Tokyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo

My brother does business in Japan and goes there for a week every month/2 months. He's been inviting me for a while, and now that I'm (f)unemployed I thought I'd join him. Headed over the second week of December.

I have zero clue about the trip. No expectations, nothing I want to see, so I'm having a hard time getting excited. What should I do? What should I be looking forward to? What should I expect? He's going to be busy working during most of the days so I may be on my own... I fear I'm going to be sitting around a hotel waiting for him to show up and take me around.

Suggestions/Thoughts/Advice all welcome!
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Good for you!

I have no idea. Just stretch yourself and do not stay in the hotel no matter what.

Have a blast!

Comment

Didn't Fresno have a good story about Japan involving a girl and a sack of tennis balls? Is that still on the table?
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        What should I be looking forward to? What should I expect? !
        Women wearing short skirts?
        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
          Women wearing short skirts?
          and playing guitars.

Comment

I've been to Japan twice and I think it's a great country for Western tourists. Wish I had the money to go again now. I like to galavant around the country so I dont know if I can provide too many specific ideas on what to do or see. I would suggest some easy day trips from Tokyo. Like the Great Buddha at Kamakura, the 5 Sacred Lakes region of Mt Fuji (if you're lucky, you might even see it!), Nikko City and Kegon Falls, Matsumoto Castle. Around Tokyo itself, there are plenty of nice musuems. Also you can tour the Imperial grounds where the Emperor lives. There are a lot of "theme" cafes, like Robot Cafe, Maid Cafe, Owl Cafe (I'd like to see that one!). There's Anime Town in Akihabara if you're into that. It not baseball season now but at the Tokyo Dome they have the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame. If you like Jazz, which you probably dont, the Tokyo Blue Note is the premier place to see it in the country (kind of expensive, tho). CAnt really suggest any restaurants because I dont pay much attention to them when I travel. One of the most enjoyable things for me when I travel is renting a car and driving around. In order to do this, you have to get an international driver's license which you have to get before you go. It's easy tho. I got mine at the AAA and all you have to do is fill out a form and pay about $15-20. They drive on the left over there but it's easy to get used to, w a couple caveats.

Few people speak much English but that shouldnt be a problem as many can speak enough to answer basic tourist questions. And many signs are also in English. The people seem to make it a point to be friendly and helpful to tourists.

You should have a great time. Enjoy!

Comment

You have to pay extra for the tennis ball room
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                and playing guitars.
                Exactly!
                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Rhd covered the must-do’s - Imperial Palace and grounds even in winter is amazing, the Great Buddha at Kamakura is a great day trip. Only thing he didn’t mention is Akihabara, the electronics district. That place is wild if you’re a gadget guy.

Within Tokyo, take the train everywhere. Heck, for most places, I’d take the train rather than drive. But remember that personal space on a Japanese train usually doesn’t exist.

Get ramen oishii from street vendors - it’s some of the best street food I’ve ever had.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I envy you and all the lucky bastards who have posted that have been. It is at the top of my bucket list. I hope you share your experiences when you get back.

Comment

wandering around Tokyo at night is like being in Bladerunner, go play some pachinko
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X