Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    And yet we've seen all too often those Trump "non-supporters" either defend his policies or criticize those pointing out whenever Trump does something despicable which is, you know, daily. It's not our fault your fellow Republicans elected this fucking piece of dog shit. Maybe you didn't vote for him, great, but your party did. Own that shit. Because it's going to own you (i.e., Republicans) for the remainder of our lives.
    Yeah, in case you've missed my posting for the past for the past 10-12 years, I've voted third party the majority of the time, but perhaps you've been so focused on raging against anyone with an opposing view you haven't really noticed.

To use an analogy, we all knew that kid in elementary school who sucked at baseball, but thought he has was the shit. You play with him, and berate him so bad for his poor play (while he thinks he's good) he takes his ball and goes home. Well, now yo have no chance to show the guy just how wrong he is about his skills, or help him along to be better. That's exactly what has happened here, but enjoy the circle-jerk, if that's what you think makes RJ and Sports Bar a great place to be.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Can we keep the baseball stuff out of the hot topics board ?
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        Can we keep the baseball stuff out of the hot topics board ?
        heh.

Also your star doesn't work,

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Feral Slasher again."
        -- I tried.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
          Yeah, in case you've missed my posting for the past for the past 10-12 years, I've voted third party the majority of the time, but perhaps you've been so focused on raging against anyone with an opposing view you haven't really noticed.

To use an analogy, we all knew that kid in elementary school who sucked at baseball, but thought he has was the shit. You play with him, and berate him so bad for his poor play (while he thinks he's good) he takes his ball and goes home. Well, now yo have no chance to show the guy just how wrong he is about his skills, or help him along to be better. That's exactly what has happened here, but enjoy the circle-jerk, if that's what you think makes RJ and Sports Bar a great place to be.
          I'm super glad that Chancellor isn't here anymore, spouting his racist garbage and global warming conspiracy theories. He left because HE was seeking a safe space, a circle jerk, etc. What do you think he gets from Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, etc? Think he's challenging his own perceptions off in the wilderness, or do you think maybe HE wanted more of an echo chamber like environment where his idiocy wouldn't be called to question?
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            heh.

Also your star doesn't work,

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Feral Slasher again."
            -- I tried.
            It worked for me. What did you encounter?

Comment

• I try not to post much in this forum recently because I have not found the discussion to be productive. I don't think that has much to do with people who have left the board recently, or who left out of frustration with the dialogue in this forum. (Maybe more to do with people who left longer ago before this forum was even a thing.) In general, the posting on the RJ board as a whole has dropped off, and that has left people posting in this forum who care more passionately about still discussing things here.

And Donald Trump has obviously changed the dialogue, and to ignore that misses the elephant in the room.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I don't agree with this statement. There's no party that I align with currently, mainly because both of our prevailing parties are so polarized that I'm not clear on how anyone can get behind 100% of what is being pushed. But even if I did, the fact that "my" party puts forward a particular candidate doesn't mean that I personally support him.

For example, it's interesting to replace the word "party" with "country" in this instance. In that case, it oddly applies to all of us (well other than you Canadians, eh?)

"Maybe you didn't vote for him, great, but your country did. Own that shit. Because it's going to own you (i.e., Americans) for the remainder of our lives."
                I disagree with this analogy because Trump enjoys almost universal approval among Republicans whereas his net approval across the entire country has been negative every single day of his presidency. I will grant that those who didn't vote for him aren't as responsible, but they are vastly outnumbered by those who did. And if anti-Trump Republicans were seriously interested in removing him, they're run a legitimate primary challenge. I'm not holding my breath.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I disagree with this analogy because Trump enjoys almost universal approval among Republicans whereas his net approval across the entire country has been negative every single day of his presidency. I will grant that those who didn't vote for him aren't as responsible, but they are vastly outnumbered by those who did. And if anti-Trump Republicans were seriously interested in removing him, they're run a legitimate primary challenge. I'm not holding my breath.
                  I'm not following you. I may just be missing the point entirely (saying that honestly not sarcastically).

Trump has a 88% approval rating among Republicans, while just a 42% overall. I see that side, you are right.

But those 12% of Republicans who watched as their own party won the presidency with a pathetic candidate who doesn't represent them are instructed to "own It", while the Democrats who did not get out and vote against him aren't responsible for him? Seems like if you are asking Republicans who can't stand Trump to "own it", you should be asking everyone to "own it". I'm not seeing how the fact that they are in the minority in their own party makes them somehow more responsible for him than the other party, who lost the election. If anything, we need to be angry at the Dems who didn't get out and vote, right? Wasn't that the problem?

There was literally a "never Trump" faction of the Republican party that tried to prevent this debacle. You are saying they need to "own it" and Dems don't? Seems odd.

As far as a primary challenge it seems like you are contradicting yourself here - with almost universal approval among Republicans how would a contrarian Republican stand a chance in the primaries? The only chance is in the general election. And that's no fault of the dissenting Republican.
                  Last edited by Ken; 08-15-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken
                    I literally posted what I encountered

** It doesn't let you rep the same person twice in a row.

** Edited to add - or twice with some unclear time period. I rep'd you when this feature first came out and I can't do it again.
                    Thanks. I changed a few settings that may make it easier.

Comment

I'm not following you. I may just be missing the point entirely (saying that honestly not sarcastically).

Trump has a 88% approval rating among Republicans, while just a 42% overall. I see that side, you are right.

But those 12% of Republicans who watched as their own party won the presidency with a pathetic candidate who doesn't represent them are instructed to "own It", while the Democrats who did not get out and vote against him aren't responsible for him? Seems like if you are asking Republicans who can't stand Trump to "own it", you should be asking everyone to "own it". I'm not seeing how the fact that they are in the minority in their own party makes them somehow more responsible for him than the other party, who lost the election. If anything, we need to be angry at the Dems who didn't get out and vote, right? Wasn't that the problem?

There was literally a "never Trump" faction of the Republican party that tried to prevent this debacle. You are saying they need to "own it" and Dems don't? Seems odd.

As far as a primary challenge it seems like you are contradicting yourself here - with almost universal approval among Republicans how would a contrarian Republican stand a chance in the primaries? The only chance is in the general election. And that's no fault of the dissenting Republican.
                      To a degree, yes we as Americans all have to own Trump as our president. And I'm not placing particular blame among the "never Trumpers"; I roundly criticized the "never Hillary" folks who didn't understand how critical it was too defeat him. And let's be honest, many of those same "never Trumpers" quickly fell in line after he won, no matter how badly he treated them (e.g Ted Cruz). Similarly, most Republicans who despised him quickly found reasons to enable if not condone his behaviors as POTUS (e.g., judges and tax cuts).

My point is that Trump ascended through the Republican Party and is not the root cause of the increase in problems we're seeing today but rather a symptom of them. The GOP has for decades (since Nixon) played on white fragility/fear/racism as a winning electoral strategy. There is no chance someone like Trump could be elected POTUS as a Democrat.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Latest Fox News poll shows Dopey gettin his whuppin:

Code:
                        General Election: Trump vs. Biden	FOX News	Biden 50, Trump 38	Biden +12
                        General Election: Trump vs. Warren	FOX News	Warren 46, Trump 39	Warren +7
                        General Election: Trump vs. Sanders	FOX News	Sanders 48, Trump 39	Sanders +9
                        General Election: Trump vs. Harris	FOX News	Harris 45, Trump 39	Harris +6

Comment

• after reading political polls from both the U.S. and Canada, I no longer believe them to be accurate. hilliary vs trump; wynn vs ford; notley vs kenney. imho, when left leaning msm is presenting, it seems like they are pushing a left leaning msm agenda.

that said, I have no horse in the U.S. election but seems no different in the States then what I see here in Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                            when left leaning msm is presenting, it seems like they are pushing a left leaning msm agenda.
                            fox news leans left??

Comment

fox news leans left??
                              when it comes to "news" providers, I think they all lie, publish according to their own agenda. fox...yes. cnn...yes.

Comment

• First that link basically shows them nailing the popular vote. Second they gave him a 3/10 chance of winning which is not like they said he had 1%. 3/10 is not something I would be willing to bet my life on. A few of the state polls were off but less than 100K votes swung the election. The 2018 polls were pretty much right on for the house...

538 also had the senate going the way it went correctly, they had lean misses in IN and FL and how close Mizzou would be, but they projected retention of the Senate was at 80% for the R's and they held it. The Dems path to victory was really narrow, but possible so they had a 2/10 chance. The only missed calls were FL and IN of 35 and they had the two toss ups with each party getting one.

So I still believe in aggregate of polls and I like the way 538 weighs the polls for historical bias.

Comment

Working...
                                X