Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I'm trying to think what would bring Biden, Bloomberg, Klobuchar or Buttigieg to drop out before super Tuesday. Klobuchar I can see if she gets blanked in SC and Nevada. The others I'd be surprised if they dropped out in the next 3 weeks.
    Biden doesn't need Bloomberg, Buttigieg and Klobuchar to leave the race before Super Tuesday to turn this into a veritable two-person contest with Sanders. He just needs them to finish below 15% almost everywhere, and particularly in the states that award lots of delegates, so they're not picking up more than a negligible number of delegates that could otherwise have been Biden's. That's why Bloomberg at 27% to Biden's 26% in Florida in today's new poll has to be scary as hell for Biden considering he had 42% and a 26 point lead over his closest competitor when Florida was polled a month ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      What poll is that? I think that may just be a polling average (of one new poll out today and one from back in early January). The one that came out today has Bloomberg inching ahead of Biden, whereas Biden had a huge 26 point lead when Florida was last polled back in early January.

So I read today's polling from Florida as awful for Biden considering where he was a little over a month ago.
      Hmmm...it does appear Bloomberg is ahead, a link I read reported the numbers wrong apparently. Or maybe it was an average mislabeled. And it does appear Biden is dropping in FL and Bloomberg's money is making a difference for now. Shocking !
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Biden doesn't need Bloomberg, Buttigieg and Klobuchar to leave the race before Super Tuesday to turn this into a veritable two-person contest with Sanders. He just needs them to finish below 15% almost everywhere, and particularly in the states that award lots of delegates, so they're not picking up more than a negligible number of delegates that could otherwise have been Biden's. That's why Bloomberg at 27% to Biden's 26% in Florida in today's new poll has to be scary as hell for Biden considering he had 42% and a 26 point lead over his closest competitor when Florida was polled a month ago.
        True, but if they are all still in the race on Super Tuesday that should give Sanders a huge boost because they are dividing the centrist vote moreso than stealing Sanders votes in my opinion. If they dropout earlier a centrist could have a leg up on Bernie. In any event things will be much clearer in 3 weeks.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

And your scenario could play out, which would be a good thing in my opinion. It would be very clarifying
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• This article addresses why Sanders' Med4All plan doesn't hurt him with voters, but does for everyone else. TW and other believers in strong, widespread support for Med4All, what is your take on the data of recent candidates that suggest those that support Bernie's plan did much worse than those who did not? In fact, 72% that did not won their elections while only 45% of those who did won. It also shows really low support depending on how you phrase things. If you highlight loss of choice or higher taxes, it is a real loser, with support falling from 56% to 37%. IDK, in addition to consistency and authenticity, I guess Bernie talks about it better than anyone else, and is better and combating those two issues? Whatever, the case, he needs to hold seminars on branding it or it will never pass. It seems politically, a loser for anyone not named Bernie Sanders. This is why I don't think the blue dogs will support it even if Sanders is POTUS.

I've posted data like this before, but I guess we have different sources, cuz some of you keep saying Med4All has massive support, like 70%. Everything I have seen contradicts that and is consistent with this data--most people don't support it, especially if they when anyone points out loss of choice or higher taxes.

Democratic candidates who endorsed Medicare for All did significantly worse than those who did not. The estimated coefficient of -4.6 indicates that support for Medicare for All cost Democratic candidates in these competitive districts almost five points of vote margin — a substantial effect in a close election.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/heal...81j?li=BBnbfcN
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-14-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• This isn't a great analogy, but data like what I just posted makes me think of my baseball league's current vote to add a prize for the consolation bracket. It was my idea, because as a 14 team league, only 6 teams have a shot at the money and I thought having a small prize to play for in our h2h league would keep things fun for the other 8 teams during our playoffs. So far, the vote is against doing it, with the most vocal against it two perennial non-playoff owners. I always do really well, so the idea wasn't to help me, but I am the one proposing and voting for it, and teams that I was trying to help are saying they are against rewarding non-playoff teams. Not the same thing, but a kind of interesting parallel to me at the moment.

Comment

• So what are the chances of Bloomberg being your nominee? I'm cautiously optimistic.
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  So what are the chances of Bloomberg being your nominee? I'm cautiously optimistic.
                  there is zero chance he is "my nominee". I don't think it is likely he will be the Dem nominee either. I think we are approaching peak Bloomberg and the reality of what he is will bring him back to earth.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    This article addresses why Sanders' Med4All plan doesn't hurt him with voters, but does for everyone else. TW and other believers in strong, widespread support for Med4All, what is your take on the data of recent candidates that suggest those that support Bernie's plan did much worse than those who did not? In fact, 72% that did not won their elections while only 45% of those who did won. It also shows really low support depending on how you phrase things. If you highlight loss of choice or higher taxes, it is a real loser, with support falling from 56% to 37%. IDK, in addition to consistency and authenticity, I guess Bernie talks about it better than anyone else, and is better and combating those two issues? Whatever, the case, he needs to hold seminars on branding it or it will never pass. It seems politically, a loser for anyone not named Bernie Sanders. This is why I don't think the blue dogs will support it even if Sanders is POTUS.

I've posted data like this before, but I guess we have different sources, cuz some of you keep saying Med4All has massive support, like 70%. Everything I have seen contradicts that and is consistent with this data--most people don't support it, especially if they when anyone points out loss of choice or higher taxes.

Democratic candidates who endorsed Medicare for All did significantly worse than those who did not. The estimated coefficient of -4.6 indicates that support for Medicare for All cost Democratic candidates in these competitive districts almost five points of vote margin — a substantial effect in a close election.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/heal...81j?li=BBnbfcN
                    what percent of voters do you think actually have any real understanding of how medicare for all would compare to our current system ?
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

what percent of voters do you think actually have any real understanding of how medicare for all would compare to our current system ?
                      Few. So, how does that get fixed?

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        So what are the chances of Bloomberg being your nominee? I'm cautiously optimistic.
                        Would you vote for him if he were?

Comment

Few. So, how does that get fixed?
                          Great question. It probably doesn't help that many politicians accept money from people who profit from the current system. Maybe vote them out of office
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Great question. It probably doesn't help that many politicians accept money from people who profit from the current system. Maybe vote them out of office
                            But I just posted about how voters seem to prefer them over those that support med4all. So back to square 1.

Comment

But I just posted about how voters seem to prefer them over those that support med4all. So back to square 1.
                              good point. that requires more thought than I can muster on a Friday night
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Damn you ! I have no answer ! except maybe vote Bernie since he was the exception ! Also, if you look at demographics I think younger people have different ideas. But a good question.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X