No announcement yet.

Gun violence epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this massacre doesn't put an end to the "good guy with a gun" nonsense, nothing will. As more information comes out about the actions and inaction of law enforcement, the worse it looks. Texas law enforcement officials and, of course, Governor Abbott himself, have now been caught red-handed in multiple lies about their response.

There are videos of the police response, or lack thereof. In one video, which I won't post here because it is severely triggering, parents and families can be seen to be begging, screaming, and pleading with the cops to do something, anything. The cops respond with aggression toward the parents, threatening to taze them and actually taking one down to the ground. One of the vocal parents is the mother of one of the victims, Amerie Garza. She’s wearing the same outfit from earlier in the day at her award ceremony. The parents found out their daughter was dead when her dad, a medical aide, was assisting another child covered in blood. She was hysterically crying because her “best friend had died”. When he asked her name, she said Amerie, his daughter.

Be careful if you go seeking out the couple videos that are available - they show the screams of anguished parents, the cruelty and indifference of the police, and the overwhelming number of law enforcement officers just standing outside. Later, a spokesman bragged about how they had "engaged the shooter" immediately and then "contained" Ramos in the classroom --- a classroom full of little children. Of course, that was also a lie - Ramos had locked himself in there. Finally, ignoring protocol, one of the cops who eventually breached the school an estimated 40 minutes to 1 hour after the start of the massacre called out to see if any kids needed help. One kid yelled out "help!" in response and was subsequently targeted and murdered by the killer.

Seeing the staggering incompetence of dozens of fully geared out soldier cops is mind blowing --- but we want Lunch Lady Doris and the school nurse to be packing heat so they can be the ones to stop school shooters?
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      --- but we want Lunch Lady Doris and the school nurse to be packing heat so they can be the ones to stop school shooters?
      There's a good chance they'd be more effective than the on site armed resource officers or local PD.

Fucking spineless cowards--They are so damn brave when confronting and unarmed individual or person sleeping or running away from them--THEN they feel brave enough to shoot you in the back several times, but when there's a guy with a gun and dozens of armed LEOs a round, they're too scared. If you're afraid to die in the line of duty "Serving and Protecting" Turn in your fucking badge.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Seeing the staggering incompetence of dozens of fully geared out soldier cops is mind blowing --- but we want Lunch Lady Doris and the school nurse to be packing heat so they can be the ones to stop school shooters?
        I honestly think they'd be better at it than the police, as absurd as that is. This better end with the whole Uvalde police department out on their asses. I can't imagine leaving elementary kids in a school with a shooter and standing outside. I'd be fucking scared, but I can't imagine doing anything but going in for them. I thought the lesson of Columbine was that really bad things happen when you cordon off the building and wait outside.

At least when the Border Patrol got there, they went in. I'm no fan of the Border Patrol by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they acted like men and tried to protect the children.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• And while parents were begging the police to do something, anything, to stop their children from being murdered, it turns out some of the police did go in and save some children--their own. They came right back out leaving all the other kids behind and waiting it out. At one point, as a defense against their inaction, the police actually said, "we have guys going in to get kids, we are working," only for it to be revealed they just went to get their own kids and came back out while other cops were brutalizing other parents whose children were dying inside.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...zkH?li=BBnbfcL

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            I honestly think they'd be better at it than the police, as absurd as that is. This better end with the whole Uvalde police department out on their asses. I can't imagine leaving elementary kids in a school with a shooter and standing outside. I'd be fucking scared, but I can't imagine doing anything but going in for them. I thought the lesson of Columbine was that really bad things happen when you cordon off the building and wait outside.

At least when the Border Patrol got there, they went in. I'm no fan of the Border Patrol by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they acted like men and tried to protect the children.
            The BP brought Bortac (their special forces-esqe tactical team) so they waited for specially trained LEOs to enter--which as bene pointed out--eviscerates the 'good guy with a gun' trope.

I have to imagine if it were one of my kids or grandkids, they would have had to arrest me to stop me from going in on my own--I might have ended up dead, but I would feel compelled to do something.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Adding to Bene's account of police cowardice, Twitter is saying that multiple cops ignored protocol when inside the school and sought out their own children.

Police in Uvalde take up 40% of the municipal budget. I wonder how much that will increase when they get sued into oblivion for their inaction, and for assaulting the parents.

Relying on political will to solve this is a fool's game. Like with most things, the only way to provoke government into action is public protest. Biden is absolutely the worst leader for this moment. A born loser.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                And while parents were begging the police to do something, anything, to stop their children from being murdered, it turns out some of the police did go in and save some children--their own. They came right back out leaving all the other kids behind and waiting it out. At one point, as a defense against their inaction, the police actually said, "we have guys going in to get kids, we are working," only for it to be revealed they just went to get their own kids and came back out while other cops were brutalizing other parents whose children were dying inside.

Well in a small town like Uvalde having 21 families (not counting their extended families and friends) Anger at the local PD/Sherriff's and politicians--I can see a wholesale house cleaning of their local Govt/Law Enforcement systems, not to mention the millions in litigation/compensation that will essentially further devastate this community.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  Well in a small town like Uvalde having 21 families (not counting their extended families and friends) Anger at the local PD/Sherriff's and politicians--I can see a wholesale house cleaning of their local Govt/Law Enforcement systems, not to mention the millions in litigation/compensation that will essentially further devastate this community.
                  Yes, I agree. Likely will be enough anger to change the guard. But by law in Texas they cannot reduce their police budget.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    Yes, I agree. Likely will be enough anger to change the guard. But by law in Texas they cannot reduce their police budget.
                    Well hopefully they can elect/appoint people who will use it wiser and for the greater good of the community.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      And while parents were begging the police to do something, anything, to stop their children from being murdered, it turns out some of the police did go in and save some children--their own. They came right back out leaving all the other kids behind and waiting it out. At one point, as a defense against their inaction, the police actually said, "we have guys going in to get kids, we are working," only for it to be revealed they just went to get their own kids and came back out while other cops were brutalizing other parents whose children were dying inside.

We were posting the same thing simultaneously, but thanks for adding these details and article to my conjecture.

Police culture commonly uses their authority for personal gain with no repercussions. Not at all surprising to see them pull this cowardly shit.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• This whole thing is so unbelievable and frustrating and draining, it's hard for me to pull myself together enough to be a normal human being right now. My son is *exactly* in the age range of these poor little children who were torn apart by a weapon of war, purchased with ease by a fucking teenager. Parents and relatives have been giving DNA samples presumably because some of the kids were so shredded by the explosive rounds from this assault weapon that they cannot be identified by sight.

And the right wing horrorshow running things in Texas immediately praised the heroic actions of the responders, because that's just what we do. They were more outraged at the temerity of a private citizen, Beto O'Rourke, daring to interrupt them during their shared press conference than the fact that 18 little children got turned into corpses. Hell, Governor Abbott and world class piece of shit Ted Cruz are headed right off to an NRA event tomorrow in Houston with the fat, orange sack of garbage. Abbott attended a fundraiser right after the press conference. They're talking about how doors - DOORS - are to blame for the massacre and not the fact that in this country it's a walk in the park to purchase a weapon of war along with hundreds of rounds of ammo and head down the street and lay waste to little children.

I hate these people. I hate them. I hate the right wing gun nuts. I hate the talking heads who get on TV and talk about how the right answer is to turn our schools into penitentiaries, that if only there were MORE weapons then this wouldn't have been such a "soft target". Fox News personalities are blaming KIDS THEMSELVES, since apparently fear of being a snitch was what prevented teenagers from reporting Ramos to authorities. I hate the police who did nothing. I hate the police who acted with aggression toward the panicking parents. I hate the right wing nutjobs who are proclaiming from the rooftops that this isn't a moment for politics, that our kids should actually be taught that the cousin fuckers wandering around armed to the teeth in Starbucks should be revered.

And I fucking hate that I am going to have to talk this over with my son and try to make sense of this country and the notion that a whole hell of a lot of people feel it's acceptable to lay the corpses of our own children at the altar of gun worship. It feels so hopeless. Nothing is going to change. It never does. It just gets worse.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

This whole thing is so unbelievable and frustrating and draining, it's hard for me to pull myself together enough to be a normal human being right now. My son is *exactly* in the age range of these poor little children who were torn apart by a weapon of war, purchased with ease by a fucking teenager. Parents and relatives have been giving DNA samples presumably because some of the kids were so shredded by the explosive rounds from this assault weapon that they cannot be identified by sight.

And the right wing horrorshow running things in Texas immediately praised the heroic actions of the responders, because that's just what we do. They were more outraged at the temerity of a private citizen, Beto O'Rourke, daring to interrupt them during their shared press conference than the fact that 18 little children got turned into corpses. Hell, Governor Abbott and world class piece of shit Ted Cruz are headed right off to an NRA event tomorrow in Houston with the fat, orange sack of garbage. Abbott attended a fundraiser right after the press conference. They're talking about how doors - DOORS - are to blame for the massacre and not the fact that in this country it's a walk in the park to purchase a weapon of war along with hundreds of rounds of ammo and head down the street and lay waste to little children.

I hate these people. I hate them. I hate the right wing gun nuts. I hate the talking heads who get on TV and talk about how the right answer is to turn our schools into penitentiaries, that if only there were MORE weapons then this wouldn't have been such a "soft target". Fox News personalities are blaming KIDS THEMSELVES, since apparently fear of being a snitch was what prevented teenagers from reporting Ramos to authorities. I hate the police who did nothing. I hate the police who acted with aggression toward the panicking parents. I hate the right wing nutjobs who are proclaiming from the rooftops that this isn't a moment for politics, that our kids should actually be taught that the cousin fuckers wandering around armed to the teeth in Starbucks should be revered.

And I fucking hate that I am going to have to talk this over with my son and try to make sense of this country and the notion that a whole hell of a lot of people feel it's acceptable to lay the corpses of our own children at the altar of gun worship. It feels so hopeless. Nothing is going to change. It never does. It just gets worse.
                          yeah.

I can't say "good posting" because it's a sad posting. But...yeah.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            Well hopefully they can elect/appoint people who will use it wiser and for the greater good of the community.
                            As fine as Beto is, he probably won't win the governorship. But, if Matthew McConaughey changes his mind after this -- and he's from Uvalde -- he CAN win. I really don't like celebrity politicians, but if this is what it would take for change, then do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              As fine as Beto is, he probably won't win the governorship. But, if Matthew McConaughey changes his mind after this -- and he's from Uvalde -- he CAN win. I really don't like celebrity politicians, but if this is what it would take for change, then do it.
                              Funny, I was just thinking this--Matthew for Governor, Alright...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• One of the mothers who was insistent with the police that they do anything at all was handcuffed and arrested by federal marshals, as unbelievable as that sounds, who told her she was "impeding an investigation". She was able to speak with local police while cuffed, some of whom she knew, and secure her release. When she was freed, she snuck away from the crowd, jumped a fence, snuck into the school, and then retrieved her own two children from inside and took them to safety.

As she was being handcuffed, another father was thrown to the ground by police and another was pepper sprayed.

Police cowardice is particularly noteworthy because, as we now know, one of the children died later at the hospital, meaning that the police one-hour delay may very well have cost this child his life.

Comment

Working...
                                X