Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Part of me loves the idea of what Cohen does, and I admire the courage it takes in many cases (the dude might get shot one of these days). But a bigger part of me just can't handle watching him at work. It is way to cringey for me. Sometimes I feel bad for those that are the butt of his jokes, even if their ideas are deserving of ridicule. In this case, that would not be a problem, but I'd probably just get depressed.
    did you ever see him talk about why he does what he does? I saw an interview with him a long time ago ... it was pretty revealing (when I have time I might try to find it)

edit: not what I was looking for but this captures the essence of it ...

"Borat essentially works as a tool. By himself being anti-Semitic, he lets people lower their guard and expose their own prejudices, whether it's anti-Semitism or an acceptance of anti-Semitism. 'Throw the Jew Down the Well' was a very controversial sketch, and some members of the Jewish community thought it was actually going to encourage anti-Semitism.

"But to me it revealed something about that bar in Tuscon. And the question is: did it reveal that they were anti-Semitic? Perhaps. But maybe it just revealed that they were indifferent to anti-Semitism," he said.

Baron Cohen said the concept of "indifference towards anti-Semitism" had been informed by his study of the Holocaust while at Cambridge University, where he read history. "I remember, when I was in university, and there was this one major historian of the Third Reich, Ian Kershaw. And his quote was, 'The path to Auschwitz was paved with indifference.'

"I know it's not very funny being a comedian talking about the Holocaust, but I think it's an interesting idea that not everyone in Germany had to be a raving anti-Semite. They just had to be apathetic," he said.
    link
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• *Tucson

I wanted to check that place out but never got around to it.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Part of me loves the idea of what Cohen does, and I admire the courage it takes in many cases (the dude might get shot one of these days). But a bigger part of me just can't handle watching him at work. It is way to cringey for me. Sometimes I feel bad for those that are the butt of his jokes, even if their ideas are deserving of ridicule. In this case, that would not be a problem, but I'd probably just get depressed.
        agreed.... being married to him is the single not sexy thing about Isla Fisher
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          did you ever see him talk about why he does what he does? I saw an interview with him a long time ago ... it was pretty revealing (when I have time I might try to find it)

edit: not what I was looking for but this captures the essence of it ...

link
          I get that is he is smart and his characters are meant to represent biting and probing satire. But that stuff just makes me uncomfortable, which is I guess the point. To a lesser extent, I felt the same way about the old Daily Show bits where correspondents would go out and interview unsuspecting people. It always had a point, but it just feels weird being "in" on the joke, sitting at home laughing at the stupidity or close-mindedness of others. I suppose that sort of ridicule can shame some folks into change, but it also seems self-serving and elitist, like the audience is patting itself on its back for being smarter and better than thee butts of the jokes. Again, in theory, I get it and see its meaning. In practice, I just feel uncomfortable watching stuff like that. I do enjoy comedians making fun of the same sort of stuff, but it feel different when the butt of the mocking is faceless, and it seems more about the ideas being mocked than the people.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            I did not know they were an item. I guess Sasha has mad game.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              A non-animated version of Roger and Jessica Rabbit, no?
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Joe Biden raises a stunning $141m in June, outpacing Trump by $10m (still a lofty total given his disastrous month).

Where's TW to bash his fundraising capabilities?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Joe Biden raises a stunning $141m in June, outpacing Trump by $10m (still a lofty total given his disastrous month).

Where's TW to bash his fundraising capabilities?
                  You've asked this before, so I'll answer.

I was talking about fundraising money from actual donors, which is more of a sign of voter enthusiasm than corporate funding. Hillary Clinton demolished Trump in fundraising in 2016, but it was the same then as it is today. All of the money is coming from corporate interests, not real people.

Bernie had over 2 million individual donors to his campaign. When Biden's team reached out to those voters, he drummed up about 60k new donors. Around 3%. Thats pathetic. He is literally IN HIDING, and you gloat about how great he is? Gimme a fucking break. When he comes into the public light, its going to be the saddest display of American dysfunction. Should be quite enjoyable for me.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                    You've asked this before, so I'll answer.

I was talking about fundraising money from actual donors, which is more of a sign of voter enthusiasm than corporate funding. Hillary Clinton demolished Trump in fundraising in 2016, but it was the same then as it is today. All of the money is coming from corporate interests, not real people.

Bernie had over 2 million individual donors to his campaign. When Biden's team reached out to those voters, he drummed up about 60k new donors. Around 3%. Thats pathetic. He is literally IN HIDING, and you gloat about how great he is? Gimme a fucking break. When he comes into the public light, its going to be the saddest display of American dysfunction. Should be quite enjoyable for me.
                    Watching you haplessly flail is enjoyable to the rest of us.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Another ad from Republican Voters Against Trump:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Another ad from Republican Voters Against Trump:

Love it. Bout time some in the party said loud what his supporters should hear.

Comment

• I still have a feeling Trump is going to try and discredit/circumvent the election to stay in power. Yeah it's a little tinfoily, but I wouldn't put anything past this fuggin guy.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            I still have a feeling Trump is going to try and discredit/circumvent the election to stay in power. Yeah it's a little tinfoily, but I wouldn't put anything past this fuggin guy.
                            If he tries any shenanigans after losing the election, you can be sure these protests/riots were child's play. Every Republican would disown him after a loss, and the pressure would be tremendous. There's no way he would pull any crap.

Comment

If he tries any shenanigans after losing the election, you can be sure these protests/riots were child's play. Every Republican would disown him after a loss, and the pressure would be tremendous. There's no way he would pull any crap.
                              I sincerely hope you are right.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Sure there is. Dispute the results because of CHI-na, battle in the courts until the certification deadline, then take it to the House for a rigged vote. Granted, if they try this, there will be mass riots, but Trump has repeatedly shown he couldn't care less if this country burns.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X