Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Andrew Yang is a bigger threat to Bernie than Biden, imo, because they're fighting for the same base. Yang made strong appearances on Joe Rogan and Breakfast Club, and UBI could be the one policy that could pull voters away from Sanders within the progressive base of the party.
    Or Buttigieg. I do think that as the less well known candidates get more well known, some young voters may move away from Bernie toward a younger progressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      Or Buttigieg. I do think that as the less well known candidates get more well known, some young voters may move away from Bernie toward a younger progressive.
      I would worry about that more if Bernie wasn't reaching out to centrists, but his embrace of identity politics means he's running double barrel on the most popular policies as well as a compelling personal story. Targeting every segment of the Dem voter base, I think his strategy will be highly successful. Look at the chuckle he gets over his Trump joke about allowance. He's relatable and likable despite being a gruff and repetitive ancient politician. He's also speaking in a lot of the populist anti-establishment messaging that Trump won using. They've got nothing that can outflank Bernie on policy or personality, other than a Hail Mary UBI policy from Yang, but that might only happen if Feb's brutal job numbers continue for another year plus.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Andrew Yang is a bigger threat to Bernie than Biden, imo, because they're fighting for the same base. Yang made strong appearances on Joe Rogan and Breakfast Club, and UBI could be the one policy that could pull voters away from Sanders within the progressive base of the party.
        I liked Yang's take on UBI on Rogan. He seems like a smart guy, but it doesn't seem like he will get much traction. I also liked his take on why free college for all may not be the best solution to the tuition crisis in this country.

Comment

• whats up with the position of breaking up facebook, google and amazon because they are so-called too big? anyone have an opinion on the position. not to be misogynist but i say that's wacko-talk. heh

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I liked Yang's take on UBI on Rogan. He seems like a smart guy, but it doesn't seem like he will get much traction. I also liked his take on why free college for all may not be the best solution to the tuition crisis in this country.
            Saw this article today. Whether or not now is the right time, I think it is good that this concept is being discussed

Andrew Yang has a one word answer for why he’s running for president in 2020. It’s not Trump, or healthcare, or fame. It’s automation: the way in which machines are taking away jobs already and are set to take away many more in the future. “To me, this is an elephant in the room that’s stomping around and making a mess and everyone seems to be ignoring it,” he says.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Beto O’Rourke finally enters the race. Now we’re just waiting on the front-runner!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Beto O’Rourke finally enters the race. Now we’re just waiting on the front-runner!
                Also waiting on Stacey Abrams, who said that a 2020 run is definitely on the table for her. Anecdotally from my friends, she is far more popular with less equivocation among Black voters than the other Black/mixed candidates in the race so far, Harris and Booker. If she runs, I suspect it would immediately change the nature of the primaries, given the overwhelming power of Black voters in the Democratic primary process, particularly in the southern states.

Comment

• I am wondering how much president* Trump's lack of experience has encouraged people without a long standing political career to run. And then how much of his failure/flaws would translate similarly to other inexperienced president (or is is just him?)
                  or did di really start with Obama? - 7 years state senator - 1/2 senate term - president

Comment

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... you'll never get fooled again.

The age of the horoscope President (project your own values onto them), is over. Obama/Hillary are the exact reason you have Trump. Voters won't allow another neo-liberal to win the primary, only to nosedive and crash and burn.
                    I heard someone on MSNBC make a similar point in regards to Beto, although their takeaway was that the horoscope candidate is still a viable lane in 2019. "While he's taken some criticism for not really standing for much just yet, that idea of being a blank canvasse that voters can fill in, that worked for Barack Obama in 2007." Wow, what a dumbass. Also, how much disdain for the intellect of voters does it show to suggest standing for nothing is a positive attribute?
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I heard someone on MSNBC make a similar point in regards to Beto, although their takeaway was that the horoscope candidate is still a viable lane in 2019. "While he's taken some criticism for not really standing for much just yet, that idea of being a blank canvasse that voters can fill in, that worked for Barack Obama in 2007." Wow, what a dumbass. Also, how much disdain for the intellect of voters does it show to suggest standing for nothing is a positive attribute?
                      While he does not yet have a signature issue that would help define his candidacy and help him stand out in a crowded field, it's not like he hasn't articulated positions on important issues. Here is an article that outlines some of those positions: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/u...he-issues.html

The short of it is that he is for the Dream Act and a path to citizenship, he is against the wall, he is for stricter gun controls, he supports universal healthcare, he is for criminal justice reform, and he is against Trump's tarriffs.

He seems pretty progressive on most issues. He does need to find his voice and get more specific, but why the hate from the progressive side? He seems closer to that side than the centrist side.

Comment

While he does not yet have a signature issue that would help define his candidacy and help him stand out in a crowded field, it's not like he hasn't articulated positions on important issues. Here is an article that outlines some of those positions: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/u...he-issues.html

The short of it is that he is for the Dream Act and a path to citizenship, he is against the wall, he is for stricter gun controls, he supports universal healthcare, he is for criminal justice reform, and he is against Trump's tarriffs.

He seems pretty progressive on most issues. He does need to find his voice and get more specific, but why the hate from the progressive side? He seems closer to that side than the centrist side.
                        I don't have an opinion of Beto yet. I do read lots of people who do. This one highlights some reasons progressives might not like him

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          I don't have an opinion of Beto yet. I do read lots of people who do. This one highlights some reasons progressives might not like him

https://twitter.com/SilERabbit/statu...3-14-2019.html
                          Should he get a pass for any questionable votes because of where he got elected, Texas? Are there examples of folks with a more progressive voting record from staunchly red areas? I am sincerely asking on both counts, as I don't know.

Comment

Should he get a pass for any questionable votes because of where he got elected, Texas? Are there examples of folks with a more progressive voting record from staunchly red areas? I am sincerely asking on both counts, as I don't know.
                            I certainly don't know the answer to the second question. Regarding getting a pass because he is from Texas - that's a hard one. I tend to hate those kind of arguments because I think they can easily be used to excuse/rationalize a lot. However, if you are running for Senate in Texas you need to consider the people voting.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I read part of his Vanity Fair article. Seems like a nice guy, I guess. But why would anyone vote for him to be our president ? Someone convince me.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                I read part of his Vanity Fair article. Seems like a nice guy, I guess. But why would anyone vote for him to be our president ? Someone convince me.
                                I think it's way too early for me to try to convince anyone to choose one candidate from the field of announced candidates, let alone for me to allow anyone to convince me to settle on one candidate. I'm planning on waiting until at least the first round of debates. There's not a single announced candidate that I've ruled out or would rule out at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X