California fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California fires

I saw the post on the other board that was mostly about climate science etc. but I wanted a place to complain more specifically.

The pictures aren't quite comparable since one is at sunset, but you'll get some idea of how far away we can see. Note the absence of the bridge in the second, if nothing else.

sunset.jpg

smoke.jpg

Air quality in SF is worse than Beijing, India, or wherever else you can think of, and the fires are still 200 miles away.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

my backyard yesterday... this would be a bright sunny day otherwise.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

that said, if this is the worst I get of things, I'll be blessed.

Comment

are you still in town? I figured without a job to hold you back you would have been out of there by now.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

is this a normal time of year for fires? I would have thought that summer should be the worst season, not mid-Nov
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            are you still in town? I figured without a job to hold you back you would have been out of there by now.
            i was up in Boise visiting friends over the weekend, but I've got 16 coming in for thanksgiving next week, so lots to do.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              is this a normal time of year for fires? I would have thought that summer should be the worst season, not mid-Nov
              the fire season for us goes until it starts raining, and it hasn't started raining....
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                hopefully it starts raining soon. We usually don't get rain until October, but even then we haven't been getting a lot. 2 years ago was okay... This year I've had 1 day of rain since April.

Comment

Another one:
                  Attached Files

Comment

MJL, that signature of yours is especially striking in contrast with your pictures. Whom does the quote belong to?
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Alistair Cooke. It's from the introduction to one of his collections of essays.

Context: https://books.google.com/books?id=15...bounce&f=false

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        Alistair Cooke. It's from the introduction to one of his collections of essays.

Context: https://books.google.com/books?id=15...bounce&f=false
                        umm...it is illegal in Illinois to bounce the baby.

Comment

supposed to rain Wednesday and Thursday... stuck with all the kids in the house on thanksgiving, but we need the rain.

Comment

Working...
                          X