Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I guess I see no merit in any positives if a person has policies like that on their resume.
    To be fair, he was elected 3x in a city with a large minority population (as a Republican no less) so I’m not sure how well the racist thing is going to stick. Presumably the folks in NYC were aware of his policies and still preferred him (including at least one of the races being run against a minority Democrat).
    I guess we will see how much it hurts him starting on Suoer Tuesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
      To be fair, he was elected 3x in a city with a large minority population (as a Republican no less) so I’m not sure how well the racist thing is going to stick. Presumably the folks in NYC were aware of his policies and still preferred him (including at least one of the races being run against a minority Democrat).
      I would expect the racist policies and comments to hurt him much more running as a dem (but maybe not, lol). If he gets the dem nomination then they might not be as much of an issue. Although theoretically he might get less dem support in the general. It will be interesting to see how much support his money can buy
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I would expect the racist policies and comments to hurt him much more running as a dem (but maybe not, lol). If he gets the dem nomination then they might not be as much of an issue. Although theoretically he might get less dem support in the general. It will be interesting to see how much support his money can buy
        Maybe, but I have to believe a lot of Democrats voted for him 3x in NYC. It’s not like there enough GOP voters to get someone elected city wide there.

Comment

I wouldn't underestimate the number of moderates (both democrats and republicans) who are repulsed by Trump but feel he's good for the economy and their account(s) and don't care about much beyond that. If they see an option who they believe will be equally good for the economy and is also more palatable to them on other issues, they could jump. Bloomberg could grab a lot of those voters (and I think there are many) and possibly flip a state like Florida. His issue (beyond the ones you've outlined -- his baggage regarding race and gender) will be the amount of apathy he's likely to generate in young voters and the fact that's a mediocre speaker without a lot of charisma.

Comment

I haven't seen anyone's ugliness cost them in partisan politics so--I don't expect it to hurt him--I only wish things like this mattered more to people than their pocketbooks
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
              I wouldn't underestimate the number of moderates (both democrats and republicans) who are repulsed by Trump but feel he's good for the economy and their account(s) and don't care about much beyond that. If they see an option who they believe will be equally good for the economy and is also more palatable to them on other issues, they could jump. Bloomberg could grab a lot of those voters (and I think there are many) and possibly flip a state like Florida. His issue (beyond the ones you've outlined -- his baggage regarding race and gender) will be the amount of apathy he's likely to generate in young voters and the fact that's a mediocre speaker without a lot of charisma.
              The economy's only good because of deregulation of Environmental and worker protections so your 401K/Stock market boosts have come at a cost to others.

Pretty much--Blood Money.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The economy's only good because of deregulation of Environmental and worker protections so your 401K/Stock market boosts have come at a cost to others.

I'm sure those are a factor, but I imagine that massive capital gains tax cut is the biggest factor.

Comment

I don't disagree at all (although I think the boost in the economy is based on many other factors, many with long-term consequences) -- just pointing out the mindset of certain voters.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                    sure, that's possible. But also possible that his record will lead to voter apathy on the Dem side and all the Republicans vote for their guy. How many people want to turn out for a "less racist" centrist ? Nobody really knows. His money will certainly help him though.
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

sure, that's possible. But also possible that his record will lead to voter apathy on the Dem side and all the Republicans vote for their guy. How many people want to turn out for a "less racist" centrist ? Nobody really knows. His money will certainly help him though.
                      This has been the argument I've used when talking to my family who is all pro-Bloomberg.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Calling it right now--It's Bernie or Bust.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Calling it right now--It's Bernie or Bust.
                          I'm shocked, shocked !
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Maybe, but I have to believe a lot of Democrats voted for him 3x in NYC. It’s not like there enough GOP voters to get someone elected city wide there.
                            probably true. I'm curious how much he spent and how much his "charitable" giving helped him.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm shocked, shocked !
                              Do you see a win any other way?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Do you see a win any other way?
                                I'm not ruling out the amount of support a person can buy with $60 Billion dollars
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X