Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    .you would think that people who follow the philosophy of Jesus Christ would be out there fucking
    They probably are, Steve, but what does that have to do with Medicare?

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
      nots, that is snark. you cant present an opinion, with the tools at your fingertips, other than you have no idea? that was a gimme of a question to try to proceed with a basic framework of discussion.
      Sorry you view that as snark. It wasn’t. I can honestly say I have never given a second of thought as to whether or not Canadiens like their health care system. If you have a poll or some data, go ahead and post it and I will look at it.

Comment

• on a different note, I gotta say that we are 5.5 weeks into our election cycle; the election is Monday ... and I've already got campaigning fatigue as do many people I speak with. I really don't know how you manage a 1.5 year campaign down there ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          on a different note, I gotta say that we are 5.5 weeks into our election cycle; the election is Monday ... and I've already got campaigning fatigue as do many people I speak with. I really don't know how you manage a 1.5 year campaign down there ...
          It is way too long and I'd love to see it cut to a third of that, but it won't happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            Some thoughts.

The rest, go away. Booker, Beto, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Harris, be gone. You offer nothing. I'm reading strong reviews for Buttigieg, but I seriously doubt he jumps back into the top tier. His attacks were strong but his personal vision was non-existent.
            I disagree on Buttigieg. I think he is the logical next choice for more moderate voters looking for a candidate once they sour on Biden. Your breakdown seems to suggest most of his voters will turn to a much more progressive candidate. You seem to think the US is more progressive than it is. I think many Biden defectors will be looking to back another moderate. To me, Mayor Pete is the best of the bunch, and he is also the most well funded.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-17-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I disagree on Buttigieg. I think he is the logical next choice for more moderate voters looking for a candidate once they sour on Biden. Your breakdown seems to suggest most of bis voters will turn to a much more progressive candidate. You seem to think the US is more progressive than it is. I think many Biden defectors will be looking to back another moderate. To me, Mayor Pete is the best of the bunch, and he is also the most well funded.

Comment

I disagree on Buttigieg. I think he is the logical next choice for more moderate voters looking for a candidate once they sour on Biden. Your breakdown seems to suggest most of bis voters will turn to a much more progressive candidate. You seem to think the US is more progressive than it is. I think many Biden defectors will be looking to back another moderate. To me, Mayor Pete is the best of the bunch, and he is also the most well funded.
                I agree with this and very much hope it’s an accurate analysis. I like Klobuchar more than Buttigieg, but I don’t think she is going to be able to get into contention, so he is my top realistic choice. If it’s Sanders or Warren, I will vote Libertarian.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                  I agree with this and very much hope it’s an accurate analysis. I like Klobuchar more than Buttigieg, but I don’t think she is going to be able to get into contention, so he is my top realistic choice. If it’s Sanders or Warren, I will vote Libertarian.
                  I am somewhere between Warren and Buttigieg politically, on most issues. I'd be very happy with either. I have said before to more moderate folks, my family included, that you shouldn't let the progressive candidates scare you off from voting for them. They will be pulling much more to the left than you would like, but they won't be able to get there. They will end up, on most things, well short of what they are promising (like Med4All). So I implore everyone to vote for the viable candidate in our two party system to oust Trump.

Comment

Close to my feelings with the exception that if Trumps running i will vote for any Democrat that wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      Close to my feelings with the exception that if Trumps running i will vote for any Democrat that wins.
                      This is what I hope everyone will do. Again, given the make up of this country and our political system, it isn't like the farther left agenda items moderates fear will actually get implemented, at least not to the extent moderates fear. Whoever wins will probably spend their first term just undoing the worst mistakes Trump has made.

Comment

I am somewhere between Warren and Buttigieg politically, on most issues. I'd be very happy with either. I have said before to more moderate folks, my family included, that you shouldn't let the progressive candidates scare you off from voting for them. They will be pulling much more to the left than you would like, but they won't be able to get there. They will end up, on most things, well short of what they are promising (like Med4All). So I implore everyone to vote for the viable candidate in our two party system to oust Trump.
                        Realistically, I am nowhere near Warren or even really Buttigieg. Voting for him (or Biden or Klobuchar) is almost (note the qualifier) entirely a vote against Trump. Voting for Warren is a bridge too far for me. If that’s your nominee, then I will happily vote for the non Gary Johnson Libertarian who’s world view more closely resembles mine.

Comment

Realistically, I am nowhere near Warren or even really Buttigieg. Voting for him (or Biden or Klobuchar) is almost (note the qualifier) entirely a vote against Trump. Voting for Warren is a bridge too far for me. If that’s your nominee, then I will happily vote for the non Gary Johnson Libertarian who’s world view more closely resembles mine.
                          I guess I don't have it in me to go down this road again, cuz we have all had this debate before, and we don't really get anywhere. So I won't make more of a pitch than to say that I understand your perspective, but if one accepts that the further left candidates will not be able to implement the majority of their most costly proposals, I think the only logical vote for anyone that recognizes that Trump must be replaced is to vote for whoever the Dem nom is, even if that candidate is much further to the left than desired. The alternative is more Trump.

Comment

I guess I don't have it in me to go down this road again, cuz we have all had this debate before, and we don't really get anywhere. So I won't make more of a pitch than to say that I understand your perspective, but if one accepts that the further left candidates will not be able to implement the majority of their most costly proposals, I think the only logical vote for anyone that recognizes that Trump must be replaced is to vote for whoever the Dem nom is.
                            If you really believe that the far left won’t be able to enact their legislation, then I humbly submit you give your full throated endorsement to one of the moderates who can.

Comment

If you really believe that the far left won’t be able to enact their legislation, then I humbly submit you give your full throated endorsement to one of the moderates who can.
                              Well, I have pitched Mayor Pete to moderates I know. My personal ranking of Warren ahead of him has to do with several things. 1. She is older, more experienced, and has accomplished more. 2. She has a track record of successes on the national stage he does not. 3. There are issues I am more progressive than moderate on, and I like that Warren will fight for those things, and pull further left than the moderates will. I recognize that you and many others see that as a negative, but my pitch for her is that despite being very progressive, I do think she is a pragmatist at heart, and I don't see that as a negative. I think she will end up compromising on the issue it seems concerns you most--the massive costs of implementation of Med4All. I also think she may run into problems implementing the wealth tax. I just think, if she won, when the dust settles, you may be ideologically against her positions, but she will not end up negatively impacting your life, on the whole, and she will end up helping a lot of Americans in many ways, probably including you and your family. I think the same, to lesser degrees, for every candidate running when comparing them to Trump.

Comment

This is a luxury many have if their state is going to carry one way or another in certainty--Like Calif. It's going Dem no matter what. If your vote lies in a battleground state, a vote for anyone other than the Democratic Nominee is a vote for Trump.

Is Trump preferable to Warren or Sanders in your opinion?
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X