Gun violence epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "the population". Almost everyone I know feels pretty much the same as those who have posted on this thread.
    I guess I mean, do you think the constituency in Texas will vote this issue and elect those who might make a change.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• If Texas has any sensibility at all, these words from Governor Abbott should end his political career forever:

"Let me emphasize something that I know you all know. The reality is, as horrible as what happened, it could have been worse," Abbott said.

"The reason it was not worse is because law enforcement officials did what they do. They showed amazing courage by running toward gunfire for the singular purpose of trying to save lives," he added.

"And it is a fact that because of their quick response, getting on the scene of being able to respond to the gunman and eliminating the gunman, they were able to save lives. Unfortunately, not enough," Abbott said. "But I want to make sure that everybody knows all of the law enforcement agencies and groups that are involved and were involved in this process."

Unfortunately, Abbott has already shown himself to be a vile, despicable political animal many, many times before. In a state that rewards horrific human beings like Ted Cruz and Greg Abbott with top level leadership positions, clearly we shouldn't hold out much hope that this most recent bout of indecency and prevarication will somehow be the straw that broke the camel's back. I certainly hope I'm wrong. Texas is circling the drain.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I guess I mean, do you think the constituency in Texas will vote this issue and elect those who might make a change.
        No I dont think so

Comment

• I finally tested negative today, after two weeks, and felt well enough to venture out to pick up a pizza at my favorite pizza place in town. It was not ready when I got there, so I went across the street to a liquor store to pick up some Scotch. While there, I couldn't help but cough so I apologized to the guy brushing past me. He said no worries, seeing I was masked. I pay and leave to get my pizza. It couldn't have been more than two minutes, in and out. Coming out, I saw the guy I brushed past opening up his car right behind me. Across the street, an older guy got out of his pick up with a toy poodle staring out of the front seat. He started to cross over and the guy behind me starts telling him to stay away. The older guy keeps coming and the guy behind me reaches into his car and stuffs something into his pants, but I don't see it. I'm pretty sure it was a hand gun.

The guy comes over unphased by the fact that this much bigger dude seems to have just armed himself and gets into his face trying to give him $5 for some reason. The guy with a gun now under his shirt is telling him that he is trying to maintain calm, but if he doesn't back away, he will kill him. The unphased, crazy guy trying to give $5 to a guy who clearly does not want it is against the back of my car so I can't pull away. he just keeps trying to hand this other guy with a gun $5 and it is making him madder and madder. I can see him fidgeting with his shirt telling this guy "I have kids, so I don't want to do this, but if you don't fucking walk away right now I am going to fucking kill you."

Across the street I see another guy filming with his phone. The guy who might get shot is lined up in my rear window with me so if a shot is fired I could get hit. I can't pull forward as the car in front of me is too close and if I back up at all, I'm hitting this guy. Luckily, right when I thought he was going to pull the gun, the guy wit the $5 just puts it on the floor in front of the guy right behind my car and walks back to his car. The gun guy is yelling that he doesn't want his $5 and that he needs to take it back, but it blew away and I was able to pull away. This happened 5 blocks from where a 12 year old was just murdered earlier this month in a drive by. I will say again, there are too many crazy people out there with too easy access to guns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I finally tested negative today, after two weeks, and felt well enough to venture out to pick up a pizza at my favorite pizza place in town. It was not ready when I got there, so I went across the street to a liquor store to pick up some Scotch. While there, I couldn't help but cough so I apologized to the guy brushing past me. He said no worries, seeing I was masked. I pay and leave to get my pizza. It couldn't have been more than two minutes, in and out. Coming out, I saw the guy I brushed past opening up his car right behind me. Across the street, an older guy got out of his pick up with a toy poodle staring out of the front seat. He started to cross over and the guy behind me starts telling him to stay away. The older guy keeps coming and the guy behind me reaches into his car and stuffs something into his pants, but I don't see it. I'm pretty sure it was a hand gun.

The guy comes over unphased by the fact that this much bigger dude seems to have just armed himself and gets into his face trying to give him $5 for some reason. The guy with a gun now under his shirt is telling him that he is trying to maintain calm, but if he doesn't back away, he will kill him. The unphased, crazy guy trying to give $5 to a guy who clearly does not want it is against the back of my car so I can't pull away. he just keeps trying to hand this other guy with a gun $5 and it is making him madder and madder. I can see him fidgeting with his shirt telling this guy "I have kids, so I don't want to do this, but if you don't fucking walk away right now I am going to fucking kill you."

Across the street I see another guy filming with his phone. The guy who might get shot is lined up in my rear window with me so if a shot is fired I could get hit. I can't pull forward as the car in front of me is too close and if I back up at all, I'm hitting this guy. Luckily, right when I thought he was going to pull the gun, the guy wit the $5 just puts it on the floor in front of the guy right behind my car and walks back to his car. The gun guy is yelling that he doesn't want his $5 and that he needs to take it back, but it blew away and I was able to pull away. This happened 5 blocks from where a 12 year old was just murdered earlier this month in a drive by. I will say again, there are too many crazy people out there with too easy access to guns.
            'Murica! Land of the free!
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I finally tested negative today, after two weeks, and felt well enough to venture out to pick up a pizza at my favorite pizza place in town. It was not ready when I got there, so I went across the street to a liquor store to pick up some Scotch. While there, I couldn't help but cough so I apologized to the guy brushing past me. He said no worries, seeing I was masked. I pay and leave to get my pizza. It couldn't have been more than two minutes, in and out. Coming out, I saw the guy I brushed past opening up his car right behind me. Across the street, an older guy got out of his pick up with a toy poodle staring out of the front seat. He started to cross over and the guy behind me starts telling him to stay away. The older guy keeps coming and the guy behind me reaches into his car and stuffs something into his pants, but I don't see it. I'm pretty sure it was a hand gun.

I wasn't sure why you were giving your COVID update in the gun violence thread, and then....oh.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• My wife has finally agreed we need to GTFO of this shithole of a country. She's looking at positions in Canada and has a cousin in the Toronto area.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  My wife has finally agreed we need to GTFO of this shithole of a country. She's looking at positions in Canada and has a cousin in the Toronto area.
                  My brother has been talking about moving to Canada or Scotland or anywhere but here for the last couple years. I haven't thought much about it to this point, but there's not really much about being an American or living in America that is really appealing at this point to me (from the political and every day life perspective, lots of beautiful places to live here). I suppose it's just the inertia and effort to move that keeps me here EDIT- and the freedom of course.
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• My wife is from Jamaica, and as bad as the gun violence is here, it is a lot worse there, as is crime in general, and corruption, which is all a shame, because it is a beautiful country. We are pretty close to Canada now, but getting jobs up there would be tough for us, otherwise we would seriously consider it. I've heard it isn't as easy for most to relocate there and become citizens as one might think. Although, this chart makes it seem like it might be worth the effort for that that can manage it: https://www.nationmaster.com/country.../Violent-crime

Comment

• Just to put Sour Masher's story in perspective, I'm pretty sure I've never SEEN a handgun in anyone's possession other than a police officer, in my entire life.

Yes, I'm super grateful that I'm not American.

There was a suspected gunman in Toronto yesterday, which forced 4 schools in the area to lockdown. Police shot and killed the suspect. Turned out to be a pellet gun.

So our police are just as corrupt and stupid, and willing to assault or kill first and ask questions never. But less guns makes it much safer in general.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

So our police are just as corrupt and stupid, and willing to assault or kill first and ask questions never. But less guns makes it much safer in general.
                        Canada actually has a lot of guns for its population compared to most of the world, ranking 7th in 2017. Of course, compared to the US, they are far behind. This is one area where the US far outpaces the world with more than twice as many guns per million people than any other country in the world. In fact, doing the math from this chart, just eyeballing it, we may have more civilian fire arms in this country than the rest of the world combined, which is a special level of insanity, and the vast majority of those 400 million guns are unregistered--just about a million of the 400 million are registered. The only other countries in the world with more than 18 million civilian owned fire arms are India, China, and Pakistan, and their guns to people ratio are way lower--like 5 fire arms per 100 people vs 120 per 100 people in the US. We complain so much about our military spending, which far outpaces the rest of the world, but our civilian spending on fire arms is just as absurd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estima...ita_by_country

Comment

Canada actually has a lot of guns for its population compared to most of the world, ranking 7th in 2017. Of course, compared to the US, they are far behind. This is one area where the US far outpaces the world with more than twice as many guns per million people than any other country in the world. In fact, doing the math from this chart, just eyeballing it, we may have more civilian fire arms in this country than the rest of the world combined, which is a special level of insanity, and the vast majority of those 400 million guns are unregistered--just about a million of the 400 million are registered. The only other countries in the world with more than 18 million civilian owned fire arms are India, China, and Pakistan, and their guns to people ratio are way lower--like 5 fire arms per 100 people vs 120 per 100 people in the US. We complain so much about our military spending, which far outpaces the rest of the world, but our civilian spending on fire arms is just as absurd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estima...ita_by_country
                          All true, but Canada did manage to ban 1500 varieties of assault rifles, and has much stricter regulations (storage, mag size, background checks, etc). Currently, Trudeau is contemplating a nationwide handgun ban. We use our guns for hunting and target practice. That's about it. Assault weapons and handguns are for military and police, respectively.

I agree with your point though, assuming I'm reading it right. Guns are an American cultural problem, that isn't going away any time soon.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• There has been a rash of threats to local businesses and schools this week. Our local Wegmans got a threat to shoot it up and I guess folks took it seriously, as I have never seen it emptier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              I honestly think they'd be better at it than the police, as absurd as that is. This better end with the whole Uvalde police department out on their asses. I can't imagine leaving elementary kids in a school with a shooter and standing outside. I'd be fucking scared, but I can't imagine doing anything but going in for them. I thought the lesson of Columbine was that really bad things happen when you cordon off the building and wait outside.

At least when the Border Patrol got there, they went in. I'm no fan of the Border Patrol by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they acted like men and tried to protect the children.
                              I take back everything good I said about BORTAC. Apparently they stood around for 35 minutes after they got there until they finally breached the classroom door. Inexcusable.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Three different copycat situations, each involving an arrest I believe, where individuals have announced their intentions to shoot up a school. One of those was a TEN year old fourth grader.
                                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                                X