Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from the Wall Street Journal:

"If these are your two options to win back the White House, Democrats, which way are you leaning?

“The first is to win back the “blue wall” states Mr. Trump snatched away in 2016 — Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. This approach would require a candidate moderate enough to appeal to rural and working-class voters.

"The second strategy is to target the Southern and Sunbelt states — North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Arizona, Texas — where the longstanding Republican advantage is narrow or eroding.”

yes. but in neither case is a vigorously progressive play going to work (unless there is such a tidal wave that it won't matter what states to seek. but how many of those states seem ripe for the picking?)
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      from the Wall Street Journal:

"If these are your two options to win back the White House, Democrats, which way are you leaning?

“The first is to win back the “blue wall” states Mr. Trump snatched away in 2016 — Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. This approach would require a candidate moderate enough to appeal to rural and working-class voters.

"The second strategy is to target the Southern and Sunbelt states — North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Arizona, Texas — where the longstanding Republican advantage is narrow or eroding.”

yes. but in neither case is a vigorously progressive play going to work (unless there is such a tidal wave that it won't matter what states to seek. but how many of those states seem ripe for the picking?)
      Okay, show me where this is bearing out in reality.

By your logic, there must me some huge groundswell of support for a moderate centrist Dem like Klobuchar. So then why is Klobuchar already DOA? Why is Julian Castro DOA? Why is Cory Booker DOA? Joe Biden DOA, why do you think I'm so enthusiastic that Biden run? All of the guys who chase the right wing scraps instead of the radically far left under 40, they're trying their own noose. Hear me now, believe me later.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Here we go again:

It’s almost like they have an agenda.....

Comment

• Former Colorado governor John Hickenlooper officially tosses his hat into the very crowded ring.

Comment

• "By your logic, there must me some huge groundswell of support for a moderate centrist Dem like Klobuchar. So then why is Klobuchar already DOA? Why is Julian Castro DOA? Why is Cory Booker DOA? Joe Biden DOA, why do you think I'm so enthusiastic that Biden run? All of the guys who chase the right wing scraps instead of the radically far left under 40, they're trying their own noose. Hear me now, believe me later."

do you have any track record of a publicly-stated sentiment of yours being reflected later in actual surprising election results?

I'm also unaware that so many candidates have been eliminated nearly a year before the first primary. you must be killing it in the futures markets!

and beyond all that, why ignore the question of Rust Belt and Sun Belt strategies?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              from the Wall Street Journal:

One writers opinion from the wall street journal? You must be joking.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Hillary? is that you?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  Okay, show me where this is bearing out in reality.

By your logic, there must me some huge groundswell of support for a moderate centrist Dem like Klobuchar. So then why is Klobuchar already DOA? Why is Julian Castro DOA? Why is Cory Booker DOA? Joe Biden DOA, why do you think I'm so enthusiastic that Biden run? All of the guys who chase the right wing scraps instead of the radically far left under 40, they're trying their own noose. Hear me now, believe me later.
                  I don't think anyone has been DOA, but it's particularly strange you would tag Biden as such when he still clearly performs best across all polling, whether among prospective primary options or for the general election, nationally and state-by-state. That said, I do think that a populist/progressive economic message like Sanders's could be equally effective at winning the rust belt, versus a more moderate/centrist message. Both reach "blue collar" folks in different ways, with one (centrism) likely to play better among older working class whites, and the other (economic populism) likely to play better among younger working class whites.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    I don't think anyone has been DOA, but it's particularly strange you would tag Biden as such when he still clearly performs best across all polling, whether among prospective primary options or for the general election, nationally and state-by-state. That said, I do think that a populist/progressive economic message like Sanders's could be equally effective at winning the rust belt, versus a more moderate/centrist message. Both reach "blue collar" folks in different ways, with one (centrism) likely to play better among older working class whites, and the other (economic populism) likely to play better among younger working class whites.
                    Going after blue collar votes would mean a 180° turn, away from medicare for all, away from ACA, away from BLM and antifa, toward border security and only legal immigration. The Democratic party flipped them the bird and they noticed.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      Going after blue collar votes would mean a 180° turn, away from medicare for all, away from ACA, away from BLM and antifa, toward border security and only legal immigration. The Democratic party flipped them the bird and they noticed.

J
                      I'm quite confident that you're wrong on Medicaid-for-All. I think that's a winner with folks of modest income and folks in collective bargaining units. If you can take health benefits out of the bargaining equation between employers and employees, there is much more room for steady wage increases. I also have to laugh at your suggestion that the Democratic Party is pro-Antifa, lol.

Comment

I'm quite confident that you're wrong on Medicaid-for-All. I think that's a winner with folks of modest income and folks in collective bargaining units. If you can take health benefits out of the bargaining equation between employers and employees, there is much more room for steady wage increases. I also have to laugh at your suggestion that the Democratic Party is pro-Antifa, lol.
                        the one that I particularly liked is that there is a party that is pro-illegal immigration and against border security.

"I remember driving to US from Canada back when Obama was president - it was great, you could drive right through, no checks, ... it was great! "
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I agree with everything you say here. Biden looks strong from what little polling I have seen.
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

1J and JJ like to label policies extreme and unpopular even when they are actually favored by a majority of the population. And the pro-Antifa part was ridiculous
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• "and JJ like to label policies extreme and unpopular even when they are actually favored by a majority of the population"

please show your work in order to receive university credit

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I think union support for Medicaid for All comes down to if the unions are allowed to keep their private insurance plans or if they have to use Medicare for All. Many different unions have bargained for very good health plans— I don’t see them being all that amienable to switching over, especailly if they consider MFA inferior coverage ( which it may or may or not be but that is likely to be the perception).

Comment

Working...
                                X