Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nots View Post
    I think anything less than 1st place in SC will lead to a private phone call from Obama to Biden saying, ‘it’s over’.
    The biggest question left in the race, in my opinion, is where the support of older/more traditional Black voters goes, particularly if Biden can't recover big time in SC. Per my own social media and work circles, they're loathe to go to Buttigieg or Bloomberg. Is that an opening for Klobuchar or Warren, or can Bernie win those Black voters who have been leaning Biden. If they swing to Bernie, I think that's the ball game.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      The biggest question left in the race, in my opinion, is where the support of older/more traditional Black voters goes, particularly if Biden can't recover big time in SC. Per my own social media and work circles, they're loathe to go to Buttigieg or Bloomberg. Is that an opening for Klobuchar or Warren, or can Bernie win those Black voters who have been leaning Biden. If they swing to Bernie, I think that's the ball game.
      I think at some point if Sanders starts pulling ahead, Obama will endorse someone not named Sanders, and that will be your nominee.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        You're good with Commas?
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMUrB-Um1Y - language warning

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          The timing of when various candidates drop out is the other big factor. As long as Bloomberg, Biden, Pete and Klobuchar are all in the race Bernie will probably be in good shape. If Warren drops out early that could be even better for him (probably, but at this point I'm not sure where here supporters would go)
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think at some point if Sanders starts pulling ahead, Obama will endorse someone not named Sanders, and that will be your nominee.
            I'm usually agreeable that every single Democratic power broker will put their weight into stopping Sanders, but with Obama, I'm not so sure he would make such a public gesture. His main job now is protecting his image and legacy, and his Netflix lifestyle brand contracts, etc. He's too calculated to make a bad bet, and there's nobody with enough cache to catch him, even with an Obama endorsement bounce, I don't think. So he wouldn't make the wager for fear of backing a loser.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              I'm usually agreeable that every single Democratic power broker will put their weight into stopping Sanders, but with Obama, I'm not so sure he would make such a public gesture. His main job now is protecting his image and legacy, and his Netflix lifestyle brand contracts, etc. He's too calculated to make a bad bet, and there's nobody with enough cache to catch him, even with an Obama endorsement bounce, I don't think. So he wouldn't make the wager for fear of backing a loser.
              I don’t know about that....he won by 2% in a state very favorable to him. I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion he will be the nominee.

Comment

I don’t know about that....he won by 2% in a state very favorable to him. I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion he will be the nominee.
                Yeah, it is great to be positive about Bernie's chances right now, but frankly, I thought he'd do better there. Lotta game left to be played.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Yeah, it is great to be positive about Bernie's chances right now, but frankly, I thought he'd do better there. Lotta game left to be played.
                  I agree. It's amazing that if Klobuchar hadnt surged as much, Buttigieg could have won NH, and then it would be much more tenuous for Sanders. Klobuchar might have saved his bacon.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Did anyone notice that Klobuchar had more votes than Biden and Warren combined?

I don't buy the Mighty Mike scenario, but Klobuchar might have some legs. A lot depends on who has traction in the three big Super Tuesday regions.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Doesn’t someone have to take the fall for this debacle? I am not plugged in well enough to know where most of the blame lies, but it would seem that either Perez or the head of the IDP has go to go at this point. Am I wrong?
                      Took a little while, but the ax finally fell on someone:
                      The chair of Iowa’s Democratic Party resigned on Wednesday, just over a week after the problem-plagued Iowa caucus that threw the party and 2020 presidential primary into chaos, according to …

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                        Why do I think that's not very far from some people's reality...…………
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          not cool to Doxx me
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            Yes, 100%. That's my exact point. The focus shouldn't be on the person releasing a 4+ year old video featuring Bloomberg making these problematic and racist statements. Yes, the timing is "convenient", and Benjamin Dixon clearly has an agenda, but I'd much rather them be focusing on the statements that were made and how problematic they are than whether or not this is dirty politics.

Of course - we're in the Trump regime so apparently being blatantly problematic matters a lot less than it used to.
                            Apparently. It's hard to find an article from WAPO, NY Times or watch cable TV without finding a justification, explanation, or minimization of what he said. Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have both taken heat for Bloomberg's racist comments. This is just a textbook case in propaganda.

Edit. It appears the ny times at least has recently had an article or opionion piece that is critical of Bloomberg

And fortunately he has his own media network to give his side of the story, which they claimed they wouldn't do :

Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 02-12-2020, 11:43 PM.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              OK, I've held off asking this because I sincerely doubt I'll get any answers only None of your business type Reponses.

All of you guys opposing Sanders.

What is your combined household annual income?

Do you have healthcare and if so, how good is it and how much does it cost you a month?

Do you have savings/401K with enough to cover say an emergency expense of $1000?

Did you attend/graduate college and if so, how did you pay for it--are you still paying for it?

Do you own your home? More than 1 property?

I only ask this because I have to believe those opposing Sanders and those in his camp come from different fiscal realities--Now I may be wrong, but I can't imagine anyone living in my wheelhouse ever opposing someone like Sanders.

I'll go first (but I'm not opposed to Sanders) in the interest of fair play and full disclosure.

I work full time, my wife attends school full time (it will be this way for another 7ish years as she's going for her PHD.)

I made 30K last year before taxes. My wife will be bringing in another 3-5K once she starts tutoring in the Fall. If we're lucky our annual income is 35K.

I have insurance, it costs me $350 a month or 1/10th of my annual salary. My wife does not, she gets what she needs through school and sliding scale/free clinics. To cover her on my work plan would raise out total healthcare cost to $700+ a month.

No saving, though we are trying to change that by working really hard on a budget that will allow us to save about 4-5K a year if we have no unforeseen expenses. less than 1K in my 401K (wife has none)

I did, uses grants scholarships and loans, I still owe 50K in loans (100K with interest) Wife is attending using Grants and Scholarships (4.0 top of her class) but has still accrued 20K in loans--hoping the annual dependency on those is reduced as her scholarship amounts increase.

We can fade an expense but it is really hard, 1K would be a killer--$500 is workable but makes it tight for a few months after.

Not a home owner, nor any other fiscal assets. before I'm asked, our entire monthly bill amount (utilities, car, insurance, rent etc.) is $2K and that's with Rent being $1500

We live a happy healthy lifestyle and are really lucky in our minds.

I can't imagine anyone living a similar life being against Sanders and his policies.

Again, I doubt I'll get many answers, but I have to imagine those opposing Sanders are doing much better financially and understandably don't want to risk what they have or the chance the economy might take a hit because his policies alienate the corporate barons and wealthy.

Caveat--I am NOT doing this to illicit sympathy for my lot in life--I have an AMAZING life, very fortunate on many counts and have learned to live on a tight budget--Sanders or no sanders my life won't change much.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Edit. BTW, If Sanders is elected and IF every policy he's touting is implemented day one it won't really affect my life in any significant manner outside of my Wife having healthcare and not incurring any more debt while getting her bachelors degree.
                              I already disclosed i am a billionaire. The rest is just details.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                I already disclosed i am a billionaire. The rest is just details.
                                How Trumpish.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X