Gun violence epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun violence epidemic

Our country is diseased and the Republican party is preventing any attempts at a cure. Ammosexuals please don't bother quoting the 2nd Amendment unless you're acknowledging the full wording including "well-regulated". He is a great Twitter thread about details of the epidemic.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Ammosexuals please don't bother quoting the 2nd Amendment unless you're acknowledging the full wording including "well-regulated".
    Well I guess as has been established in prior discussions -- I am not allowed to respond. Have fun guys....
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Well I guess as has been established in prior discussions -- I am not allowed to respond. Have fun guys....
      First of all, I never called you that, merely acknowledged that millions of them exist. Second, if you want to bring up 2nd Amendment just don't pick and choose the parts that the extremists use to justify their positions of unrestricted access to any and all firearms.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

And we've already hashed out our positions, this was just more to have a thread to document the epidemic. Quite shocking that there wasn't already a thread to be honest but indicative of how numb we have become to what the rest of the world recoils at in horror and befuddlement.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

I have never held the position that citizens should have "unrestricted access to and and all firearms".
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

And we've already hashed out our positions, this was just more to have a thread to document the epidemic. Quite shocking that there wasn't already a thread to be honest but indicative of how numb we have become to what the rest of the world recoils at in horror and befuddlement.
            Hey, here’s an idea. Let’s start a thread on religion too! Sorry, I’m a bit snaky today.

Any way like with many issues I don’t think we are too far off on how to fix this. The extremes are “take away all guns” or “you can pry my gun out of my dead hand when you come to take it.” Those of us in middle of this issue agree that many things could and should be done on this issue. Stop using the Constitution as a crutch when it’s continent to your argument (not you specifically, you as in whomever is taking thier stand in either side of this). What’s practical and possible. Again blaming the GOP is silly. They represent a large constituency that is a high percentage of gun owners, the vast vast majority of which are responsible in this country. To blame the Dems would be just as silly because they represent groups opposed to gun ownership. Neither side wants to “lose” on this issue, like many others, so no one ever wins! Compromise would be great but it’s become impossible without some serious sacrifices on both fronts. The “take away all guns” people need to realize that is a nonstarter with reposinsinle gun owners. The gun owners need to realize that through back ground checks and mental health sreening is necessary to better control the use of guns.
            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
              I have never held the position that citizens should have "unrestricted access to and and all firearms".
              Again, not claiming you have, but when people ignore the"well- regulated " language of the 2nd Amendment they put themselves in the same frame of argument.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                Hey, here’s an idea. Let’s start a thread on religion too! Sorry, I’m a bit snaky today.

Any way like with many issues I don’t think we are too far off on how to fix this. The extremes are “take away all guns” or “you can pry my gun out of my dead hand when you come to take it.” Those of us in middle of this issue agree that many things could be done. Again blaming the GOP is silly. They represent a large percentage of gun owners who are responsible in this country. To blame the Dems would be just as silly because they represent groups opposed to gun ownership. Neither side wants to “lose” on this issue, like many others, so no one ever wins! Compromise would be great but it’s become impossible without some serious sacrifices on both fronts. The “take away all guns” people need to realize that is a nonstarter with reposinsinle gun owners. The gun owners need to realize that through back ground checks and mental health sreening is necessary to better control the use of guns.
                Sorry your bothsidesism isn't going to fly on this one. Democrats have offered plenty of sensible gun control measures and the GOP hasn't done squat except block them.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Sorry your bothsidesism isn't going to fly on this one. Democrats have offered plenty of sensible gun control measures and the GOP hasn't done squat.
                  Well, your onesideism hasn’t really worked has it? Maybe find a way so both side hurt a bit. It’s called compromise. If your going to just play bothsideisms I’m out of this discussion as it serves no useful purpose but to end conversations.
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Sorry your bothsidesism isn't going to fly on this one. Democrats have offered plenty of sensible gun control measures and the GOP hasn't done squat except block them.
                    I'm with DMT on this, Bernie. I don't think Democrats have seriously pushed "take away all guns" or anything close to it. For better or worse, the Democrats have been trying to pick away at the edges, and even that has been soundly and widely rebuffed by GOP legislators.

Comment

Our country is diseased and the Republican party is preventing any attempts at a cure. Ammosexuals please don't bother quoting the 2nd Amendment unless you're acknowledging the full wording including "well-regulated". He is a great Twitter thread about details of the epidemic.

https://twitter.com/meganranney/stat...438949888?s=19
                      Terrible tragedy, no winners.

Regarding "well regulated Militia" we need to understand what the original Framers intended back then. Back then all who could carry a gun were militia. The intent was that the government could not take away guns. Well regulated did not mean government regulated. The Second Amendment itself, the right to keep and bear arms is expressly retained by "the people," not the states.

Armed law abiding citizens pose no threat to law abiding citizens.

That said we do have an epidemic of gun violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Terrible tragedy, no winners.

Regarding "well regulated Militia" we need to understand what the original Framers intended back then. Back then all who could carry a gun were militia. The intent was that the government could not take away guns. Well regulated did not mean government regulated. The Second Amendment itself, the right to keep and bear arms is expressly retained by "the people," not the states.

Armed law abiding citizens pose no threat to law abiding citizens.

That said we do have an epidemic of gun violence.
                        And "arms" as the Framers knew them couldn't kill scores of people a minute.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          I'm with DMT on this, Bernie. I don't think Democrats have seriously pushed "take away all guns" or anything close to it. For better or worse, the Democrats have been trying to pick away at the edges, and even that has been soundly and widely rebuffed by GOP legislators.
                          While it’s an entirely different/bad Analogy or example, but the GOP largely consists of people who are opposed to unions. When the GOP, like Walker did in Wisconsin, works to bust unions, the Dems fight like MFers because that’s their base. Big money and lots of votes come from union support. You’re asking GOPers to leave large swaths it thier base behind for a greater good that they just can’t see. The Dems all complain how much the NRA supports the GOP but would you give up unions as an offset? Yes, I know it’s a crap argument but it’s not entirely a bad comparaion when asking one party to abondon it’s base.

I know it’s a straw man and I only playing devils advocate. I don’t own guns, never have. But I’ve thought about it.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            For better or worse, the Democrats have been trying to pick away at the edges, and even that has been soundly and widely rebuffed by GOP legislators.
                            This is the very thing that each side is afraid of. Give an inch take a mile. This applies to most compromises by both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                              While it’s an entirely different/bad Analogy or example, but the GOP largely consists of people who are opposed to unions. When the GOP, like Walker did in Wisconsin, works to bust unions, the Dems fight like MFers because that’s their base. Big money and lots of votes come from union support. You’re asking GOPers to leave large swaths it thier base behind for a greater good that they just can’t see. The Dems all complain how much the NRA supports the GOP but would you give up unions as an offset? Yes, I know it’s a crap argument but it’s not entirely a bad comparaion when asking one party to abondon it’s base.

I know it’s a straw man and I only playing devils advocate. I don’t own guns, never have. But I’ve thought about it.
                              Considering that most gun owners support reasonable regulations, how is that abandoning their base? Unless you're arguing NRA leadership (aka money) is their base. I would agree with you there.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                              X