Gun violence epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Hmmmm, maybe it's those tough gun owner regulations everyone was saying didn't and wouldn't work a couple of years ago
    Actually it is not. They have been in place for awhile. The article attributes better technology (cameras, etc.), an additional 300 detectives as well as programs that reach out to young men to give them better options.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Actually it is not. They have been in place for awhile. The article attributes better technology (cameras, etc.), an additional 300 detectives as well as programs that reach out to young men to give them better options.
      San Francisco with a 56 year low (41 homicides).

The remarkable recent downturn in violent crime, city officials said, is the result of a strategy by law enforcement and community groups to focus resources on crime-challenged neighborhoods to stem bloodshed.

Comment

• In the past twelve years concealed permits have increased by over 300 percent; homicides, meanwhile, have been dropping since the early 90s, with the murder rate 5.3 percent lower than it was in 2009, at the beginning of the concealed-carry boom. Persistent prognostication notwithstanding, the rise of concealed carry has not actually led to more accidental gun deaths, either; such deaths are at historic lows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          More surveillance was my first guess. I also imagine an ebb and flow with employment numbers.

Comment

• A couple of weeks ago, Canada had a mass shooter kill 23 people. It was a crazy case, starting in a rural area with the killer starting large fires to draw people out, then killing them. He then dressed as law enforcement, and drove a car disguised as an RCMP vehicle on a 18 hour chase with more murders. RCMP were negligent, as they tweeted warnings of the killer on the loose, but didn't use the emergency text system, which is in constant use to alert people of abducted children.

Anyway, mass shootings have increased in frequency in recent years in Canada. In response, Canada did the unthinkable today, banning 1500 styles of assault weapons. Even I didn't expect this big of a response. Basically, all the styles of assault weapons used in mass shootings have been banned, immediately. Mandatory government buy-back is being imposed for the next couple of years, then it switches to a criminal offense to own one. Buy-back said to cost upwards of $1Bn.

"These weapons were designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time," Trudeau said. "There is no use and no place for such weapons in Canada."

While he acknowledged that most firearms owners are law-abiding citizens, he said hunters don't need this sort of firepower.

"You don't need an AR-15 to bring down a deer," he said.
            I'm sure some guns will get around the legislation that shouldn't. I'm sure some mass shootings will still be perpetrated with guns of lesser firepower. It also seems to me that eliminating these weapons will save lives, including those of law enforcement officers. Seems like a win-win all around.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...-ban-1.5552131
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              A couple of weeks ago, Canada had a mass shooter kill 23 people. It was a crazy case, starting in a rural area with the killer starting large fires to draw people out, then killing them. He then dressed as law enforcement, and drove a car disguised as an RCMP vehicle on a 18 hour chase with more murders. RCMP were negligent, as they tweeted warnings of the killer on the loose, but didn't use the emergency text system, which is in constant use to alert people of abducted children.

Anyway, mass shootings have increased in frequency in recent years in Canada. In response, Canada did the unthinkable today, banning 1500 styles of assault weapons. Even I didn't expect this big of a response. Basically, all the styles of assault weapons used in mass shootings have been banned, immediately. Mandatory government buy-back is being imposed for the next couple of years, then it switches to a criminal offense to own one. Buy-back said to cost upwards of $1Bn.

I'm sure some guns will get around the legislation that shouldn't. I'm sure some mass shootings will still be perpetrated with guns of lesser firepower. It also seems to me that eliminating these weapons will save lives, including those of law enforcement officers. Seems like a win-win all around.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...-ban-1.5552131
              I'd love for that to happen here--The ban I mean--but you know--Murica.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I guess everyone really does need to own an AR-15
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• And of course the recent protests and riots have led to a massive run on guns in the US. Just like the pandemic did. Just like Obama did with four years of far-mongering he would take them all away. Just like, well, anything. Man, do we love our guns. We already had more guns than people in the US, and we account for about half of the world's population of privately held guns. But in America, being number 1 isn't enough--we need to DOMINATE. Really, even if we made sweeping reforms, at this point, I don't know how we could get enough guns out of circulation to matter.

We have more guns than houses. We have more guns than cars in the US. We have more guns than people. I think we are going for ore guns than grains of sand at this point.

We already had 121 guns per 100 people before the recent runs. That is double the second place Falkland Islands. About 600 times that of South Korea and Japan, and thousands of times the gun ownership of Indonesia, a country of similar population to our own that somehow continues to survive without them, and people there, by all accounts, are a friendly, law-abiding bunch, despite not having the fear of being shot for being impolite or for running in the wrong neighborhood. Who knew?!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tops...7Go?li=BBnbfcN
                  Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-01-2020, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• This was taken from npr (WMAU 88.5) dated July 10th 2019

The goal of the National African American Gun Association is to introduce black Americans to guns and also instruct them on how to use them.

Some see the group as an alternative to the National Rifle Association for black gun owners, but it has some notable differences. Organizers say it is a civil rights organization that aims to build community and promote self-protection.

Since its creation in 2015, the group has seen rapid growth with roughly 30,000 members and 75 chapters nationwide. Leaders expect another 25 chapters by next year.

Overall, 4 in 10 Americans say there is a firearm in their household, according to a 2017 study by Pew Research Center. Broken down by race, 24% of African Americans say they personally own a gun, compared with 36% of whites and 15% of Hispanics.

Comment

• (from Fox News)
                      New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Thursday that her office has filed a lawsuit against the National Rifle Association and its leadership, including Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, looking to dissolve the organization.

James accused the organization of having "a culture of self-dealing," taking millions of dollars for personal use and granting contracts that benefited leaders' family and associates.

"The NRA's influence has been so powerful that the organization went unchecked for decades while top executives funneled millions into their own pockets," James said in a statement. "The NRA is fraught with fraud and abuse, which is why, today, we seek to dissolve the NRA, because no organization is above the law."
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The NRA has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy.
                        https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/busin...xas/index.html

The group said it plans to leave New York State, where it was founded in 1871, and reincorporate as a Texas nonprofit in a move it is calling "Project Freedom," according to a statement published Friday.
                        The NRA said Friday it is in its "strongest financial condition in years," but the restructuring will help to "streamline costs and expenses."
                        "This strategic plan represents a pathway to opportunity, growth and progress," Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's CEO and executive vice president, said in a statement Friday. "The NRA is pursuing reincorporating in a state that values the contributions of the NRA, celebrates our law-abiding members, and will join us as a partner in upholding constitutional freedom."

According to OpenSecrets.org, a site run by the Center for Responsive Politics, the NRA has spent a total of $139 million on campaigns and lobbying since 2000. But its real political power comes from its five million members, many of whom base their vote on candidates' support or opposition to gun control measures.

New York Attorney General Letitia James responded to the group's bankruptcy announcement Friday in a terse statement: "The NRA's claimed financial status has finally met its moral status: bankrupt."
                        She added, "while we review this filing, we will not allow the NRA to use this or any other tactic to evade accountability and my office's oversight."
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• DES MOINES, Iowa —
                          Gov. Kim Reynolds signed a bill Friday that will make handgun carry permits and background checks on unlicensed sales optional in Iowa.

As of July 1, people can buy handguns from private non-licensed sources such as websites, gun shows and individuals without a permit or background check. People also will be able to carry a gun into public places such as grocery stores and malls without prior safety training or a permit.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                            DES MOINES, Iowa —
                            Gov. Kim Reynolds signed a bill Friday that will make handgun carry permits and background checks on unlicensed sales optional in Iowa.

As of July 1, people can buy handguns from private non-licensed sources such as websites, gun shows and individuals without a permit or background check. People also will be able to carry a gun into public places such as grocery stores and malls without prior safety training or a permit.

https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-go...o-law/36016213
                            I believe Tennessee did the same thing this week as well.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              I believe Tennessee did the same thing this week as well.
                              Yeah, we aren't the only state that would sell their kids before their guns.

Comment

• I need to stay away from this thread because it irritates me so much.
                                Why would anyone propose such a bill?

The last thing I'd want to see is people carrying guns in public (grocery store).
                                I don't get the infatuation with guns.

Comment

Working...
                                X