No announcement yet.

Gun violence epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Kyle Rittenhouse walks free and is a celebrity to 40 percent of the country...not hard to figure this is a popular gig.

Comment

• Heartbreaking. And nothing will get done to address this, just like after Sandy Hook. Our children get murdered and we do nothing. The Buffalo shooter lived just a few miles from me, and we also had a 12 year old girl murdered here a couple of weeks ago in a drive by. More people means more disturbed people. More disturbed people with more guns than people in a society is going to lead to continued acts of random mass murder. But the gun lobby does not care. They will fight against any gun restrictions no matter what and politicians are either in their pockets or too afraid to tackle this issue in any meaningful way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        20 children and 3 adults dead. It's a second to fourth grade campus. My heart is broken.

Edit: some places are saying 18 children and 1 teacher.
        Plus another 10 or so injured.

Sad, sad day.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Heartbreaking. And nothing will get done to address this, just like after Sandy Hook. Our children get murdered and we do nothing. The Buffalo shooter lived just a few miles from me, and we also had a 12 year old girl murdered here a couple of weeks ago in a drive by. More people means more disturbed people. More disturbed people with more guns than people in a society is going to lead to continued acts of random mass murder. But the gun lobby does not care. They will fight against any gun restrictions no matter what and politicians are either in their pockets or too afraid to tackle this issue in any meaningful way.
          I wouldn’t be so sure. Thanks to Texas’s ingenuity with using vigilantism to stop abortion, which right now is a Constitutional right, blue states need to do the same with assault rifles and/or other semi-automatic weapons, and even body armor. Enact a law that vigilanties can turn in those who buy these weapons for a bounty. Blue states have to do this now, even at a cost of losing the house and senate, since the GOPers don’t give two shits.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            I wouldn’t be so sure. Thanks to Texas’s ingenuity with using vigilantism to stop abortion, which right now is a Constitutional right, blue states need to do the same with assault rifles and/or other semi-automatic weapons, and even body armor. Enact a law that vigilanties can turn in those who buy these weapons for a bounty. Blue states have to do this now, even at a cost of losing the house and senate, since the GOPers don’t give two shits.
            The difference is, SCOTUS will toss them all.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• So... the right wing is supporting, emboldening, and encouraging domestic terrorists, in the 1.5 years since the first attempted insurrection of the government. Gee, I wonder why?!?!?

Canada is looking to distance itself from the US, as we see the writing on the wall for the fall of your Democracy.

From CBC News this morning, this article surprised me a bit, but it totally makes sense. I've clipped the most relevant sections.

Canada Should Re-think Relationship With U.S. as Democratic Backsliding Worsens: Security Experts

Originally posted by CBC News
              Canada's intelligence community will have to grapple with the growing influence of anti-democratic forces in the United States — including the threat posed by conservative media outlets like Fox News — says a new report from a task force of intelligence experts. [...]

Thomas Juneau, co-director of the task force and associate professor at the School of Public and International Affairs at the University of Ottawa, said that while Canada's right-wing extremism is homegrown, cross-border connections between extremist groups are alarming.

"There are growing transnational ties between right-wing extremists here and in the U.S., the movement of funds, the movement of people, the movement of ideas, the encouragement, the support by media, such as Fox News and other conservative media," he said.

He pointed to state Sen. Doug Mastriano's recent win in the Republican primary for governor of Pennsylvania. Mastriano is a well-known proponent of the lie that election fraud caused former president Donald Trump's loss in 2020.

"There are serious risks of democratic backsliding in the U.S. and at this point, that is not a theoretical risk," Juneau said.

"So all of that is a serious threat to our sovereignty, to our security, and in some cases, to our democratic institutions ... We need to rethink our relationship with the United States." [...]

The report points to the convoy protest that occupied downtown Ottawa in February and associated blockades in a handful of border towns earlier this winter. What started as a broad protest against COVID-19 restrictions morphed into a even broader rally against government authority itself, with some protesters calling for the overthrow of the elected government.

The Canadian protests drew support from politicians in the U.S. and from conservative media outlets, including Fox News, says the report.

"This may not have represented foreign interference in the conventional sense, since it was not the result of actions of a foreign government. But it did represent, arguably, a greater threat to Canadian democracy than the actions of any state other than the United States," the report says.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• There are already warnings from the evil side of the political spectrum that we better not dare even talk about gun control measures in the wake of the massacre of (now) nineteen little kids. It's not the guns, it's mental illness (which we also won't fund). Killers will find a way to kill even if their guns are taken away. We actually need *more* guns in our schools (because since guns make things more safe, we are easily the safest country on earth already, right?). We need armed officers in every school - ignoring that TWO armed officers engaged this teenager with a gun and the teenager still breached the school and wiped out an entire classroom.

But in a state led by a racist monster like Governor Abbott, it won't matter. He doesn't care. There will be nothing done. Oh, maybe he'll put together some cynical document just like he did after the last massacre at Santa Fe High in Texas and then, predictably, do exactly nothing about it. He'll pay lip service to red flag laws or some other such measure in order to placate the rightfully outraged at least for a couple weeks until the stench of the blood of children fades from his hands. Well, I suppose he won't do *nothing*. He'll end up loosening gun restrictions and brag about it on Twitter, just like he did last time when instead of implementing any common sense measures supported by an overwhelming majority of this country, he'll pass a law permitting open carry without a permit - you know, things that help keep our children safe, because that's what the braintrust in Texas really cares about.

In the meantime, let's take a moment of silence to thank those brave school children who laid down their lives to protect everyone's right to bear arms. It's just the price we pay and we gladly pay it. Feels so good to be free.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Beto facing down the Texan GOP clown car. Surprised this didn't scare Ted Cruz enough to make him flee to Cancun. What a pack of worthless politicians surrounding that table. Embarrassments, one and all.

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    Plus another 10 or so injured.

Sad, sad day.
                    and I'm sure the survivors and going to be mentally scarred. Indeed a sad, sad day.
                    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• I just can't say anything about how I feel without landing on the FBI, CIA and secret service watch list--Again.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I mean, as more information comes out, the "good guy with a gun" hero narrative gets thinner and thinner. What the hell happened? Did the resource officer engage the guy or not? Abbott, who is a pathological liar and a piece of trash, can't be trusted to tell even one sliver of truth. So far his reassuring words have been, "Well, it could have been worse." Was the murderer wearing body armor? Doesn't seem that he was. And cops, potentially MANY cops, got there within minutes, or so we hear. How the living fuck did this murderer get "cordoned off" in a two classroom area where he turned precious little children, exactly the same age as my own child, to torn up corpses? How the fuck was he in there for an HOUR? Why the fuck is it so simple to purchase two weapons of war along with several hundred rounds of ammo? Why do we have to live like this? Is this really what we think being free is?

Reports coming now of parents at the scene, pleading, screaming, begging police to do anything - anything at all. A man was overheard encouraging others to storm the building since the police weren't doing anything at all. It has now been reported that this man's daughter was one of the children murdered in the massacre. I feel so angry about all this it's hard to know what to do with myself.

Comment

• Here's 50 fucking pathological "solutions" to the gun violence epidemic on Fox.

I'm so sorry you guys have to go through this and feel so helpless. It's unconscionable that every lever of power has been bought up by monied interests, and the right wing psychos are just devouring the horseshit being fed to them.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            I mean, as more information comes out, the "good guy with a gun" hero narrative gets thinner and thinner. What the hell happened? Did the resource officer engage the guy or not? Abbott, who is a pathological liar and a piece of trash, can't be trusted to tell even one sliver of truth. So far his reassuring words have been, "Well, it could have been worse." Was the murderer wearing body armor? Doesn't seem that he was. And cops, potentially MANY cops, got there within minutes, or so we hear. How the living fuck did this murderer get "cordoned off" in a two classroom area where he turned precious little children, exactly the same age as my own child, to torn up corpses? How the fuck was he in there for an HOUR? Why the fuck is it so simple to purchase two weapons of war along with several hundred rounds of ammo? Why do we have to live like this? Is this really what we think being free is?

Reports coming now of parents at the scene, pleading, screaming, begging police to do anything - anything at all. A man was overheard encouraging others to storm the building since the police weren't doing anything at all. It has now been reported that this man's daughter was one of the children murdered in the massacre. I feel so angry about all this it's hard to know what to do with myself.
                            Discussion on my town Facebook page and it’s the same arguments you’d expect:

1. MENTAL HEALTH, guns don’t kill anyone, durrrrrr.

2. He could have done this with a knife! Durrrrr

3. No law can prevent crazy evil people from doing crazy evil things (then why have any laws at all?)

And so on.

I’m not professing to have all the answers and I think we all know that if we wanted to get rid of every gun, it’s neither realistic nor practical, but how is doing NOTHING the solution? I shouldn’t have to have anxiety sending my kids to school every day.

Comment

• When our kids show us they are not responsible enough to own a phone or drive a car or whatever, we take it away from them. Clearly we as a society have demonstrated that we are not responsible enough to have guns. I know it can't be done, but the only solution would be repealing the 2nd amendment and having very strict gun allowances. No other little 'solutions' will have any real effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                                When our kids show us they are not responsible enough to own a phone or drive a car or whatever, we take it away from them. Clearly we as a society have demonstrated that we are not responsible enough to have guns. I know it can't be done, but the only solution would be repealing the 2nd amendment and having very strict gun allowances. No other little 'solutions' will have any real effect.
                                This

As long as the 2nd amendment exists as is, nothing meaningful will be done

That which is done will either be overturned by conservative federal appeals judges(like recently in California) or the Supreme Court .

Even if safeguards are put in place and manage to survive the judicial process, to include repealing and revising the 2nd there will still be enforcement issues as most law enforcement agencies and officers have looked the other way or flat out refused to enforce existing gun safety measures

Finally should they manage to accomplish the impossible and legislate meaningful gun control with the support of all three legislative branches. Law enforcement and governmental agencies there will still remain many Americans who will refuse to comply.

I don’t see any solution that realistically can fix this we’re too far down the rabbit hole.

Sorry to be such a downer.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X