Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    With Both the house and the Senate Blue and Biden in the WH, I can safely assume there will be quite a bit of reform going on and since the GOP nuked the filibuster, they won't be able to stop a damn thing.
    I hope that happens, but I don't know if it will. I know several folks, including my in-laws, that want Trump gone more than anything, but are on the fence about voting down ballot, because of frustrations with the Democratic Party. While I am not always an advocate of straight ticket voting, I have encouraged them to vote the full ticket, because if Trump someone wins this thing, it is vital he does not have the Senate protecting him any more, and it is vital to send a message to the GOP to never allow a man like Trump run their party ever again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Wouldn't it relieve some of the fear and anxiety of the issues associated with the mail in as described above?
      Good point, it's not like we're in the middle of a pandemic or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I hope that happens, but I don't know if it will. I know several folks, including my in-laws, that want Trump gone more than anything, but are on the fence about voting down ballot, because of frustrations with the Democratic Party. While I am not always an advocate of straight ticket voting, I have encouraged them to vote the full ticket, because if Trump someone wins this thing, it is vital he does not have the Senate protecting him any more, and it is vital to send a message to the GOP to never allow a man like Trump run their party ever again.
        Yeah, I'm not in love with the Democrats, but I am fully in hate with the Republicans after the last four years.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Good point, it's not like we're in the middle of a pandemic or something.
          Many, maybe most people find reasons to justify going out. They wear masks, gloves, wash hands, social distance, etc.

If the threat of the presidential vote is so life and death as has been described then take precautions and go vote.

Or don't.

Comment

Many, maybe most people find reasons to justify going out. They wear masks, gloves, wash hands, social distance, etc.

If the threat of the presidential vote is so life and death as has been described then take precautions and go vote.

Or don't.
            The point is--It shouldn't have to be a life or death choice to vote--period.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Or don't.
              Good take, Gregg.

We know this is an entirely different election than normal. It won't be an election day, it will be weeks or a month to fight the Republican attempts to rig the vote count. Election day votes will sway public opinion. We know all of these things. So mask the fuck up, carry sanitizer, etc, like your normal precautions, and get your vote counted on day 1 rather than putting your trust in the hands of state legislatures to eventually count it. I would mask up and I hate Biden.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                The point is--It shouldn't have to be a life or death choice to vote--period.
                Here is where we differ. That is not the point I am trying to make.

It is the presidential outcome that is being touted as life and death. If that is true, then it should be more important than to go out and get some toilet paper.

There have been 13 presidential elections since I was of voting age. Some real doozy candidates/presidents. Most of them life and death. All of them "this one is different."

Yet still standing.

I hope one day I will be so swayed by a candidate that I will want to shout from the rooftops HE IS OUR PRESIDENT This certainly is not that.

Comment

It is the presidential outcome that is being touted as life and death. If that is true, then it should be more important than to go out and get some toilet paper.

There have been 13 presidential elections since I was of voting age. Some real doozy candidates/presidents. Most of them life and death. All of them "this one is different."

Yet still standing.

I hope one day I will be so swayed by a candidate that I will want to shout from the rooftops HE IS OUR PRESIDENT This certainly is not that.
                  I understand your point. i can go get toilet paper in 5 minutes. if everyone could vote in 5 minutes it would be a good comparison, but I don't think that is true
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• my dad can't go 5 minutes without bitching about trump. He is 100% sure there will be shenanigans and even though he's 75, he is going to the polls because he doesn't trust the mail.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      I understand your point. i can go get toilet paper in 5 minutes. if everyone could vote in 5 minutes it would be a good comparison, but I don't think that is true
                      I do not believe it has taken me more than 15-20 minutes to vote for a president. I cannot get toilet paper from the local Jewel in significantly less time. I would say about 15-20 minutes.

Comment

I do not believe it has taken me more than 15-20 minutes to vote for a president. I cannot get toilet paper from the local Jewel in significantly less time. I would say about 15-20 minutes.
                        I hope your experience is representative of all voters....hopefully toilet paper consumers can be a little faster
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Again, it takes you 15 or 20 minutes to vote. The millions and millions of people who wait hours to vote, say the last mid terms when in GA people were waiting 6 and 7 hours, and many gave up.

Can you maybe imagine why it is they were in that position? Why do you think you, in your neighborhood, did not have to endure a hardship that people who do not look like you have to in order to vote. I mean, again and again, to point out, poor people, who have to work and get paid by the hour, are forced to in effect pay a toll tax of a days pay to vote. And someone else who cannot wrap their heads around why it is a big deal, says well I never take more than 15 or 20 minutes. That is called something.

Comment

• Yea, for every election but one, I have been able to vote in less than 15 minutes (a few times in under 5). When my polling station has been in rural areas or affluent areas or predominantly white areas, that has been the case. But for the 2000 election, I waited for close to 2 hours in a very long, tightly packed line to vote--I don't recall the exact time, but I remember thinking it was taking longer than any ride I'd ever waited for at any theme park I'd ever been to. Maybe it was a coincidence that polling station was in a mostly minority, urban area. IDK, sincerely. There were rumors in the line of under-staffing, or snafus with not having enough ballots that delayed things. We never got a clear answer, or at least I didn't hear one back in the part of the line I was in, just the stuff that got passed back from the front.

But I do know, from experience, not all polling places have the same wait times. And I saw folks in that election, on that day, walk away, because they could not wait any longer. They just couldn't. They were pissed about it, but they had to go. This was in Florida, btw, which decided that election by a mere few hundred votes.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 09-10-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Yet still standing.

You're missing my point. The ACT of voting should not be life or death, yes the outcome of this election seems life and death, but casting the vote, checking the box, punching the card--the ACT should not cost you your life.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Yea, for every election but one, I have been able to vote in less than 15 minutes (a few times in under 5). When my polling station has been in rural areas or affluent areas or predominantly white areas, that has been the case. But for the 2000 election, I waited for close to 2 hours in a very long, tightly packed line to vote--I don't recall the exact time, but I remember thinking it was taking longer than any ride I'd ever waited for at any theme park I'd ever been to. Maybe it was a coincidence that polling station was in a mostly minority, urban area. IDK, sincerely. There were rumors in the line of under-staffing, or snafus with not having enough ballots that delayed things. We never got a clear answer, or at least I didn't hear one back in the part of the line I was in, just the stuff that got passed back from the front.

But I do know, from experience, not all polling places have the same wait times. And I saw folks in that election, on that day, walk away, because they could not wait any longer. They just couldn't. They were pissed about it, but they had to go. This was in Florida, btw, which decided that election by a mere few hundred votes.
                                In 2008, I think I waited approximately 3 hours in NYC. In 2016, in the burbs, it was about 15 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X