Page 295 of 318 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 3180

Thread: Election 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Abandoning the EC is a pipe dream, but I really wish every state would adopt a split EC set up like Maine and Nebraska. It is a great solution that keeps the EC while making everyone's vote matter more, and ensuring a president tries to govern for all states, and not just ones he can win.
    I agree, and that idea just makes too much sense to me. It forces candidates on both sides of the aisle to care about your state. It makes me wonder what motivation each state has for not doing this? Is it just the dominant party in each state stomping it down?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I agree, and that idea just makes too much sense to me. It forces candidates on both sides of the aisle to care about your state. It makes me wonder what motivation each state has for not doing this? Is it just the dominant party in each state stomping it down?
    Yes, I imagine that is the case. It is surprising to me, though, that purple states that go back and forth don't go for this. It makes the stakes less all of nothing, but I am guessing such states like to feel more important, and splitting the EC may lessen the focus on them from presidential candidates.

If you're a Democrat in California or a Republican in Texas, you don't want to do this because it will cost your party 10-15 electoral votes, which is a huge cost to pay for the added attention your state would get in the campaign.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    If you're a Democrat in California or a Republican in Texas, you don't want to do this because it will cost your party 10-15 electoral votes, which is a huge cost to pay for the added attention your state would get in the campaign.
    Right, which is why I'd think purple states would be more likely to do this, but if they do, I guess presidents would campaign there less. To me, that would be a benefit. Being in Florida during an election is non-stop ads. It gets old.

Democrat Steve Beshear has defeated incumbent GOP Gov. Matt Bevin despite Trump making at least 5 appearances in the state, including just the other day. Bevin, although unpopular, won the 2015 race by 9 pts in a state Trump won by 30.

Dems appear poised to flip the House and Senate in Virginia, controlling both for the first time since 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Democrat Steve Beshear has defeated incumbent GOP Gov. Matt Bevin despite Trump making at least 5 appearances in the state, including just the other day. Bevin, although unpopular, won the 2015 race by 9 pts in a state Trump won by 30.
    Ha, that is a blast from my past living in Kentucky. I think you mean Andy Beshear, his son, although I bet his pop could have won too. If he is anything like his pop, he will be a blue dog, but that is to be expected in Kentucky, and a massive upgrade over a guy who was ruining education in KY (and that is saying something).
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 11-05-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Journeyman
    Ha, that is a blast from my past living in Kentucky. I think you mean Andy Beshear, his son, although I bet his pop could have won too. If he is anything like his pop, he will be a blue dog, but that is to be expected in Kentucky, and a massive upgrade over a guy who was ruining education in KY (and that is saying something).
    Where did you live in Ky? I spent 14 years just south of Lex Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    Where did you live in Ky? I spent 14 years just south of Lex Vegas
    I think we had this convo...maybe, my memory ain't what it used to be. I lived in Louisville for 5 years.

Journeyman
    I think we had this convo...maybe, my memory ain't what it used to be. I lived in Louisville for 5 years.
    Yeah, I think you're right, lol.
    I am getting too old--sorry