Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    Trump supporters are all spending their money on big ass flags to attach to their trucks and shrink wrapping his name on their boats.
    #YallQaeda and #VanillaISIS are trending now.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• After months of polling showing Biden comfortably ahead, the alarm bells are finally starting to sound at GOP headquarters. Between Ted Cruz's recent nervous proclamation that this could be worse than the post-Watergate election and McConnell saying yesterday that the "Democrats are on fire" when it comes to raising money, the GOP is running scared. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        After months of polling showing Biden comfortably ahead, the alarm bells are finally starting to sound at GOP headquarters. Between Ted Cruz's recent nervous proclamation that this could be worse than the post-Watergate election and McConnell saying the "Democrats are on fire" when it comes to raising money, the GOP is running scared. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.
        Yeah, but when you corner rats, they lash out. I'm sure they will ramp up voter suppression efforts, and Trump will continue to try to spark civil unrest by claiming the election is not legitimate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Yeah, but when you corner rats, they lash out. I'm sure they will ramp up voter suppression efforts, and Trump will continue to try to spark civil unrest by claiming the election is not legitimate.
          At this point, it's looking like his only attempt to win -- this "illegitimate election" nonsense -- will be tossed almost immediately if the returns show an incredible lead for Biden across many battleground states. And I have a hard time figuring out how Dopey's Keystone Kop brigade could prove there's "voter fraud" in Republican-led states he's possibly going to lose, such as New Hampshire, Arizona & Florida.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            At this point, it's looking like his only attempt to win -- this "illegitimate election" nonsense -- will be tossed almost immediately if the returns show an incredible lead for Biden across many battleground states. And I have a hard time figuring out how Dopey's Keystone Kop brigade could prove there's "voter fraud" in Republican-led states he's possibly going to lose, such as New Hampshire, Arizona & Florida.
            Yeah, that is my hope--that Biden wins so big that it is out of the playbook. The illegitimate election angle is damaging to our country and our credibility. Of course, Trump doesn't care about that anymore than he cares about stepping on a public health hero like Fauci to climb out of the gutter he finds himself in. Trump is once again claiming he has saved 2 million people from dying of this virus in the US, and once again attacking Fauci. #stablegenius.

Comment

• Cook political makes two changes to the senate. Alaska and Texas move from likely R to lean R and not surprisingly with Warnock almost certainly going to a run off with Loeffler or Collins the open GA seat moves to a tossup. Alaska and Texas remain unlikely to flip but good for momentum. GA though is for real and will have a run off that will be very close.

Comment

• I would not use the word comfortable with anything relating to this cycle. Yes, the polls show a double digit lead nationwide, 12, 14, even 16%. In battleground states it is much closer, but still the edge is growing week by week, helped more by trumps own efforts to be a super spreader with his clan rallies than anything else. The final count will be well in Bidens favor, but that night of election, when the bulk of mail in ballots will not have been counted, that bulk that is largely democratic votes, because trumps base has been gaslighted to believe mail in bad. The red mirage, the night of election will have room for trump hysteria, when he will be inciting his people to violence.

Biden will win, but there will be violence, thats what I mean when I say there is nothing comfortable about this cycle. The months leading up to today, when we had anti trump people who are playing the game that dems do, shoot themselves in foot, by trashing biden while at same time saying they condemn trump, so much effort that does nothing but sink dem chances. So many people did the protest vote, saying if I cant get Bernie I will vote 3rd party. Look at that, the 3rd party votes would have easily sunk the trump election but this time around, slowly, reluctantly, but inevitably, enough have decided to accept reality of our 2 party system. You either vote biden, and stop with the coupled disparaging language of biden, or you are acting against him, but dressing it up in other language.

I think all sane people can breathe a bit knowing trump will not have a 2nd term to continue his fascist rebuilding of america in his image, but there is plenty of runway for ugliness. Is there a limit to self serving pardons trump can issue to cronies? Is there more stand back, and stand by type language trump can spout that will result in cheering proud boys putting that new motto on their jackets, and give rise to more armed "militia" in state capitols, or kidnapping plots? There is runway for violence for sure.

Comment

• this is nuts - representative democracies have an obligation to make voting accessible to all citizens ... this is soooo not that ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    this is nuts - representative democracies have an obligation to make voting accessible to all citizens ... this is soooo not that ...
                    No offense, but I beg to differ. Specifically:

- Georgia opened in-person voting early so voters can vote in-person anytime between now and election day.
                    - A resident can vote at any approved voting location in their county during the early voting timeframe.
                    - The Atlanta area did fight with early software bugs that have already been resolved at all but one site in Cobb County.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      No offense, but I beg to differ. Specifically:

- Georgia opened in-person voting early so voters can vote in-person anytime between now and election day.
                      - A resident can vote at any approved voting location in their county during the early voting timeframe.
                      - The Atlanta area did fight with early software bugs that have already been resolved at all but one site in Cobb County.
                      If you think the access is there, why do you think there are such incredibly long lines?

Comment

• Ok so my opinion that America really doesn’t care about sexting or at least hates Tillis and R’s so much they are overlooking it gets another supporting data point A+ rated Monmouth shows Cunningham gaining 2 points from their last poll to lead 48-44. Biden also leads Trump 49-46.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          If you think the access is there, why do you think there are such incredibly long lines?
                          Extremely high turnout, per reports. I've seen the same thing in many states during major elections - look at the lines that formed before polls opened on Election Day in 2008, for example, that didn't even involve social distancing. And they did admittedly have some early problems.

However, where I disagree with TranaGreg is that this, somehow, is a failure to make voting accessible to all citizens. My first two points are huge improvements over previous elections - a voter now has 20+ days to vote in person, rather than just on Election Day, and greatly improved access by allowing voting at any approved location within their county.

So, basically, Georgia increased timing access by more than 20x (number of days a person can access the polls) and significantly increased flexibility (by allowing voting at more than just the aldermanic district of your residence). Explain to me how this is a failure to make voting accessible to all citizens?
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• 538.com now has Biden as an 87% favorite.

Comment

Extremely high turnout, per reports. I've seen the same thing in many states during major elections - look at the lines that formed before polls opened on Election Day in 2008, for example, that didn't even involve social distancing. And they did admittedly have some early problems.

However, where I disagree with TranaGreg is that this, somehow, is a failure to make voting accessible to all citizens. My first two points are huge improvements over previous elections - a voter now has 20+ days to vote in person, rather than just on Election Day, and greatly improved access by allowing voting at any approved location within their county.

So, basically, Georgia increased timing access by more than 20x (number of days a person can access the polls) and significantly increased flexibility (by allowing voting at more than just the aldermanic district of your residence). Explain to me how this is a failure to make voting accessible to all citizens?
                              I think this article explains what concerns people:

Studies show that race is one of the strongest predictors of how long a person waits in line to vote.

In 2019, researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles, Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Chicago used smartphone data to quantify the racial disparity in waiting times at polls across the country. Residents of entirely-black neighborhoods waited 29 percent longer to vote and were 74 percent more likely to spend more than 30 minutes voting.

Similarly, nonwhite voters are seven times more likely than white voters to wait in line for more than an hour to vote, according to a 2017 study by the University of Pennsylvania’s Stephen Pettigrew, who is a senior analyst for the NBC News Decision Desk. The reason, the study concluded, is because election officials send more resources to white polling precincts.

That can affect the electorate for years to come.

“Waiting in a line makes you less likely to turn out in subsequent elections,” Pettigrew said earlier this year, citing his research on that issue.

And mail voting, trusted less by voters of colors, has its own challenges: Black voters’ ballots are more likely to be rejected than ballots cast by white voters.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

hopefully this truly is an anomaly; hey I work in IT, I know what high volume transactions can do ...

and I didn't realize that everyone has 20 days within which to vote, that is worth noting ... and is something I hope we can implement up here.
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X