Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    I believe that the states can define how their votes get apportioned. If they want to split up their votes across the parties, I dont have an issue with it. It could likely help get both parties more active in the process in that state as they are competing for even the scraps.
    Wouldn't doing this just be the same as the popular vote? If a candidate wins 51% of the popular vote, wouldn't they then receive 51% of the EC votes?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Wouldn't doing this just be the same as the popular vote? If a candidate wins 51% of the popular vote, wouldn't they then receive 51% of the EC votes?
      Not really. It just shifts the "rounding" from the state level to the electoral college level.

The only way it would be exactly the same as the popular vote would be if states had fractional electoral college votes. i.e. if California had 55.2716328932964304300232 votes. In that case, if each state doled out their vote according to the popular vote within the state then it would match the overall popular.

But otherwise, you are still rounding early before summing (which is what is happening right now).

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        How the state would apportion their votes is up to them, but in your idea, you would have to win the popular vote in every state - meaning you would have to be active in each state to win the vote in each state.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• It's absurd that candidates don't have to campaign in every state.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• if voters didn't mindlessly stick to their tribes no matter what (which, if it wasn't obvious before.....) then things would be different.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              if voters didn't mindlessly stick to their tribes no matter what (which, if it wasn't obvious before.....) then things would be different.
              I have seen studies showing that Congress has become more polarized over the last 2-3 decades. Is there evidence this has happened among the voting public at large?
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                It's absurd that candidates don't have to campaign in every state.
                Why? (serious question, not trying to trap you, interested in the reasoning)

I would understand that point prior to mass communications. But these days a candidate can put out a message that is heard anywhere and everywhere, why does it matter that he or she is in a specific physical location?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Why? (serious question, not trying to trap you, interested in the reasoning)

I would understand that point prior to mass communications. But these days a candidate can put out a message that is heard anywhere and everywhere, why does it matter that he or she is in a specific physical location?
                  You're right, I was just poorly expressing my agreement that the EC should be abolished. Every vote should be counted equally IMO.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Every vote should be counted equally IMO.
                    I agree with you.

Comment

You're right, I was just poorly expressing my agreement that the EC should be abolished. Every vote should be counted equally IMO.
                      It seems that most of the modern arguments for the EC revolve around the idea that rural areas should get extra representation in the presidential election.

Or more nakedly, that Republican votes should count more. But people justify it on the basis of heartland values, rural values, frontier values, values of farming people needing to not be overrun by the citied elites who don't understand their needs. There is probably some truth to that, but given that the Senate is already skewed heavily that way, it seems overkill that the presidential election should also favor rural interests.

Obviously in the more distant past it was about balancing slave states and free states.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        I have seen studies showing that Congress has become more polarized over the last 2-3 decades. Is there evidence this has happened among the voting public at large?
                        iirc, more and more states have longer and longer consecutive streaks of always voting for the same party. Reagan won 49 states, I think, but over time, state voters I think mostly have strongly preferred a Presidential side in up to 40+ states. NH, MO, AZ, NC, and a handful of others beyond those mentioned haven't quite locked in their preference in cement just yet. but some are getting there.

it's not that you can't win a secondary tier of states - but you can only do it in a blowout, when you already have won the losable states.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          iirc, more and more states have longer and longer consecutive streaks of always voting for the same party. Reagan won 49 states, I think, but over time, state voters I think mostly have strongly preferred a Presidential side in up to 40+ states. NH, MO, AZ, NC, and a handful of others beyond those mentioned haven't quite locked in their preference in cement just yet. but some are getting there.

it's not that you can't win a secondary tier of states - but you can only do it in a blowout, when you already have won the losable states.
                          I'm sort of rolling this around in my own head, so I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this, but is what is happening at the state level a reflection of changes in the polarization or "locked-in-edness" of individual voters, or rather about some change in the geographic voting tendencies of the electorate?

In other words, for example, maybe the electorate has always been 40% committed Democrats, 40% committed Republicans, and 20% that can be swayed, but now the geographic distribution of that electorate is more distinct. If the South/Bible Belt is dominated by white evangelical voters who won't vote Democrat and New England and the Pacific Coast states are dominated by liberal city folk who won't vote Republican, that might lock up those states in the electoral college without necessarily meaning that the American voting public as whole is any more crystallized than it was in the past.

I'm not saying you're wrong about increasing polarization of the electorate. It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence. It may be that we only feel that way because of the way that our media consumption has changed.

Comment

• all of that is possible

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• CNN had a one-hour show tonight on "The Democratic Primary Draw." It's a shame Jim Nantz wasn't available.

After Elizabeth Warren got stuck with all the misfit toys last time, a new plan emerged.

first, the bottom 10 - five to each debate - were drawn out of a box. very similar to how Golf Channel does the WGC Match Play Championship draw each year. then came the middle six candidates - three each night.

then the Big 4 - two each night.

the results - drumroll please....

Tuesday, aka White Night
                              Bernie and Warren
                              Mayor Pete
                              Beto
                              Klobuchar
                              Delaney
                              Hickenlooper
                              Ryan
                              Bullock
                              Williamson

Wednesday
                              Biden and Harris - the Thrilla in Manila!
                              Booker
                              Castro
                              Yang
                              Gillibrand
                              Gabbard
                              Bennet
                              Inslee
                              de Blasio

this is a "single elimination format" for at least half of this crew. they're going to smaller brackets in September, so good time to upset some favorites to show your worth.
                              Last edited by Judge Jude; 07-18-2019, 08:49 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                ... It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.
                                I'm going to make this my new sig.
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X