No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For what it is worth, I support Mayor Pete. Anyone who listens to him can tell he is bright and is really trying to answer questions posed to him sincerely and without canned responses.

Bernie, who I also support, he comes off as very programmed, I can almost do his speech, and his responses, as he uses the same rhetoric. But he believes in helping the 99% earnestly, not just as a soundbite ploy.

You want sharp, listen to Harris, who I also support, she is a no nonsense sharp fact based speaker who will eviscerate Trump one on one.

Unlike Warren, who I support, picture as having some difficulty one on one on the big stage, but I appreciate she has the most developed policies developed on her website for everything you can think of. Of course if it is not clear, I support every one of the D candidates, as measured vs Trump, they are comparing a wanna be fascist who has circled the wagons of justice dept to so blatantly stonewall and personally protect him. We have a bunch of great candidates and focus should be on getting Trump out, literally anyone else on the public stage is a step up.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      "Since about 52% of U.S. households have a retirement account, according to the Federal Reserve, more than double the 22% of households with student debt, Mr. Sanders' plan could end up taxing half the country to forgive debt held by less than a quarter of Americans."
      https://www.investmentnews.com/artic...ay-off-student
      Thank you sir.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
        Jumping to white supremacy seems quite the leap. I know no one likes the practical answer but if the tapes were made illegally and the city released them they would open themselves up to law suits from those now former cops. This article says as much

“The administration has refused to turn over the tapes unless a judge rules they weren’t made illegally”

He’s probably trying not to bankrupt the city even if that choice would be more popular with a lot of people.
        As a point of clarification, I'm not making any leap to white supremacy. I view white supremacy as the status quo. His support of the status quo has been damaging to his community. But I'm not making any special claim of racist intent on his part, merely the effects of his inaction.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I wish I could write this well: https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...on-2020-227215

Trump’s numbers are unmovable, but yours are not. He doesn’t need to win this thing; he needs for you to lose it. There are millions of swing voters who regard Trump as an abomination but might vote for him again if they think you are scarier, more extreme, dangerous, or just annoyingly out of touch.

And, you have some experience at this, don’t you?

Despite the favorable poll numbers and the triumphalism in your blue bubble, you’ve already made a solid start at guaranteeing another four years of Trumpism. Last week’s pile-on of Joe Biden was a good example of how you might eat your own over the next 16 months.
          This is very much where I am at, and I agree is a great warning for Democrats.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            Question. Bernie's plan taxes each individual transaction. For retirement plans, the hit would be extremely minimal. The real losers would be wall street high-volume traders, right?
            No. Retirement plans, of which I assume you're talking about 401ks, must use mutual funds and/or Exchange Traded funds. Variable annuities, individually sold through insurance companies for retirement, also use mutual funds as their securities to invest. A mutual fund or ETF is a collectively pooled account consisting of a large basket of stocks or bonds. Each fund/ETF charges an "expense ratio" to cover trading expenses, salaries, and the general cost of doing business and keeping the lights on. This expense ratio is a percentage of the assets invested in the fund. Actively managed funds charge higher expenses than passively managed funds, and in addition to just buying and selling shares to get returns to beat a benchmark index, these funds also have to buy and sell securities every day just to sell more shares or make redemptions. A typical actively managed mutual fund may have an expense ratio of 1.00%-1.25% which gets charged to the consumer. If there's suddenly a 0.05% tax on EVERY trade they make -- buy or sell -- and if a typical fund makes literally tens of thousands of trades a year, you would see fund expense ratios double, maybe even triple. Actively managed mutual funds would see their expense ratio jump to 2.0%-3.0%, at least. Annuities, 4%-5%. Even passively managed funds, like the Vanguard S&P 500 Index, which has to make hundreds of trades a day just to sell or redeem shares, would also see their expenses jump (passive funds usually have an expense ratio of 0.03%-0.50%).

Additionally, in a bond market with falling interest rates, you might see expense ratios start to erode the already low potential return. What good is an Ultra Short Bond Fund, designed to return 1%-2%, if expenses will now eat up half of that return, or more?

Obviously, it's the consumer -- the retirement plan participant -- who are paying this tax, and not Wall Street. Bernie's plan would literally drive mutual funds out of business. It would also catastrophically destroy the annuities market, because current holders of annuities already were "guaranteed" a monthly return which is a percentage of their assets, but if there's now a tax that affects the underlying mutual funds, that guaranteed return would need to be lowered. So someone who holds an annuity and is receiving 5.6% of their account per year as a payout for life, would see that payout forcibly lowered since the insurance company's expenses just got dramatically higher.

In addition, it would cause traders to buy and hold rather than be active, so liquidity in the markets would dry up.

Lastly, if Bernie did get elected with this proposal behind him, Trump would be right -- the stock market would collapse!

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
              I wish I could write this well: https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...on-2020-227215

This is very much where I am at, and I agree is a great warning for Democrats.
              Good article, which is basically saying "make sure to vote for a Centrist (i.e. Biden)."

Comment

Good article, which is basically saying "make sure to vote for a Centrist (i.e. Biden)."
                And not surprisingly I disagree.

Trump won last election why?

Because the far left abandoned the centrist vote.

The far left democrats might not vote centrist even if it means 4 more years of Trump.

However....

Centrist Democrats WILL vote farther to the left to defeat Trump.

My perspective is, beating Trump is easy--Vote in unity and the only way to do that is follow the progressives, not the centrists.

Again, I'm not advocating one platform over the other because right now, there aren't enough planks out there to make a qualified decision yet.

I'm saying the only way to guarantee the Party votes as one is to move to the left.

Should a united Democratic party vote for the Dem Nominee, it doesn't matter if everyone who voted Trump votes for him again. He'll lose.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  And not surprisingly I disagree.

Trump won last election why?

Because the far left abandoned the centrist vote.

The far left democrats might not vote centrist even if it means 4 more years of Trump.

However....

Centrist Democrats WILL vote farther to the left to defeat Trump.

My perspective is, beating Trump is easy--Vote in unity and the only way to do that is follow the progressives, not the centrists.

Again, I'm not advocating one platform over the other because right now, there aren't enough planks out there to make a qualified decision yet.

I'm saying the only way to guarantee the Party votes as one is to move to the left.

Should a united Democratic party vote for the Dem Nominee, it doesn't matter if everyone who voted Trump votes for him again. He'll lose.
                  I'm just saying the article is saying that focusing too much on any far left issue (reparations, ending private health insurance, etc.) will lead to another Trump win.

You're saying "vote in unity" but also saying far left democrats won't do that, even at a substantial cost. And you're probably not wrong, which is sad.

Comment

I'm just saying the article is saying that focusing too much on any far left issue (reparations, ending private health insurance, etc.) will lead to another Trump win.

You're saying "vote in unity" but also saying far left democrats won't do that, even at a substantial cost. And you're probably not wrong, which is sad.
                    I agree it is sad, but for many reasons not just the obvious 'we should row in the same direction' argument.

Thing is, the far left sees the status quo and the broken system as much of a threat (or very close) as another Trump term. Centrists only see Trump as the issue so it's far easier for the center to move than the left.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                      As a point of clarification, I'm not making any leap to white supremacy. I view white supremacy as the status quo. His support of the status quo has been damaging to his community. But I'm not making any special claim of racist intent on his part, merely the effects of his inaction.
                      No the mayor of a small town none of us would know if Norte Dame football wasn’t played there has not fixed institutionalized racism in America, but to me he remains thoughtful, intelligent, and someone I am interested in. Everything anyone has called for he hasn’t really been legally able to do. He doesn’t have the authority to fire officers. If the tape was made illegally he can’t reasonably make it public record unless a court does. He got between two bad choices with Dawkins. Fire a black police chief or see the FBI indict him. To me none of this makes him unworthy of my consideration and the fact that he took the responsibility for this makes me respect him as a leader.

I’m mostly going to avoid tearing Democrats down in the primaries and I’ll watch with an open mind. Yes I’ve said to me Sanders and Biden are too old but I can find common ground with both.

Comment

No the mayor of a small town none of us would know if Norte Dame football wasn’t played there has not fixed institutionalized racism in America, but to me he remains thoughtful, intelligent, and someone I am interested in. Everything anyone has called for he hasn’t really been legally able to do. He doesn’t have the authority to fire officers. If the tape was made illegally he can’t reasonably make it public record unless a court does. He got between two bad choices with Dawkins. Fire a black police chief or see the FBI indict him. To me none of this makes him unworthy of my consideration and the fact that he took the responsibility for this makes me respect him as a leader.

I’m mostly going to avoid tearing Democrats down in the primaries and I’ll watch with an open mind. Yes I’ve said to me Sanders and Biden are too old but I can find common ground with both.
                        I'm voting for frae.
                        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                          I'm voting for frae.
                          Start up a super pac and I won’t tell you what to do with the money

Comment

Start up a super pac and I won’t tell you what to do with the money
                            There's already $1.73 in the super pac!!! Should I print flyers? Oh....wait....you can't tell me what to do with the $. Guess I'll dig in the couch and see if I can find enough to go with the $1.37 to buy a burger.
                            “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                              There's already $1.73 in the super pac!!! Should I print flyers? Oh....wait....you can't tell me what to do with the $. Guess I'll dig in the couch and see if I can find enough to go with the $1.37 to buy a burger.
                              frae, your super pac value just went from $1.73 to $1.37, losing over 20% in a nanosecond ... I think there's corruption in your administration ...
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                frae, your super pac value just went from $1.73 to $1.37, losing over 20% in a nanosecond ... I think there's corruption in your administration ...
                                I can’t tell my super pac how to invest their funds, this poor money management cannot be tied to me or my campaign.

Comment

Working...
                                X