No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I asked this before and got no response, but why did Obama and Hillary get a pass when they trotted out the "My views on the issue of evolved." It seems like TW, you don't think that flies with Biden, yet I think his track record in the recent years shows he has moved away from those position that you want an apology to be made.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      I noticed that every time Warren and Sanders attack Biden's record, they preface it by complimenting his character. He's a nice guy, we've known each other for a long time, I respect him... then BAM! Very civilized, and I like that they're emphasizing policy over personality. The entire field will be able to sideline Biden once his record is viewed with any scrutiny.
      I mean, yeah, this is what you ideally want politicians to be doing. If a candidate is a scumbag, call him out as such, but if not, stick to policy. Voters need to know where candidates differ on key issues. So, yeah, what Sanders and Warren are calling out on Biden is not only fair, it is a public service. I hope the debates focus on such differences too.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
        Mike Pence’s voting record was/is minimally important?
        To my Trump vs Clinton decision? Yes. How about to yours?

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
          I asked this before and got no response, but why did Obama and Hillary get a pass when they trotted out the "My views on the issue of evolved." It seems like TW, you don't think that flies with Biden, yet I think his track record in the recent years shows he has moved away from those position that you want an apology to be made.
          Obama only had to do that on one issue, really - gay marriage. And his evolution was relatively in sync with the evolution of the American people on the same issue. Hillary Clinton leaned in a bit on her record of foreign policy toughness, and it earned her some neocon votes while potentially losing her some progressive/libertarian ones, but it wasn't given a "pass", IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            To my Trump vs Clinton decision? Yes. How about to yours?
            Voted for Johnson. Pence had no impact. But I remember a lot of articles (and posts in here) that spilled a lot of angst that I guy with his voting record would be on the ticket.
            I stand my position that Biden was vetted twice as VP, elected and re-elected without much pushback on his votes from 20-40 years ago. Seems like it isn’t going to have much impact with actual Democratic voters to bring those votes up now.
            Last edited by nots; 05-01-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Voted for Johnson. Pence had no impact. But I remember a lot of articles (and posts in here) that spilled a lot of angst that I guy with his voting record would be on the ticket.
              I stand my position that Biden was vetted twice as VO, elected and reflected without much pushback on his votes from 20-40 years ago. Seems like it isn’t going to have much impact with actual Democratic voters to bring those votes up now.
              People will talk ad nauseum about anything. Sarah Palin was probably the most-dissected vice presidential pick in my memory. Yet how much did he she actually sway the presidential vote one way or another? I doubt it was very much.

Dick Cheney was obviously an exception to the "vice presidents don't matter" rule, but I don't think he swayed many votes in the election, either. People didn't know or expect that he would have as much influence as he did.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I stand my position that Biden was vetted twice as VO, elected and reflected without much pushback on his votes from 20-40 years ago. Seems like it isn’t going to have much impact with actual Democratic voters to bring those votes up now.
                Maybe. But I think his "uninspiring" record from a liberal perspective is a big reason his earlier runs for president never gained much primary traction. He's obviously a very likeable guy, with generally good relationships on Capital Hill, which is a big part of the reason that Obama chose him as a running mate. He's better positioned now than he was in his prior runs, though, because as VP for eight years he was a well-liked, feel-good mainstay of a well-liked, feel-good administration, at least from the perspective of Democrats. And I think that's why his polling is so much better now than it ever was when he was running as the Senator from Delaware.

Comment

• As an moderate independent, here's where I'm at right now:

Biden would get my vote.
                  Klobuchar wold get my vote.

Many I still need to hear more from to earn my vote (Booker, Gabbard, Harris, etc).

Those who have an uphill battle Sanders (a little too far out there for me), Warren (she has more ground to make up than Bernie), Buttigieg and Betos (not enough experience). In these cases, I would look at third party candidates.

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

I stand my position that Biden was vetted twice as VP, elected and re-elected without much pushback on his votes from 20-40 years ago. Seems like it isn’t going to have much impact with actual Democratic voters to bring those votes up now.
                    I share your cynicism about the DCCC and Democratic establishment doing everything they can to support Biden, if he appears to be the centrist to break away from the pack. But I have more trust in the voters to figure it out and vote against the establishment pick than you do.
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

As an moderate independent, here's where I'm at right now:

Biden would get my vote.
                      Klobuchar wold get my vote.

Many I still need to hear more from to earn my vote (Booker, Gabbard, Harris, etc).

Those who have an uphill battle Sanders (a little too far out there for me), Warren (she has more ground to make up than Bernie), Buttigieg and Betos (not enough experience). In these cases, I would look at third party candidates.
                      To folks concerned about Sanders and Warren being too far left, and that pushing them to 3rd party, I get the concerns, but I implore you to consider how unlikely it is that either would get everything they want. They will be pulling farther left than others, but that doesn't mean policies end up that far left. I hope that ends up swaying people to vote for the Dem candidate no matter who it is, because a 3rd party vote just makes it more likely Trump wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        To folks concerned about Sanders and Warren being too far left, and that pushing them to 3rd party, I get the concerns, but I implore you to consider how unlikely it is that either would get everything they want. They will be pulling farther left than others, but that doesn't mean policies end up that far left. I hope that ends up swaying people to vote for the Dem candidate no matter who it is, because a 3rd party vote just makes it more likely Trump wins.
                        Agreed. I ultimately don't think there's any chance that the GOP will suffer enough losses to allow a progressive/left President to dictate policy without need for compromise/moderation. (Note that many of the 2018 Democratic House pickups were swing districts won by moderates, like Mikie Sherrill of the NJ 11th CD.

Comment

Agreed. I ultimately don't think there's any chance that the GOP will suffer enough losses to allow a progressive/left President to dictate policy without need for compromise/moderation. (Note that many of the 2018 Democratic House pickups were swing districts won by moderates, like Mikie Sherrill of the NJ 11th CD.
                          So your saying a winning strategy for Democrats is a moderate...hmm, who'd of thought...

Comment

So your saying a winning strategy for Democrats is a moderate...hmm, who'd of thought...
                            Not necessarily. I'm saying that the checks and balances of the US Government would temper the pace of change that even the most progressive president could reasonably hope to execute. The winning strategy for the Democrats is someone whose platform and personal qualities can turn out the right voters for him or her in the critical swing states. I think that either a progressive or a moderate could potentially do that if they focus on the right issues and concerns.

Comment

Not necessarily. I'm saying that the checks and balances of the US Government would temper the pace of change that even the most progressive president could reasonably hope to execute. The winning strategy for the Democrats is someone whose platform and personal qualities can turn out the right voters for him or her in the critical swing states. I think that either a progressive or a moderate could potentially do that if they focus on the right issues and concerns.
                              That is a good point. How far left or center a candidate is may matter less, especially in key states and districts, than the issues they focus on and how they communicate with key voters on those issues in a way that appeals to them.

Comment

• sad to say, but I think 2016 taught us that only those Rust Belt states matter - the same ones that Michael Moore predicted would hand the election to Trump. the 2-time Obama voters who flipped to Trump.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X