Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Yep, calling Warren a "phony soothsayer" despite her record of actually getting shit done in Congress isn't "preconceived favoritism". It's just astute political analysis.

I'm thrilled to see Bernie doing well but that doesn't make you (and a much too large percentage of his supporters) any less of an asshole.
    Yeah, you've always shown such a willingness to engage in the issues rather than personal attacks and impotent dismissiveness.

If you want to argue about politics, that's fine. You make it personal immediately and without cause, showing yourself to be a reactionary hack. You contribute nothing of value. Now, am I being an asshole for saying this, or am I accurately stating your presence here? I think I'm pretty fucking on point. At the end of the day, I may very well be an asshole. But I'm trying to be less of one publicly. You might want to do the same, but you're free to do you.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Here are just some things Warren has accomplished. There are more, but these are just three things highlighted from one source with a quick search, and they are a good start of examples for why she is qualified. When you tally up her life as a politician, TW, do these count for nothing?

1. She proposed and established the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau under Obama, helping protect people from predatory lenders and credit card companies. To preempt you, it has not been a perfect Bureau (none are), but it has done a lot of good.

2. She ran a successful campaign for her current Senate seat, where she became a highly respected progressive voice consistently championing things progressives care about (that is, until she decided too run against Bernie).

3. In only her first three years, she has sponsored over three dozen bills, including the Equal Employment Act for All, the Schedules That Work Act, the Trade Transparency Act, and the Fed Accountability Act.

Again, she was well-respected and well liked by those in the progressive wing, but now she is a complete garbage candidate with not real beliefs, really? It just so happens that she has a consistent record of fighting for legislation that champions and advocates for women’s rights, paid family leave, low-wage workers, fair trade, and affordable education? All of this is just BS? You really do not think she cares about these things, or health care, or the environment? You really think she wouldn't be better on all of these issues than Donald Trump?
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-23-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• I will also add that she is extremely smart and knowledgeable about the issues, and that counts for something, because it means she can think through these problems and understand and navigate how best to address them in practical, meaningful ways.

Does all this mean I agree with her campaign strategy against Bernie? No. I don't even approve of her making a joke about Bloomberg's height, not because I care about his feelings, but because it is beneath her--just like him, literally (I can make a juvenile joke, because I'm not running for the highest office in the land; she should not; we need to return some dignity to the office).

But she has a lot of good on her resume. She not only fights for the right things, she knows how to get them done.

Comment

• But all of this is probably moot, because she is very unlikely to win at this point. Bernie seems to have the inside track, so I'm going to stop spending my time defending the rest of the field. It likely won't matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Here are just some things Warren has accomplished. There are more, but these are just three things highlighted from one source with a quick search, and they are a good start of examples for why she is qualified. When you tally up her life as a politician, TW, do these count for nothing?

1. She proposed and established the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau under Obama, helping protect people from predatory lenders and credit card companies. To preempt you, it has not been a perfect Bureau (none are), but it has done a lot of good.

2. She ran a successful campaign for her current Senate seat, where she became a highly respected progressive voice consistently championing things progressives care about (that is, until she decided too run against Bernie).

3. In only her first three years, she has sponsored over three dozen bills, including the Equal Employment Act for All, the Schedules That Work Act, the Trade Transparency Act, and the Fed Accountability Act.

Again, she was well-respected and well liked by those in the progressive wing, but now she is a complete garbage candidate with not real beliefs, really? It just so happens that she has a consistent record of fighting for legislation that champions and advocates for women’s rights, paid family leave, low-wage workers, fair trade, and affordable education? All of this is just BS? You really do not think she cares about these things, or health care, or the environment? You really think she wouldn't be better on all of these issues than Donald Trump?
            Has Elizabeth Warren pursued social democratic policies in the past, worthy of credit from any Bernie supporter? Absolutely.

But being genuine, not pandering, holding consistent beliefs. These are qualities which affect how much of your stated agenda you will be able to pass. Her campaign missteps are too numerous to go into. But her foreign policy record and rhetoric look BAD, her performative wokeness antics have been BAD, her policies such as criminalizing disinformation on the internet , or her asinine 2-step M4A plan have been disastrous on their face. Most folks here think I'm just expressing my bias when I point out these flaws, but they won't even step up to defend them.

Do I think Warren is dogshit? No. Equal to Trump? Hell no. Do I think she would be perfectly fine working in her niche field of interest in a Sanders administration, something in the financial end? Sure, I mean, I would hope for someone with more guts, but she's acceptable.

Am I out of line in my assessment?
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              Has Elizabeth Warren pursued social democratic policies in the past, worthy of credit from any Bernie supporter? Absolutely.

But being genuine, not pandering, holding consistent beliefs. These are qualities which affect how much of your stated agenda you will be able to pass. Her campaign missteps are too numerous to go into. But her foreign policy record and rhetoric look BAD, her performative wokeness antics have been BAD, her policies such as criminalizing disinformation on the internet , or her asinine 2-step M4A plan have been disastrous on their face. Most folks here think I'm just expressing my bias when I point out these flaws, but they won't even step up to defend them.

Do I think Warren is dogshit? No. Equal to Trump? Hell no. Do I think she would be perfectly fine working in her niche field of interest in a Sanders administration, something in the financial end? Sure, I mean, I would hope for someone with more guts, but she's acceptable.

Am I out of line in my assessment?
              I do think you are out of line. Warren has shown tremendous courage and independence. Saying she doesn't have guts is not even close to accurate. We don't know the truth on the whole he said/she said spat they had, but I think it is best to get over that. Bernie will need Warren's supporters if he is going to win anything.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                I do think you are out of line. Warren has shown tremendous courage and independence. Saying she doesn't have guts is not even close to accurate. We don't know the truth on the whole he said/she said spat they had, but I think it is best to get over that. Bernie will need Warren's supporters if he is going to win anything.
                You assume my problem is entirely based on her backstabbing Sanders when I didn't mention that in my list of issues with her.

The issues I bring up make her unfit to be President, in my opinion. But they don't disqualify her from holding office in a Sanders administration, as I think will likely happen.

Comment

You assume my problem is entirely based on her backstabbing Sanders when I didn't mention that in my list of issues with her.

The issues I bring up make her unfit to be President, in my opinion. But they don't disqualify her from holding office in a Sanders administration, as I think will likely happen.
                  No. I am just saying that u are way off base saying she has no guts when she has opposed biden, obama, sanders and bloomberg among others when she disagreed with them.

And I really don't think the purpose of posting here is to convince others to vote for our preferred candidates....but with the situation what it is I don't see much value in pointing out her supposed flaws. Sanders is in the drivers seat and if things continue to go well for him one of his goals in the near future will be to convince supporters of Warren and other candidates to enthusiastically support him. Why waste time and energy saying non-complementary stuff about her ?
                  Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 02-23-2020, 10:26 PM.
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

No. I am just saying that u are way off base saying she has no guts when she has opposed biden, obama, sanders and bloomberg among others when she disagreed with them.

And I really don't think the purpose of posting here is to convince others to vote for our preferred candidates....but with the situation what it is I don't see much value in pointing out her supposed flaws. Sanders is in the drivers seat and if things continue to go well for him one of his goals in the near future will be to convince supporters of Warren and other candidates to enthusiastically support him. Why waste time and energy saying non-complementary stuff about her ?
                    The "guts" comment wasn't about her personal integrity so much as addressing her lack of conviction to fight for the things she claims to stand for.

Like I say, it doesn't matter at this point. She's lost. I am over it, as I've said I'd be fine with her in Sanders' administration, but hopefully something in a financial regulatory position, which is where her main area of interest supposedly lies.

Comment

I understand criticism of Biden and Bloomberg since they are still in the running. And Mayor Pete, just because. Don't understand what the point of criticizing Warren is at this point. I like her better than 99% of Democrats and I think she would be a better president than any Dem president in my lifetime.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The "guts" comment wasn't about her personal integrity so much as addressing her lack of conviction to fight for the things she claims to stand for.

Like I say, it doesn't matter at this point. She's lost. I am over it, as I've said I'd be fine with her in Sanders' administration, but hopefully something in a financial regulatory position, which is where her main area of interest supposedly lies.
                        I still disagree with you, but at this point not worth arguing about.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I still disagree with you, but at this point not worth arguing about.
                          Agreed.

You disagree with those who claim Bloomberg would be significantly better than Trump. I go further, as I think Bloomberg would be much more efficient in his ruthlessness, much more active in the job than Trump, therefore, even worse than Trump if elected. But these determinations don't matter much, as they're unlikely to come to fruition. Bernie v. Trump now.

Comment

• Warren won't get ONE vote from a Sanders supporter unless she goes back and apologizes for the bullshit women can't be president crap she hoisted early on.

Well maybe one, but then they aren't a real Bernista.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Ya'll keep ignoring/blowing off the point.

If they aren't a good person and if they don't ascend the throne in an ethical manner.

You're fucked.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Now that Bernie looks like the man, I hope he takes the lessons in this article to heart. He will need to reach out beyond his base: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/23/o...rump-2020.html

Comment

Working...
                                X