Page 616 of 636 FirstFirst ... 116516566606614615616617618626 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,160 of 6359

Thread: Election 2020

  1. #6151
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    7,717
    Quote Originally Posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    With Both the house and the Senate Blue and Biden in the WH, I can safely assume there will be quite a bit of reform going on and since the GOP nuked the filibuster, they won't be able to stop a damn thing.
    I hope that happens, but I don't know if it will. I know several folks, including my in-laws, that want Trump gone more than anything, but are on the fence about voting down ballot, because of frustrations with the Democratic Party. While I am not always an advocate of straight ticket voting, I have encouraged them to vote the full ticket, because if Trump someone wins this thing, it is vital he does not have the Senate protecting him any more, and it is vital to send a message to the GOP to never allow a man like Trump run their party ever again.

  2. #6152
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    6,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Wouldn't it relieve some of the fear and anxiety of the issues associated with the mail in as described above?
    Good point, it's not like we're in the middle of a pandemic or something.

  3. #6153
    All Star Kevin Seitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I hope that happens, but I don't know if it will. I know several folks, including my in-laws, that want Trump gone more than anything, but are on the fence about voting down ballot, because of frustrations with the Democratic Party. While I am not always an advocate of straight ticket voting, I have encouraged them to vote the full ticket, because if Trump someone wins this thing, it is vital he does not have the Senate protecting him any more, and it is vital to send a message to the GOP to never allow a man like Trump run their party ever again.
    Yeah, I'm not in love with the Democrats, but I am fully in hate with the Republicans after the last four years.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

  4. #6154
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    30,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Good point, it's not like we're in the middle of a pandemic or something.
    Many, maybe most people find reasons to justify going out. They wear masks, gloves, wash hands, social distance, etc.

    If the threat of the presidential vote is so life and death as has been described then take precautions and go vote.

    Or don't.

  5. #6155
    All Star GwynnInTheHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego--Home Again.
    Posts
    6,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Many, maybe most people find reasons to justify going out. They wear masks, gloves, wash hands, social distance, etc.

    If the threat of the presidential vote is so life and death as has been described then take precautions and go vote.

    Or don't.
    The point is--It shouldn't have to be a life or death choice to vote--period.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  6. #6156
    Journeyman Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON, CAN
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Many, maybe most people find reasons to justify going out. They wear masks, gloves, wash hands, social distance, etc.

    If the threat of the presidential vote is so life and death as has been described then take precautions and go vote.

    Or don't.
    Good take, Gregg.

    We know this is an entirely different election than normal. It won't be an election day, it will be weeks or a month to fight the Republican attempts to rig the vote count. Election day votes will sway public opinion. We know all of these things. So mask the fuck up, carry sanitizer, etc, like your normal precautions, and get your vote counted on day 1 rather than putting your trust in the hands of state legislatures to eventually count it. I would mask up and I hate Biden.

  7. #6157
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    30,348
    Quote Originally Posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    The point is--It shouldn't have to be a life or death choice to vote--period.
    Here is where we differ. That is not the point I am trying to make.

    It is the presidential outcome that is being touted as life and death. If that is true, then it should be more important than to go out and get some toilet paper.

    There have been 13 presidential elections since I was of voting age. Some real doozy candidates/presidents. Most of them life and death. All of them "this one is different."

    Yet still standing.

    I hope one day I will be so swayed by a candidate that I will want to shout from the rooftops HE IS OUR PRESIDENT This certainly is not that.

  8. #6158
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Here is where we differ. That is not the point I am trying to make.

    It is the presidential outcome that is being touted as life and death. If that is true, then it should be more important than to go out and get some toilet paper.

    There have been 13 presidential elections since I was of voting age. Some real doozy candidates/presidents. Most of them life and death. All of them "this one is different."

    Yet still standing.

    I hope one day I will be so swayed by a candidate that I will want to shout from the rooftops HE IS OUR PRESIDENT This certainly is not that.
    I understand your point. i can go get toilet paper in 5 minutes. if everyone could vote in 5 minutes it would be a good comparison, but I don't think that is true

  9. #6159
    All Star heyelander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sactown
    Posts
    8,488
    my dad can't go 5 minutes without bitching about trump. He is 100% sure there will be shenanigans and even though he's 75, he is going to the polls because he doesn't trust the mail.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

  10. #6160
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    30,348
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I understand your point. i can go get toilet paper in 5 minutes. if everyone could vote in 5 minutes it would be a good comparison, but I don't think that is true
    I do not believe it has taken me more than 15-20 minutes to vote for a president. I cannot get toilet paper from the local Jewel in significantly less time. I would say about 15-20 minutes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •