he's running against, say, five or six active Senators who have spent the last two years trying to tack left with an eye on the Democratic primaries, he has a pretty solid advantage in terms of them splitting the vote and him getting his lane to himself.

Although it's worth noting that a lot of Democratic Progressives have already been questioning the progressive bona fides of announced or prospective candidates including Harris, Booker, Gabbard, O'Rourke and even Gillibrand (with her near perfect anti-Trump voting record).

I'm very curious to see if Sherrod Brown enters the race.

Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
    "They" are the Democratic Party.....

Lets look the list of “front-runners” in the Dem Party
    Warren
    Sanders
    Harris
    Biden
    Booker
    O’Rourke

Now you tell me what percentage of that group are “moderate” Democrats? Biden, yep. Certainly not Warren, Sanders or O’Rourke. Harris and Booker – may be somewhere in between the Far Left and Centrist Left.

However, other than Biden, the party frontrunners all appear to be further left than “centrist left”
    Wait, Beto's not a centrist? I don't know what else you would call him. As one piece of evidence, I submit that he got 48.3% of the vote in the Senate race in Texas, hardly a liberal bastion.
    (For reference, the previous four Democratic Senate candidates in Texas received 41%, 34%, 43%, and 36% of the vote.)

Which of the things here make you think he's liberal?
    https://betofortexas.com/issues/

I honestly am worried that he's too centrist/conservative to get the Democratic nomination, so I find it a little stunning that you think he's a far left liberal.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005