Page 245 of 245 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245
Results 2,441 to 2,449 of 2449

Thread: Election 2020

  1. #2441
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    So that's it? Because the polls were wrong once, we can never trust them again? If we said that about any number of things - science, progress, fantasy sports (egads) -- we may never be able to trust anything! And remember, the turning point may have come very late (two days before Election Day), with the Comey disclosure.

    Frankly, Trump was such a wildcard with no political history to speak of in 2016, so non-Hillary types voted for him as a 'what the hell' vote. (Remember "What do you have to lose?"). Well, now we know what a disaster he is, and since then he's hemorrhaged many of those who voted for him as an anti-Hilary vote that it's hard NOT to trust the polls. His base is his base, and that base represents 40%-43%. The Dems now know, down to the street corners, where they have to blanket. Trump is losing females, suburbanites, latinos, african-americans, LGBTQs, Jews, Millennials, you name it. He won in 2016 because he skated such a thin lane to victory that it's hard to see how he can repeat that, with all the losses in his voting capital.
    It is good to get uplifted by stuff I read here sometimes. I hope you are right that Trump's victory was pretty much a fluke. That means we will be rid of him no matter who the Dem candidate is. I really hope that is the case. I'm with you, I'm 100% behind whoever runs against him. And yes, Biden is still dominating him like no other.

    Still, while I think TW is overblowing some Biden stuff, because it fits his pre-existing disdain for Biden, you gotta admit, there are some signs of slippage with Biden like the things TW has pointed out, and some of his answers so far on key issues have been disappointing and concerning. (BTW, TW, I often disagree with your tone and tactics in here, but I still appreciate your participation, because you are really deep into this stuff and sometimes you expose me to things I hadn't seen or heard yet. You bring a lot of info into these threads...it amazes me how much you know about American politics as a Canadian).

    As I've stated before, my biggest worry is that a large chunk of his current support is not yet paying attention. I just hope they start soon so they, and all voters are committed to their candidate and won't push someone to a primary victory and THEN change their mind. The same would go for theoretical Sanders voters who support him now, but then only discover he will raises taxes later and then drop him. I can't imagine such an ill informed voter, but that is the level of my paranoia. I just hope, if Biden maintains this support, it is because his voters know the red flags and choose to overlook them because they still want him. Part of me fears at least some of his support is coming from folks who haven't watched him much lately or seen all of his answers on key issues.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; Yesterday at 02:34 PM.

  2. #2442
    Administrator revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fuggedabboutit
    Posts
    19,249
    Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    Comey disclosure was not 2 days before the election.
    Excuse me....10 days. Hillary was 7-10 points ahead before then but up by just 2% a couple of days before Election Day. That's the point.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/u...ton-email.html
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ve_132270.html

  3. #2443
    Administrator revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fuggedabboutit
    Posts
    19,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    You say Biden couldn't possibly debate for over an hour if he were failing mentally, yet you don't address his clear mental failings.

    The answer on the legacy of slavery was insane, and you've never addressed it.
    And you don't address the fact of how someone who is going senile (in your opinion) can debate for 3 hours or give a well-regarded 90 minute speech. Something isn't jiving.

    If you're senile, you absolutely couldn't do either. But you sure could slip up a few times throughout. Did his 'record player' answer make any sense? Nope. Do I toss out his entire platform because of that and a few other non-sensical items? Nope.

    Does he sound like he's slurring sometimes? Yep. Is that senility, or just bad dentures (LOL)?

    Let's face it -- he's old, Bernie is an old geezer, Trump is old, Warren is old. One of those four are winning.

  4. #2444
    Moderator GwynnInTheHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas!
    Posts
    5,073
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    And you don't address the fact of how someone who is going senile (in your opinion) can debate for 3 hours or give a well-regarded 90 minute speech. Something isn't jiving.

    If you're senile, you absolutely couldn't do either. But you sure could slip up a few times throughout. Did his 'record player' answer make any sense? Nope. Do I toss out his entire platform because of that and a few others non-sensical items? Nope.

    Does he sound like he's slurring sometimes? Yep. Is that senility, or just bad dentures (LOL)?

    Let's face it -- he's old, Bernie is an old geezer, Trump is old, Warren is old. One of those four are winning.
    Biden has tripped over his tongue throughout his career. He's made unfortunate statements as well (mouth engaged, brain not so much)

    I do worry about the perception that it's increasing with age and Trump has already started to make it a campaign issue (see his latest polit ad)

    Anyhow, yeah there's lots of old folks on the ticket, but we are aging as a Nation so I don't see the actual age being an issue as much as the idea one of the aged are losing their faculties.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  5. #2445
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I hope you are right that Trump's victory was pretty much a fluke. That means we will be rid of him no matter who the Dem candidate is. .
    The problem is that he'll still have a twitter account.
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

    "It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

    "I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

  6. #2446
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    The problem is that he'll still have a twitter account.

  7. #2447
    Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,132
    Biden's answer about the legacy of slavery is disqualifying, watch this clip. It's all laid out clearly, exactly how extremely problematic and racist his response is.

    Anand Giridharadas, a very smart talking head, responded on twitter with this summation:

    "Is this not one of the most explicitly racist moments of all time in a Democratic Primary debate?

    The record player moment may be what finally reveals Biden's bankruptcy.

    A staggering two minutes in our politics.

    America's gravest, most persistent injustice recast as parental ignorance.

    Also, how can your main takeaway about the African-American family be that there's too little listening to music going on?

    It's a whole new level of racism to say that the way to repair the legacy of slavery is for black people to stop refusing to give music to their kids.

    This is easily the defining moment of today's debate, and it deserves more media scrutiny. This is the frontrunner. Currently the most likely nominee. This is how he talks about African-Americans, who are the beating heart and soul of his party.

    Let's be clear: if you are for Biden in this contest, the casual, paternalistic, "Mad Men"-era racism he flaunts -- they can't parent; this one here is clean, articulate, and a nice looking guy -- isn't a dealbreaker for you."


  8. #2448
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    5,553
    De Blasio is out of the race.

  9. #2449
    Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    De Blasio is out of the race.
    That line almost suggests he was ever in the race, as other than a mere formality.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •